News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This was discussed at the Axis History Forum and Glenn and Dave have kindly provided some expert ID.

The occassion was 50 Jahre Befreiungshalle/100 Jahre Befreiungskriegs and 25 Thronjubiläum v Kaiser Wilhelm so everyone descended on Bavaria on 25.08.1913.

In the group pic we can even see v Bothmer as Kapitan of the Leibgarde d Hartschiere with the over the top lion on his helmut. Up front on the right Glen had ID'ed the man as GenAdj Wilhelm Walther v Walderstötten. I assume the Bavarians wore their sashes on the right shoulder? (Anecdotal bling bling pics of Bavarian portraits seem to suggest so) But since it was the Kaiser's visit, those that had them wore Prussian sashes on the left shoulder -- what sash was WvW wearing? And how about Ludwig III's sash, different from the Ksier which presumably was the Black Eagle order?

Cheers

Elwyn

Edited by freiherr

Elwyn,

I think you are confusing the Oberst-Zerimonienmeister Graf Moy who is to the King's left with his staff of office. General WvW is behind Graf Moy's right shoulder wearing his sash from right shoulder to left hip.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Hey ho! That's my photo--posted HERE at GMIC years ago!!!

How the Internet just... makes anonymity about sourcing!!!!!

Sammlung Rick Research, please. (I can rename scans saved to show who owns something an where it came from, old fashioned me!)

Hi Glenn,

That would make a lot of sense. I was very confused with your original ID to begin with. WvW only had a RAO2. But Graf Moy had a RAO1 so that looked like he was wearing.

Elwyn

Guest Rick Research

:beer:

So... how about repeating some of that conversation HERE? I don't go anywhere else... kind of..."busy" here! :speechless1::cheeky:

I think Glenn is right on the money .. the man in Hussar uniform was ObstLt Hans Heinrich XV Fürst v Pleß. Here with RAO1 and presumably stern to go with it. In Rick's pic, he had RAO1 sash, just like WoW

Elwyn

Here is Walther v W's entry in the 1914 handbuch. His sash would be that of BM1? Carmine-Blue-Carmine, worn on the right shower. He picked up the BMV1 mS during the war. You can see that in the Graf zu Castell Castell pic.

Elwyn

I think Glenn is right on the money .. the man in Hussar uniform was ObstLt Hans Heinrich XV Fürst v Pleß. Here with RAO1 and presumably stern to go with it. In Rick's pic, he had RAO1 sash, just like WoW

Elwyn

Duh, I meant Fürst v Pleß and Graf Moy both had RAO1 sash

:Cat-Scratch: Hey ho! That's my photo--posted HERE at GMIC years ago!!!

How the Internet just... makes anonymity about sourcing!!!!!

Sammlung Rick Research, please. (I can rename scans saved to show who owns something an where it came from, old fashioned me!)

RIck,

It was posted on AHF by AlifRafikKhan, who provided de.wikipedia.org as a source. I don't know where on Wikipedia he found it, so I can't see who uploaded it there and what copyright permission they claimed. If we could find it, you could probably have it removed or properly credited there.

Dave

Guest Rick Research

When I copy somebody else's scan I rename it. Say: Kaiserstepsfoto Rick Research GMIC. Not a question of copyright--or I wouldn't ever share (and where would militaria collecting online be THEN? :rolleyes: ) but of plain old fashioned Courtesy To Others. :cat:

Glad everybody (in the whole world?) has enjoyed this--I saved it from Evil Ricky's photo archive dispersal--and you guys are waaaaaay ahead of me on identifying all the teeny tiny leetle peoples. :cool:

What threw me so I never got anywhere with it are what seem to be the half-mast black mourning flags there.

???

Edited by Rick Research

I certainly enjoyed it thoroughly and that's only after learning from Glenn which way the sashes go. And Dave telling me Wilhelm v W from Otto v W. Incidentally, Wegner screwed it up -- it had Otto as GenAdj.

Interesting with the black flag. You also see Ludwig III wearing a black band you so often see but only after the start of the War.

Elwyn

Guest Rick Research

I had thought it might have been for Prinzregent Luitpold's funeral. :anmatcat:

Pity the poor cadets in the velveteen britches and patent leather pumps! :blush: