News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was in the Munster (not Münster) valley for 2 weeks this month, spent some nice time on the Battlefields... including the Barrenkopf-Schrätzmännle and Lingenkopf, 3 peaks it takes maybe 45 minutes to walk between.

Only 3-4 regiments were there for the really interesting period... so when i saw this with an EK2 doc on ebay just 3 days after my return... i had to jump at it.... this was the only readable page on the auction... I saw he was at Metzeral.. and on the barrenkopf!!!! On my way back from my visit, I was beginning to prepare myself for years of searching to find something like that.....

Superb!

I was looking at the Pass as well and thought it might one to own - but I never bid on it. Now, I'm pleased that you got it and I did not make it more expensive.

It pays to do the research and pick the good stuff that others miss.

Good for you Chris!

• 2 months later...

From a Militaerpass of a man serving with IR188

1915 -1916

Kleinkopf, Pavillonhöhe, Hoehe 830, Metzeral, Barrenkopf, Lingekopf, Schratzmännle

1916 at the Hartmannsweilerkopf and Muehlbach

Edited by Naxos

• 1 month later...

Just cataloging some stuff, Here is some info...

Heinrich Gustav Albert Barthels was born in Lübeck on the 15th of April 1898 and joined the army on the 24th of September 1914, aged 16 and a half. One day after his 17th Birthday (15th April 1915) he was transfered to a combat unit, the 13. Komp. I.R. 162 (which became the 9. Komp I.R. 187)

On the 1st of July 1915 he was wounded by a bullet on Height 664 to the east of Metzeral. On the 17th of September 1915 he was wounded by artillery on the Schratzmännle. A week later he was promoted to Gefreiter.

On the 8th of March 1916 Barthels was sent to "Sturm Abteilung Rottweil" (The official name seems to have been "Oberrotweil"), he stayed until the 7th of May 1916 when he returned to his unit. The I.R. 187 fought in the Munster Valley at the Schratzmännle, Metzeral, Height 664, Barrenkopf etc from June 1915 until August 1916.

In July 1916 he was awarded the Lübeck Hanseatenkreuz, became a very young Unteroffizier in December 1916 and recieved the Iron Cross 2nd Class in September 1917.