News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Gentlemen,

These two ribbon bars arrived here this week and I am very pleased with them. I do not have many ribbon bars with Schwarzburg ribbons.

Do you think it is most likely that the Schwarzburg ribbon represents the Honour Cross or Medal?

In your opinion, do you consider it uncommon to find a Saxon Honour Cross ribbon without swords?

Kind regards

Pierce

Edited by P.F.

Swords are not incorrect. They were authorized late in the war. They should be silver for the medal, though. There is no way to tell whether it is the medal or the cross, though, since incorrect swords are a common thing.

For that matter, there is no way to tell whether it is the Saxon DA for NCOs and enlisted men or the Saxon LD2.

Since Saxony was comparatively liberal with war awards, the lack of a Saxon war decoration makes me think the holder was an ex-Saxon who served in the Prussian Army in World War I. A native of one of the two Schwarzburgs, or serving in a Schwarzburg contingent.

Thank you both for your opinions. :)

I had assumed the Saxon ribbon was for the Honour Cross given its position on the second ribbon bar i.e. before the 1934 Honour Cross.

An interesting point Dave. There are silver swords on the Schwarzburg ribbon on the top ribbon bar but the bottom bar used gold swords for both the Schwarzburg ribbon and the Honour Cross- I guess that was just what was to hand at the time.

Either NCO, EM or Officer, I am happy with these little additions to my collection.

Kind regards

Pierce