News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

help with English medal

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-16073-0-81588000-1376941442.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-16073-0-06031400-1376941387.jpgI do hope this the right place for this,if not please advise. I purchased this of a fellow in Great Britain and I have no idea what it is neither did he.thanks to all for any help

It's a commemorative medal for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria designed by Frank Bowcher and retailed by Spink and Son. It was made in 18ct gold, silver, bronze, gilt white metal, oxidised white metal and white metal. All but the gold examples are relatively common. The gold medal was sold for £12/10/-, the silver for 25/-, bronze 5/6d, gilt white metal 2/6d, oxidised white metal 2/6d, white metal 1/-. Your example appears to be silver (or possibly white metal).

Hope this is of help,

Paul

Paul, do you have a reference for this one? I looked through MYB and didn't see it but that is not unusual in regards to these. I an gaining interest in things like these as my collection theme seems to be shifting. I was never interested in anything Jubilee or Coronation related, however that has changed.

It will not be in MYB as it is purely a commemorative piece, the reference I have used is "British Historical Medals 1837-1901" by Laurence Brown, no. 3514, (the book lists 97 different 1897 jubilee commemoratives and there are probably nearly as many not listed), certainly if you can get buy a copy it is a good investment.

Paul

It's a commemorative medal for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria designed by Frank Bowcher and retailed by Spink and Son. It was made in 18ct gold, silver, bronze, gilt white metal, oxidised white metal and white metal. All but the gold examples are relatively common. The gold medal was sold for £12/10/-, the silver for 25/-, bronze 5/6d, gilt white metal 2/6d, oxidised white metal 2/6d, white metal 1/-. Your example appears to be silver (or possibly white metal).

Hope this is of help,

Paul

You sir are quite amazing. Until I found this place I had asked many people and no one knew anything to go as far as calling it a fake. Thank you very much,Ray