News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

And then maybe there is Chip??????

On threads like this, there are the "haves"... and the "have nots"....

If you are a "have" you read the moaning of the "have nots" with amusement... but you dont comment.

Chips has boxes of these... so he is laughing his ASSets off.... ;-)

I don't care who you are, that's funny! :P

I've never seen an Ersatz one that was marked in any way. Years ago, a small cache of them was found in Stuttgart. A German friend of mine got two of them and I traded for one. I've never had a chance at a leather one in over 50 years of collecting. There are several varieties of the Ersatz models, made from different materials, and with different pattern loops. Mine is made from Papiergarn with metal loops. Some have rope loops, some leather covered rope.

I've only handled one leather example and I can't remember if it was marked or not (it was thirty years ago). I would think any leather item would be at least maker marked.

Chip

On threads like this, there are the "haves"... and the "have nots"....

If you are a "have" you read the moaning of the "have nots" with amusement... but you dont comment.

Chips has boxes of these... so he is laughing his ASSets off.... ;-)

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

I don't care who you are, that's funny! :P

I've never seen an Ersatz one that was marked in any way. Years ago, a small cache of them was found in Stuttgart. A German friend of mine got two of them and I traded for one. I've never had a chance at a leather one in over 50 years of collecting. There are several varieties of the Ersatz models, made from different materials, and with different pattern loops. Mine is made from Papiergarn with metal loops. Some have rope loops, some leather covered rope.

I've only handled one leather example and I can't remember if it was marked or not (it was thirty years ago). I would think any leather item would be at least maker marked.

Chip

Thanks for the info. I'll keep in mind when I come across a box full. :)

I missed a papiergarn one... I think it went for EUR800

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! 800Euros!!!!! I'm much friendlier to my mates than that....for sure, especially if they have something that I want. I was wondering, what good is having a MG-08 without any drag straps?????? ;)

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! 800Euros!!!!! I'm much friendlier to my mates than that....for sure, especially if they have something that I want. I was wondering, what good is having a MG-08 without any drag straps?????? ;)

Well... thats like asking what good is a woman without a hat? if they have one, fine... if they dont, its cool as well... they can buy one, as long as its not too expensive....

Well... thats like asking what good is a woman without a hat? if they have one, fine... if they dont, its cool as well... they can buy one, as long as its not too expensive....

Not always so...............I grew up with a girl that always wore a red neck scarf, always. One day I asked her why she always wore a red headscarf and she said she'd tell me when we got into grade school, so every year in grade school I asked her why she always wore a red neck scarf and she always said she'd tell me when we got to the next grade. Finally in the 8th grade I asked her again and she said she'd tell me when we got to High School. We got into High School and I asked her again, why did she always wear that little red head scarf and she said she'd tell me when we got into College. The day came, we went off to college together and I asked her again, why did she always wear that little red neck scarf and again, she put me off by saying on graduation day. That day came and I asked once again and she said not until we get married. That day came and on our wedding night, I asked her again and she said, not tonight, I have a headache. So years and years went by and on her death bed with me, her children and grandchildren around her bed, I asked her one last time, why did she wear that little red head scarf and she said, OK, I'll show you why and she reached up with her shaking feeble old fingers and un-tied that little red headscarf and as she took it away her head fell off!!!!! The moral of this story is, looks decieve. ;)

Edited by E Williams

Hmmm... I don't want to pry... but technically it should have fallen off when she was scrubbing floors or digging the garden ? I dont think a scarf would have helped at anything near a 45 degree angle ??

I have a sneaking suspicion you are lying to us?

Bullshit and Brilliance comes with Age and Experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Hmmm... I don't want to pry... but technically it should have fallen off when she was scrubbing floors or digging the garden ? I dont think a scarf would have helped at anything near a 45 degree angle ??

I have a sneaking suspicion you are lying to us?

I figured it hid an Adam's apple....... :whistle:

I have just seen this thread and most enjoyable. Now I know why I have been dreaming about sawing off my first wife's head, anyway drag straps. I have seen quite a few over here in Europe and often the ersatz and cloth examples have a pink stamp, not unlike the pink stamp inside a Brodie helmet. a tell tale sign is also the buckle, all WWI examples have the lengthening buckle inverted ie as a u shape if that makes sense. My leather example has EB stamped deep into the leather, but although in several places, I am not convinced it is a maker but perhaps the owner's initials. The second leather example I have seen had no markings but I can borrow it to photo. So count me in on the box full. One very famous collector in France has many but inevitably he will not part with them. I even offered my current wife but alas....

Mark

I have just seen this thread and most enjoyable. Now I know why I have been dreaming about sawing off my first wife's head, anyway drag straps. I have seen quite a few over here in Europe and often the ersatz and cloth examples have a pink stamp, not unlike the pink stamp inside a Brodie helmet. a tell tale sign is also the buckle, all WWI examples have the lengthening buckle inverted ie as a u shape if that makes sense. My leather example has EB stamped deep into the leather, but although in several places, I am not convinced it is a maker but perhaps the owner's initials. The second leather example I have seen had no markings but I can borrow it to photo. So count me in on the box full. One very famous collector in France has many but inevitably he will not part with them. I even offered my current wife but alas....

Mark

My new found friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

I suspect a nice drag strap is a better cook than my current wife, but I did not marry her for her culinary abilities! Current value in Europe now for a normal drag strap exceeds Euros1k so who knows what a leather example would fetch. judging by the recent ebay prices for not so rare 08 and 08 parts I would not be surprised if people would bid up to Euros2k.

My new found friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Typical

So you don't love me anymore, rotter. :(

Mark

Any chance you could help me out with bits and bobs including toolwise ie; need a belt pocket pick stuff like that....... ignore Ed :angry:

Unloved Hoss