News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

japanese sword question

mickey

hi all i collect japanese military items but not swords i found this sword in a bay of islands antique shop around 6 years ago propped up in a corner owner said i could have it for 100 dollars (nz)its not mint but a nice addition to my collection my question is the small attachment on the handle has clasped hands i note some sword dealers place some significance on this does anyone have any info as to why thanks

Mickey - I am sorry that your question hasn't been answered. I will draw Brian's attention since he knows a lot about

the different types.

Despite the rust and poor condition this does look to me like an old and interesting sword. The trim appears to be gold ?

Have you removed the wooden pegs from the handgrip to see if there are markings on the tang ?

Will bee good to see what the experts think ? Mervyn

Hi,

looks like a standard issue WW2 officers sword?

Having said that.... the blade may still be a hidden gem.... some really old / valuable blades can be found on these issue swords (but you need lots of luck).

Sheath looks to be in great condition, maybe the blade is as well?

Hi Mickey,

What you have is an WWII officer's sword (shin-gunto). The tassel loop (saru-te) is not a common one but at the same time not as rare as some dealers would have you think as they try to squeeze every dollar possible out of a collector . Certainly this was not the case here as $100.00 is a good buy any time. As has been stated you should take the hamdle off, by removing the bamboo pin to see if it is signed or not. If it is signed DO NOT remove the rust as this will make the whole sword worthless to a serious collector. Rust on the tang of the blade is considered to be part of the sword and sometimes this rust can be tested to tell you more about where it was made and more importantly dating when it was made. Also the file marks left on the tang, on purpose, can tell a story as well.

You must be careful when purchasing these as the Chinese are making very good copies and even "ageing" them to look antique. Yours look good but I would like to see photos of the blade and the tang if possible.

By the way, you have the sword mounted up side down, the blade's edge should always be on the up side. Sword handle should be to the left when dislayed, unless you are expecting to have to defend the home, in which case the handle is to the right. Displaying the sword handle right is not polite and tells visitors that they may not be all that welcome in your home. Mine are all displayed handle right so you know how many people are welcomed into my study. ;)

Thank you for posting your new addition and I hope to see more Japanese items from your collection in the future.

Regards

Brian

Hello fellow Japanese militaria collectors,

I have moved this post from the Military Hardware section to here with the hope that there will be some interet in the subject here and comments might be made.

After a time I will probbaly move it back to the Military Hardware Section under Edged Weapons as a permenent home for the post.

Until then please feel free to comment and assist Mickey with any information you might have.

Regards

Brian