News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

So! NOBODY'S had a named Imperial sword since 2010?

Guest Rick Research

My usual Traveling Museum sources have been stymied too-- by some of the most arrogantly stupid dealers on Earth who seemingly believe the escaped-from-a-loonie-bin prices of the two "price setters" are SELLING not ASKING.

So if ANYBODY has been hanging onto named imperial swords looking for the usual Epic Tragedy... P-L-E-A-S-E start new threads and POST 'EM!!!!!

Rick,

We seem to get mostly combat related items here. I've never owned a personalized sword myself, primarily due to the usually inflated cost of such things, but also because I tend to prefer issue enlisted items. :unsure:

Chip

Edited by Chip

Guest Rick Research

Actually, the garden-variety "my name on the guard" IOD89 is not uncommon-- though without a regiment and date "Schmidt" isn't going to do anybody any good.

When a name CAN be tracked, a sword is as interesting a whole career project as a medal bar. :whistle:

Just don't forget how important the scabbard is for determining when it was worn!!!! :shame:

• 4 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Interesting! it hought both names would be easy to match but not so. have to root around among half a dozen or so for their common denominator. Back later. (I love doing this! if only it paid!)

Rick...If you can shed any light on these individulas I would be extremely grateful. Here are a couple of more shots of the names - apologies for the quality but the names are clear.

I have just received another IOD89 with a more intersting inscription, and I'll post that also.

Guest Rick Research

Yup, fine now! :beer: Having a REAL tough time trying to match up a Wilberg with a Roestel. Usually they were Kriegschule roommates giving each other graduation presents (regulars) or people in the same regiment Can't find that connection with these two names. :banger:

Start a new thread on the other one so we don't criss-cross information with this one.

Sometimes they're "easy" and other times... not so much.

Rick...here is the IOD in question, with the inscription on the guard rather than the blade. The phot is not clear so here it is:

'Dr. Reinhardt * A.h

s/l Dr. Staude * A.h

zu frohlichen Waffengang

Jena/Altenburg

Kriegsjahr(1.X1)1914

In the actual inscription there are no *, but a design that appears to posibly be a small letter 'e' within a larger letter 'S' followed by an exclamation mark '!'. This design is also engraved on the top of the pommel button.

The sentiment is quite clear ('have a lucky war'), and interesting being so soon after the start of hostilities, but I am confused as to:

What does the 'A.h' stand for...is it some kind of German medical rank/achievement?

What is the *...and why does it appear after BOTH names, and yet presumably the sword was a present to only one of them?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Guest Rick Research

:speechless1: Those camera shots are AWFUL blurs!!!! :speechless1:

Please just start a NEW THREAD on the two doctors sword-- it is LOST in here.

So far I have lots on the giver but unfortunately am still flailing at the recipient.