News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Considering researching, help!

I am considering researching one of the four orders below (wish I could afford to research all of them). I am thinking that maybe the patriotic war 1st class would be best but it would be nice to hear opinions from other collectors that have already researched awards.

How do I research them and how much will it approximately cost?

Anything special I have to think of? Translation of the research?

All help are greatly appreciated.

/Erik

I think that they should be pre 1945 awards.

Order of glory Nr. 155631

Order of the great patriotic war 1st cl Nr. 168347

With document. One second class 328704 is also listed.

Order of the great patriotic war 2nd cl Nr. 283104

With document. Military merit medal 1869817 and Red star 1102750 are also listed.

Order of the red banner Nr. 258521

Let me know if You want me to post any pictures.

Erik,

I would go first for the OGPW 1st class (s/n 168.347 could be around beginning to middle 1945),

high award and defenitly no long service award

Order of Glory s/n 168.347 (could be around 1945)

OGPW 2nd class s/n 283.104 (could be end of 1944 to beginning 1945)

Order of the red banner s/n 258.521 (could be around 1945)

regards

Andreas

Guest Rick Research

"Order of the great patriotic war 1st cl Nr. 168347

With document. One second class 328704 is also listed.

Order of the great patriotic war 2nd cl Nr. 283104

With document. Military merit medal 1869817 and Red star 1102750 are also listed."

What are the serial number letter prefixes (if any) on the Orders Book entry pages? An "A" will almost always be an officer, while a "B" or a "V" usually isn't. No joy at all trying to guess if there is NO letter prefix on the immediate postwar Books.

On the second group, either the MMM or the ORS could be long service awards from 3 November 1944, suggesting a probable Captain-- but no Red banner later means out of the service before 20 years.

NOTHING in the first book BUT the two OPWs?

I can HIGHLY recommend G.K. His e-mail address is

(PM for details--please do not post his name or email for HIS sake at his end-- Rick R. edit)

It usually takes 3-4 weeks to get the records and 1-2 weeks to translate. It cost me $229.00 USD for service records, citations, award card, etc. PLUS translation. The price included registered mail.

Doc

Edited by Rick Research

Thank You for all replies! :beer:

The only awards listed in the first book are the two OPWs, I guess this is unusual? The book has a letter "B".

The second group has a letter "A" in the book. Looks like You could be right about him being an officer, Rick. :o

First time I have heard that it is possible to se if it was issued to an officer just by looking at the letter.

/Erik

The only awards listed in the first book are the two OPWs, I guess this is unusual? The book has a letter "B".

No, this isn't an unusual group, but I would guess him to be a non-combatant, perhaps some sort of logistician, though you never really know for sure.

The one with the OGPW2 sounds like a classic long service group to another non-combatant. Though once again, you never know for sure.

If you want one that's a possible combat citation, go for the Glory (it will be) or the late-war Red Banner.

Just my two cents...

Dave

Guest Rick Research

It's not JUST the letter, Erik, but it's a statistical likelihood from groups I have noticed.

Then again, given how TINY the professional-NCO cadre of the Soviet forces was, ALMOST anybody with 1950s long service awards can also... statistically.. be guessed is an officer.

It's not JUST the letter, Erik, but it's a statistical likelihood from groups I have noticed.

Ok, I think i understand now.

I was hoping for a combat citation but I think I will research the OPW 1st. After all it is one of my favourites. After that I will probably research my Glory.

/Erik

I was hoping for a combat citation but I think I will research the OPW 1st. After all it is one of my favourites. After that I will probably research my Glory.

There's a much greater likelihood that the Red Banner is a combat award than the OGPW1st, but you've got to go with what you like... Just my two cents...

Dave