News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commermorative Medal for the Campaign of 1939/40

Very little seems to be published in regard to this medal. As a non sanctioned award and the literature availble states it was a 'prototype' and thus trial samples exist as such, what type is deemed correct or more correct, all, or none ?

In Detlev's first catalogue I believe the example shown in there is one like I picture below, in the second volume it's another pattern, which now in the fraternity of collectors is deemed the genuine type alone ?

With a trial strike, would there have been one sole protoype produced by one 'company'/designer initially or would have several companies produced them (making their own molds from a 'official' design) in a perhaps more than optimistic anticipation so as to be in the game when officially sanctioned ?

Is this example pictured below now deemed fake or has it always really been thought as such ?

Kr

Marcus

Edited by Marcus H

In brief Ed what I gather is that this one is one of numerous forwarded designs at the actual request for such an award for the campaigns in the West.

The prototype/trial run examples which ever by definition, more a 'rose by another name' terminology there perhaps were then never taken further for an 'unknown reason', i.e offically sanctioned thus instituted, reasons for which aren't divulged in any book to date.

So on what premise it's decided what is good or bad I don't know or however what is written about them is known, I've not a clue.......but would like to know certainly.

Sort of my question really, the example above is now, 'not liked' but another is ? How do you qualify such a medal ?

Don,

No I don't have pictures from of either of Detlev's books, there is an example for sale like that in the second volume though on either Weitzes or Winklers site with a Detlve Cert. though.

Found it! It is on pages 72 and 73 of Angolia's "For Fuhrer and Fatherland" ( Military awards). It is shown with a ribbon but the medal itself is made of a lighter coloured metal than the one shown above (trial strikes in iron according to this book). No mention of the source is given there.

I've a first edition of F & F, it's no ribbon in this book then and it looks like it's painted black as the one above I own, perhaps it's worn ? They seem to be painted black Terry.

Winkler has one with the Detlev cert. I couldn't save any pic's though from the site ? I'm sure I used to be able too.

What is the stance on these and how did the conclusion come about ?

I'll e mail Detlev in the week and also obtain more pic's.

If anyone has Detlev's first volume please could they show pic's of the medal.

Edited by Marcus H

On Detlev's cert. for the one for sale on Winklers site, the cert states it's like that of the examples in museums and public collections (I think that would mean private collections perhaps)

This one is from LTC John R. Angolias's book from 1977 and the first edition of For Fuhrer and Fatherland.

Edited by Marcus H

Thanks very much Steve, thats the same (I think ??) then as Angolia's example I've just pictured. You don't happen to have the second volume also do you please.

Then there's the one on Winklers site with a Detlev cert. So are there two versions then that are correct perhaps ?

Edited by Marcus H