News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Orders & Medals in Denmark

Hi to All,

Would you know where to see or find awards (orders & medals) in Denmark and South of Sweden (Göteborg, Malmö...) ?

I'm interested in museums, flea markets, dealers' adresses, etc...
    Any good address to recommand ?

In advance, many thanks.

Cheers.

Ch.

Hi Christophe,

I waited to see if anyone else would chip in, but apparently not...

I don't know about Sweden, but chances here in Copenhagen are slim since Bent Larsen retired. His shop "Collector" was dedicated to decorations.

There is a small shop (the size of a closet) by the same name in Kronprinsessegade (close to Rosenborg Castle), which normally has a small selection. The shop closes for good mid-September though.

No other shops come to mind, unfortunately...

For museums, the best bet is Rosenborg Castle which has some old versions of orders given to Danish Kings. The Arsenal ("Tøjhusmuseet ") has a VERY small collection, but is mostly arms.

The Museum of Danish Resistance has its stuff in storage since the museum burned down earlier this year.

/Michael

Wrong part of Sweden for me to comment really. But it's hard enough to find stuff in our capital and I doubt that the other large cities you mention has much to offer. If you go to Stockholm I got some possible places to see but not now.

/Kim

Hi Michael and Kim,

Thanks for your answers!! :jumping:

What a pity the Museum of Danish Resistance burnt this year... I did not notice this. :o

About Sweden, my program is not finalised yet. So, Kim, feel free to add suggestions, if any... ;)

Thanks again and cheers.

Ch.

Plenty to see in Stockholm if you are out looking for Swedish awards. Some suggestions:

Royal palace, here you'll find the official rooms of the Swedish orders. Some exhibits with older Swedish orders.

National museum of Economy, "Myntkabinettet", mostly coin and economic history but a small cabinet with the current Swedish medals awarded today. Loads of stuff not on display, I've seen a fraction of their collection in storage.

Those are the main award museums. There are of course a few in the army museum, but not much. Other museums have stuff, but not on exhibit.

If you are in a shopping mood there are a couple of must go to places.

Strandbergs mynthandel, Arsenalgatan 6, big selection and big prices. Claim to be the largest in Sweden.

Selins mynthandel, Regeringsgatan 6, nice selection of Swedish medals and older pins. Beware of the old owner, he sets a new standard for grumpy.

All of these suggestions are down town Stockholm and easy walking distance between.

There are of course other more obscure places but not worth looking for if only in town for a few days.

Last tip is beware of the old town. Like many other old town centers it's over priced and ripe with questionable stuff.

/Kim