News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I am a bit of a beginner for boards... and dont really intend to start collecting these, but I just saw a pair of numbered ones sell for RIR242 sell for EUR231

http://www.ebay.de/itm/111234522723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Am I corrct in thinking Cypher boards command a premium? But technically they are not rarer than numbered ones ?

And the really high numbers were used for a much shorter period than the regiments that were there from 1914 or earlier?

I can see myself paying a top premium for one of "my" regiments... but what would a realistic average price be?

thasnks

Chris

I suppose you never know the reasons people pay over the top. I picked up a really nice set to a regt in the 400s some time ago, no great interest in the unit, but the price was right.... However... if I found bavarian Jäger I would go twice the regular price.... or boards with "37" or "155"... and people would ask "what idiot paid THAT price!!"

Feel my pain....

As you guys probably know, I have been collecting these for nearly fifty years. Buying straps for $0.50-$1.00 has come a long way. The advent of ebay was the big watershed, as before that, the major collectors in this country could be counted on one hand (all of them still doing so). If you study today's prices like I have, you will find, that for the most part, it is a very small group of collectors (primarily European) who are fighting each other over the most desirable pieces. They have not only driven the prices up, but have also pretty much monopolized the market. I'm sure you all have experienced the frustration and sting of the same wealthy collectors getting, not only the good stuff, but pretty much vacuuming up everything else as well.

I'm sure there are those outlyers, who are not strap collectors and are looking for something from a particular unit due to a family connection or to accompany items in their main collection (Lugers, Pickelhauben, etc.) These people have no idea what a strap should sell for in many cases and they too can drive a price to a point where strap collectors are scratching their heads.

Cyphered straps are no more rare that any other strap within the normal considerations of how long the unit was in existence, how big the unit was or whether it was an elite unit or not. They tend to be collected because they are a finite set and they're attractive.

If there is such a thing as a market price today, I would say the average for a single M07 issue enlisted strap is in the range of 100-150 Euro. An issue M15 with number, 50-60 Euro. Pairs and cyphers bring a premium as do special units, i.e. Artilleriemesstrupps, Starkstrom, Flieger, Gebirgsartillerie, etc..

Officer's boards can be really cheap, especially numbered units. Of course, officer's boards are scarcer, quantity-wise, but enlisted man's straps are more widely collected.

I wish I could quote something close to a stable market price, but there really is no such thing in the auction environment of today. Fortunately, for me, I have accumulated a nice collection over the years, so I can stay out of the fray. I do feel empathy for anyone trying to build a collection now, as it will be very expensive and highly frustrating.

Chip

Edited by Chip

For ebay pairs I feel not going to win no matter what I enter, I can remember around $20-30 pr on old manions that would be mid '80's $10-15 norm for singles. Always thought it was a perfect beginning for young collectors together with awards, forget that now.

Eric

Chip, I'm not surprised at your point regarding officer straps. I recently scored my first strap - an officer strap from the 90 FAR. I paid Euro 30 and thought that was a steal consider prices I've seen. Single enlisted straps - especially high number units - have been going closer to Euro 70-100.

Edited by IrishGunner

With numbered ones almost anyone with a box of munbers can make straps, but with Cyphers you need somewhat scarce metal Cyphers?

Chris,

That's another reason I don't collect officer's insignia per se. There are a ton of mint, unused officer's boards floating around. You can easily identify them by their closed button holes (never spread apart by having a button shank moving around in them and also by the the horizontal string stains, showing where they were once tied in pairs. These are used with loose numbers and cyphers to create all sorts of things. Loose cyphers and crowns are around, but it's tough to get a good match. What is really disturbing is that you can buy just about any repro cypher and crown you need from German dealers. They are made from original dies and are very difficult to tell from a period piece. The good thing is that they are not cheap.

Chip

You mean this one.... :whistle:

.... Hi Chip ! somebody called you once a .... wizard on this or another forum, but I start to believe it wasn't a joke ...

some people would even say , you still have German POW ( WW I of course ) in your basement .... :speechless1:

best regards

Kornel

Kornel,

No wizard, no hostage keeper, just an old collector. I've seen a lot of militaria, owned a lot of things, seen a lot of period photos and read a lot of source material. There is still a lot of heretofore unknown collector information out there. I find it encouraging that people like Rick L. and Daniel and many others have advanced our knowledge with their hard work. There's more to be done and I certainly still have a lot to learn.

Best,

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that prices have gone up considerably. Another matter is that there is hardly anything coming up for sale any more. I used to buy a few off ebay US every now and then (prices there are usually cheaper than Germany), but the source there seems to be dry at least for a few months now...