News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Received this nice Saxon ribbon bar set this week. Pretty beatup set, but still attached to another :)

EK2
    War Merit Cross

Eastern front medal

Saxony Civil Merit Order
    Saxony Order of Albert
    Bayern Order of Military Merit
    Austria Military Merit Cross
    Hindenburg cross
    NSDAP Long Service Award
    Sudetenland medal
    Westwall medal
    Pro Deo Et Patria medal

Any thoughts on the wearer?

Regards,

Peter

Guest Rick Research

AIEEEEEE!!!!!! Looks like it was exhumed!!!! :speechless1:

Not sure looking at what's left that IS an NSDAP 10. I don't see white/brown/white narrow edge stripes-- it looks like Dark Yucky Color Edge/White/Dark Yucky Color Center/White/DYC Edge. Brown? Blue? Dark Yucky Color?...

Of 251 Saxon officers with BMV4X, at first pass, only 11 cannot be eliminated--but none of them were SS in 1935 or Saxon SA in 1934. I'm omitting trying to trace any form of NSDAP service--not sure about that ribbon--and just going by the WW1s for officers whose other awards do not eliminate them, Wehrmacht service etc etc.

Truly appalling condition.

AIEEEEEE!!!!!! Looks like it was exhumed!!!! :speechless1:

Not sure looking at what's left that IS an NSDAP 10. I don't see white/brown/white narrow edge stripes-- it looks like Dark Yucky Color Edge/White/Dark Yucky Color Center/White/DYC Edge. Brown? Blue? Dark Yucky Color?...

Of 251 Saxon officers with BMV4X, at first pass, only 11 cannot be eliminated--but none of them were SS in 1935 or Saxon SA in 1934. I'm omitting trying to trace any form of NSDAP service--not sure about that ribbon--and just going by the WW1s for officers whose other awards do not eliminate them, Wehrmacht service etc etc.

Truly appalling condition.

Yeah it definately is one of the worst I own :43:

I've added a detailimage from the back, the NSDAP award is clearer from the back, looks more chocolate brown and has the double white stripes, one of which is being overlapped....

Any chance of narrowing down the search? :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Yup. OK for that claarification. Down to 10-- one of my preliminary 11 was KIA in 1918. When I can't reduce names any further, I'll post the suspects list. Still have to check for Wehrmacht (E) officers.

Guest Rick Research

Stuck at 9--

1) Udo Gruschwitz of KS IR 102, Oberleutnant aD. But there was a Wehrmacht (E) officer that might have been him... or another of the same last name.

2) Friedrich Günther, wartime Lt dR, ex KS Jäger Bn 13 and a flyer. He was NOT the 1930 Nazi Ministerialdirektor of the same name *1880--the Nazi had Silver St Henry Medal. Nazi was a WW1 observer but was NOT repeat NOT t-h-i-s Friedrich Günther.

3) Hans Graf von Metzsch-Reichenbach of KS Garde Reiter Rgt, Rittmeister aD. Unlikely nazi

4) George (yes Georg-e) Graf von Platen-Hallermund, same rank and regiment as Graf von M-R. Ditto

5) Erich Saupe of KS IR 102, Hauptmann aD. But Erhard Roth listed full datess, implying he'dd seen his records and no ÖM3K?

6) Oskar Schmiedel of KS IR 102, Oberleutnant aD

7) Hans Soltmann, a wartime Lt dL of Flak. Landwehr WW1 unlikely Russia 1942...

8) Walter Tropitzsch, wartime Oberleutnant dR ex KS FAR 68 also Flak. Commissioned first in 1908-- seems too old for 1942 ...

9) Zipfel brothers/cousins of KS IR 102. Ernst (Hauptmann aD) had the two Saxon Orders BUT... Georg (Oberleutnant aD) hd SH3 and SA3bX with no SV3bX. Unortunately wouldn't you just know it--with TWO same wartime rank and regiment, the BMV4X roll doesn't give 1st name!!! :banger:

Edited by Rick Research

Stuck at 9--

1) Udo Gruschwitz of KS IR 102, Oberleutnant aD. But there was a Wehrmacht (E) officer that might have been him... or another of the same last name.

2) Friedrich Günther, wartime Lt dR, ex KS Jäger Bn 13 and a flyer. He was NOT the 1930 Nazi Ministerialdirektor of the same name *1880--the Nazi had Silver St Henry Medal. Nazi was a WW1 observer but was NOT repeat NOT t-h-i-s Friedrich Günther.

3) Hans Graf von Metzsch-Reichenbach of KS Garde Reiter Rgt, Rittmeister aD. Unlikely nazi

4) George (yes Georg-e) Graf von Platen-Hallermund, same rank and regiment as Graf von M-R. Ditto

5) Erich Saupe of KS IR 102, Hauptmann aD. But Erhard Roth listed full datess, implying he'dd seen his records and no ÖM3K?

6) Oskar Schmiedel of KS IR 102, Oberleutnant aD

7) Hans Soltmann, a wartime Lt dL of Flak. Landwehr WW1 unlikely Russia 1942...

8) Walter Tropitzsch, wartime Oberleutnant dR ex KS FAR 68 also Flak. Commissioned first in 1908-- seems too old for 1942 ...

9) Zipfel brothers/cousins of KS IR 102. Ernst (Hauptmann aD) had the two Saxon Orders BUT... Georg (Oberleutnant aD) hd SH3 and SA3bX with no SV3bX. Unortunately wouldn't you just know it--with TWO same wartime rank and regiment, the BMV4X roll doesn't give 1st name!!! :banger:

:) i'm as always impressed by the results :cheers:

This is gonna need some more digging :ninja: maybe the NSDAP membership list could be of help in this one...

Edited by drspeck

Guest Rick Research

Christophe-- Everybody's eliminated except those 8, for other awards, later careers and so on.