News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nominations, decisions on Medal of Honor shrouded in secrecy

JPL

Only a tiny group of people deal with the process that results in the Medal of Honor. Its work is shrouded in secrecy - even modern conveniences such as faxes and emails are shunned in favor of hand-carried files. Those involved can't talk about "The Medal" until the president awards it. "Those particular files are particularly close-hold. They are only worked and touched by a small group of people we consider to be trusted agents," said Lt. Col. Colleen Carr, who oversees the awards branch at the Army's Human Resources Center in Fort Knox, Ky.

The process starts with a soldier on the battlefield doing something extraordinary. To earn the award, the soldier must have "distinguished himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty," according to federal law. But if a soldier does all that and nobody sees it - no medal. The process requires documentation, witnesses, sworn statements. That paperwork goes to the Fort Knox team. "There have been packages with as little as 50 pages of information and as many as 1,000 pages," Carr said. The same questions are asked again and again to ensure that the recipient of the medal is a bona fide hero. At any step, a leader can stop the process. Carr said few of those nominated wind up wearing the blue ribbon and golden star. The office won't release statistics. "The Medal of Honor is the one military award where the only approval authority is the president of the United States," Carr explained. "He and only he is the person who makes the decision."

The Medal of Honor is different from other military awards in many respects. It's the only American military decoration that comes with money. Recipients are entitled to a lifetime pension - currently $1,237 per month - plus an allowance to buy uniforms. They can also fly on military aircraft, use military facilities and are guaranteed invitations to presidential inauguration events. And they get something to pass on: Children of Medal of Honor recipients are entitled to attend any federal military academy if they meet admission requirements. Those aren't giveaways. Soldiers earn it the hard way.

Carr said it can be tough to read Medal of Honor nominations, especially for soldiers who died on the battlefield. "It's inspiring," she said. "Truly awe-inspiring." And rare.

Read the complete news article: http://gazette.com/nominations-decisions-on-medal-of-honor-shrouded-in-secrecy/article/1505295

Jean-Paul

Guest Rick Research

I had never heard of ANY of those benefits--wonder how recent that may be?

Since the policy in recent years is to virtually always give these posthumously, there wouldn't be many (2 now?) who DO collect benefits.

I had never heard of ANY of those benefits--wonder how recent that may be?

Since the policy in recent years is to virtually always give these posthumously, there wouldn't be many (2 now?) who DO collect benefits.

I always thought they received free airfare via American Airlines too, but that could be some NCIS urban myth :D

I remember reading about those benefits when I was a kid. The monthly stipend may have been less, but it was still present.

I believe it adapts to the changing economy, or am I wrong? Since it'd really be a downer if you were awarded the order when (like an example) $300 a month was a lot of money(it still is a lot yet it cannot compare to 1,200). Yet now a days it isn't as significant

I remember reading about 20 years ago from an older book(Maybe Vietnam era, 1970s) that the pay used to be 100 dollars a month for life. All other benefits were the same as listed above.

Guest Rick Research

In 1944 it was $2 "extra" pay (while in the military) a month. THAT'S It. That's what I remember up to/into Vietnam era.