News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Tunic BAI 1915 E/R.I.R.2 Mod. with MG Badge

Nice tunic Eric oh wait thats me!

Is this thread invisible? Blimey and took me 30mins to take the pictures ok ok its not best sunday church wear agreed but mongrel puppies make good pets too. :blush:

when I look at me new beauty I can hear the sound of the guns :sleep:

Guest Rick Research

The collar insignia are for 7th Battalion Landsturm of II. Armeekorps-- somebody know what town that was from?

It is almost impossible to imagine how such a tunic has managed to survive. All the fancy dress uniforms, tailored officer stuff, sure. But an issue enlisted jacket like this...wow. Not specifically (of course) but where'd it turn up?

Thank the collecting gods somebody tucked it away!!

These early war issue tunics (pre-Bluse) have always been tough to find, but especially today. Compared to the numbers of private purchase tunics and Bluse, finding one is like finding the Hope Diamond. The overwhelming majority of this pattern tunic were either worn out in the field or buried with their wearer.

Chip

Very nice indeed.

Does it still smell of sweat? I am constantly astounded how long the smell of sweat stays in old unfiroms...

No it has those orphea cards in the pockets actually I kind of like the smell and they're supposed to keep insects away..profumo Italiano :cool:

'Stettin' that's what I don't get aren't these Bavarian buttons, you think the collar id belongs or just been added?

Eric

Eric,

I see extra prong holes in the enlarged picture of the collar. The "7s" are not of the normal Landsturm number pattern. The devices may be period, but as you know, the Bavarian units wore a "B" on their collars as of April of 1915. The marking inside is to the training battalion of the b.RIR2 and B.A.I., which doesn't really jive with the insignia.

Chip

• 5 months later...

Chris,

It is a gabardine type wool, which is unusual for an issue tunic. I just noticed for the first time that it appears to have the remnants of Landsturm infantry shoulder straps sewn into the shoulder seam. So, it looks like it was used as a Landsturm tunic.

Chip