News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two seriously overdecorated gentlemen

JapanX

These are just wearing saving medals. the first one being a sailor by the way...

Ch.

Saving medals?!? Saving what? From too much uniform showing through. Lady Godiva could be clothed with that array. It's the European equivalent to the Senninbari belt.

Saving medals?!? Saving what? From too much uniform showing through. Lady Godiva could be clothed with that array. It's the European equivalent to the Senninbari belt.

I believe the exact name to be 'Life saving medals"...

Ch.

I meant vous m'en direz tant! :)

During the reign of Alexandre II Russia had only one medal for "life saving activities" (to be more precise "за подвиги человеколюбия, с опасностью собственной жизни совершенные, но не подходящие под действие орденских статутов").

It was the medal "За спасение погибавших" (it was established by Nikolay I in 1828).

Personally I don't see it among the trinkets on the chest of this brave sailor ;)

Regards,

Nick

Last winter I read a review of a new book about two 19th C female entertainers who performed successfully all over Europe, usually with one or both appearing in drag. I wonder if this could be them? If we can take our eyes off all of the medals for a moment and look at the face, it really does seem that "he" isn't what he appears to be...

Regards

Edited by Mathomhaus

• 3 months later...