News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello:

The thought of this Kampfgruppe Baumann being artillery related is supported by the map's indicated fire sweeps and the inscription below Kampfgr...

Feuerleitungsplan or fire directions plan.

I cannot make out the name given besides Lt.

Interesting photo. Thanks for showing.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Berhard!

Thanksa lot. That is my thought too. With a better mag glass I could read a few more words!

Kampfgruppe Baumann

Feuerleitungsplan

Batterie 1.??

Batterie 2.32 (?)

Batterie 4.59 (?)

Batterie 6.59

I´m sure with the 6.59 only

Behind them I read Haupstellung witgh numbers and Wechselstellung with numbers.

Because of the Foot-artillery bataillons didn´t have 6 batteries, I assume, we have field artillery regiments.

Unfortunately a date is missing...

Generally the FAR59 belonged to the 15.Inf.Div.

The Res.Rgt.59 belonged to the 77.Res.Div.

Edited by The Prussian

Gentlemen, I don't believe Kampfgruppe Baumann is an artillery unit...rather it's a battlegroup being supported by this artillery fire plan. This is most likely the name of an infantry unit; although the photo is likely the HQ of an artillery unit.

Curiously, I found a internet reference to a Kampfgruppe Baumann with Tiger tanks in 1944

Gentlemen, I don't believe Kampfgruppe Baumann is an artillery unit...rather it's a battlegroup being supported by this artillery fire plan. This is most likely the name of an infantry unit; although the photo is likely the HQ of an artillery unit.

Curiously, I found a internet reference to a Kampfgruppe Baumann with Tiger tanks in 1944

Hello Rick.

The German term "Kampfgruppe" was introduced on a wide scale only with WW II. In my readings of WW I combat actions/operations which appeared after the war and were prepared by the Reichsarchiv, the term "Kampfgruppe" does not appear for any formations which contained infantry units. I will do some research in those volumes which have Orders of Battle and post my findings. Another finding by Andy, above shows detailed / by battery descriptions, Wechselstellung for example which would be of little value for infantry to have knowledge of.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhardt, thanks for the info on the use of "kampfgruppe" in research and references. That is a detail unknown to me.

But let me make clear that I didn't say the chart itself, the map on the wall, was for use by an infantry unit. I said the FIRE PLAN on the chart was for an infantry unit. I said the photo is an artillery HQ.

It would be great to have a reference that applies the term to an artillery unit. While interestung, this photo alone is not conclusive that Kampfgruppe Baumann was an artillery Kommando. Only that the fire plan was for Baumann's formation - either in support or in order to execute

Edited by IrishGunner

well, thanks a lot for your posts, mates. I'll check the battles of FAR 59, maybe I'll find something about Baumann. I have tge records if all higher officers in the war. No Baumann down to artillery regimental level. I'll check the infantry tonight. Even no Bauman on divisional or brigade level. I think it's a mixed unit, set up just for a period if time, like a big army attack

Hello readers:

I have had a look at some volumes of the publications by the Reichsarchiv, the ones I hve are all pertaining to battles on the Western Front. O.o.B. for the Battle of Verdun makes no mention of Kampfgruppe among infantry formations, up to late 1916.

For artillery it lists some formations with the term of "Gruppe" ( not Kampfgruppe ). Some few are titled after location and more numerous are those titled after commanders.

Bernhard H. Holst

Auseklis. Then it would be a rare shot in the period of a few months...

I´ve checked the Baumanns in the Great War.

Major Gustav Baumann: Führer bavarian 22.Inf.Rgt from january-july 1918

Hauptmann Emil Baumann: I./bayer. Pio.Btl. since march 1915

Add:

If the photo was taken in the east, and if it´s FAR59, the 15th division went into line north of Kisselin. In february 17 they were in Transylvania (upper valley of the Olta) and in april it was in reserve at Vladimir-Volynski.

What about the name of the Leutnant?

Add:

If the photo was taken in the east, and if it´s FAR59, the 15th division went into line north of Kisselin. In february 17 they were in Transylvania (upper valley of the Olta) and in april it was in reserve at Vladimir-Volynski.

What about the name of the Leutnant?

Leutnant Vohlerd

Edited by Naxos

Maybe we are in Italy in may 1916 and the lieutenant is an austrian officer

Oberst Baumann war artillerie-commander of the austrian XX.corps. If the card doesn´t show north at the top...

Edited by The Prussian