News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Difference in medal quality

muckaroon1960

Over the last few years I have experienced with my medal collecting the various levels of quality in their manufacture. Take for example the 2 US armed forces expeditionary medals I have posted. Although the left hand side has a 12mm crimp and appears to be an original issue and marked LI-GI which would date it to 1978 - 1986 the actual quality of the medal is not of the highest quality you may find on other US awards?The planchet is thin and the rim has a raised edge like it hasn't been finished or fettled at all well? The medal on the right however has a far better feel to it, 12mm crimp, (V) Volupte maker mark and finish is of a much higher quality and planchet is a lot thicker, smoother and medal feels heavier.

The left hand version may be an original LI-GI or a restrike/fake whatever but I'm not sure or that bothered as I paid next to nothing for it but it enabled me to weigh up my options when I visited a militaria fair recently and a vendor had 4 of these medals for sale 3 of which were somewhat similar to leftie but the one on the right was far superior, that's why I bought it.

Rightie is now mounted with 4 others, China Service, Defence, Korea and Vietnam Service all original and good quality made medals. Only the best for us obsessives.

Edited by muckaroon1960

• 4 weeks later...

The AFEM on the left is exactly like my father in law's AFEM that he received in the 1960s. Really poor quality, almost looks like it's made of some coated pot metal. However, I was the first one to take it out of it's blue box of issue, so I do know where it came from. The one I was issued in 2000 was much higher quality than the older one, though I still wear the older one for posterity sake...