News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all.

This is my first ribbon bar with the Kreigsverdienstkreuz , if I understand right this was mostly awarded to " behind the front " people and Medics , but since he have both an EK and a HEK with swords I suppose he must have been in uniform at least in some sort of action. A Medic officer?

And yes I noticed that the bar is upside down on the pic :)

Christer

Hi Christer,

Very nice ribbon bar you have there, congrats.

I'm not sure that your bar belonged to a Medic officer. If so he probably received a prussian red cross.

Recently during my research I find some Generals (old one who fought in the 1870-1871 war) received the KVK.

Christophe

The Saxon KVK was awarded mainly for homefront merit to persons who did not receive another Saxon war decoration.

Each state had its own rules for what qualified one for so-called "combatant" versus "non-combatant" awards. For Prussia, the Iron Cross was awarded on the black/white ribbon to serving military personnel, even those on the homefront. So a soldier serving, for example, in the the Kriegsamt in Berlin or in a POW camp would receive the Iron Cross on the black/white ribbon.

In any event, as Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer shows, this guy did see some time at the front. But of course, he didn't have to stay there. He could have been wounded and spent the rest of the war in the rear. Or he could have been a Zeugfeldwebel or Feuerwerker, spending some time at the front with an artillery regiment and then back to an artillery depot or Zeugamt for the rest of the war.