News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cased order of Glory 2nd Class

Never saw that kind of boxes for Soviet awards before! As another member mentioned before, they do look like Yugo boxes, unless as it was also mentioned above this type of cases are used for awards given to foreigners, but I never saw one of these either. Could someone please post pics of such cases?

Dolf:

Check out thread http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5803

Dave

Dave,

Thanks a lot.

I remember now I saw that thread when you posted the pics but had completely forgot about that one :blush:

Anyway, the case for the OGPW looks very much like some Mongolian cases I've seen!

But it doesn't look like this case posted by Bryan for the Glory 2nd Class, right?

Dolf

Dave,

Here is an example of what I was talking about.

A case containing a Mongolian Golden Soyombo.

Doesn't it look like the one you posted on that thread for the Soviet OGPW awarded to a foreigner?

Dolf

They look similar, but it appears that the Mongolian case is much heavier than the thin cardboard of the Soviet box. The only reason that the box on the OGPW that I posted is still intact and not cushed (like the box for the documents) is because it has the insert inside with the order. I think the Mongolian box, given how it looks in the photo, would survive quite a bit and still not crush!

I think the box posted with all the decorations from the seller in Latvia (I think it's Latvia, that is) are from one of the other eastern bloc countries... I think Yugoslavia.

Dave

They look similar, but it appears that the Mongolian case is much heavier than the thin cardboard of the Soviet box. The only reason that the box on the OGPW that I posted is still intact and not cushed (like the box for the documents) is because it has the insert inside with the order. I think the Mongolian box, given how it looks in the photo, would survive quite a bit and still not crush!

I think the box posted with all the decorations from the seller in Latvia (I think it's Latvia, that is) are from one of the other eastern bloc countries... I think Yugoslavia.

Dave

Dave,

The Mongolian box is also at least partially made of cardboard. Now I regret I didn't take more pics of the inside (under the cardboard to which the Medal is secured thanks to a hole that allows to put the screw into it and the screwnut below the cardboard) before selling it :speechless:

Yes, the boxes posted by Bryan, for the OoG and the ORB look to me like Yugo boxes too, as mentioned on Post #23 above. Or maybe some other Eastern bloc country.

Cheers,

Dolf

One other thing about boxes... The medal should have corresponding wear to the box. Figure that most vets threw out their boxes after the award ceremony and wore their medals. Very (very) few kept their boxes for storing their medals in as they wore their medals fairly regularly. If you look at the box I have my Glory 3rd to the American in, it's actually a bear to get the medal in and out of the box, and I honestly doubt that the medal was ever removed from the box because of that. Same with the OGPW2 in the post - I really doubt that the vets ever took their medals out of the box.

All that to say that when you see an award like the Glory 2 in the first post with a good bit of wear with an otherwise clean box, you should probably think twice about it....

Dave

It's funny that almost all the members who participated to this thread are also members of Soviet-Awards forum. :P

Bryan,

Yes indeed :P As far as I know all except one, but then again the topic being Soviet awards/stuff no big surprise after all :beer:

Dolf