News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This AS71/98 is a hard to find bayonet... Anyway, it took me more than 15 years to find one with matching numbers...
    The AS71/98 is a transformed AS71 (Artillerie Seitengewehr model 1871), actually they used only the blade of a AS71 and replaced the handle à la S98 to fit the Gew. 98... The original scabbard of the AS71 was used unaltered... This happened between 1910 and 1914...
    The AS71/98 was mostly used by Artillerie and Landwehr...

Adler 1

tzlp.jpg

00h5.jpg

rkwo.jpg

w99e.jpg

clw2.jpg

bn0d.jpg

y7vh.jpg

jowo.jpg

avgn.jpg

9qtu.jpg

• 1 year later...

This AS71/98 is a hard to find bayonet... Anyway, it took me more than 15 years to find one with matching numbers...
    The AS71/98 is a transformed AS71 (Artillerie Seitengewehr model 1871), actually they used only the blade of a AS71 and replaced the handle à la S98 to fit the Gew. 98... The original scabbard of the AS71 was used unaltered... This happened between 1910 and 1914...
    The AS71/98 was mostly used by Artillerie and Landwehr...

jowo.jpg

Very nice bayonet and even nicer scabbard! So, Clemens and Jung makers? And the 'G' is for Garantie Stahl (Guaranteed Steel)?

But, the blade is dated 1862, so I don't think it can be from an AS.1871 - but I could be wrong, and if so, please explain... I am away from homes and will check my books when I get back for this one.

Trajan

Edited by Trajan

The AS 71 was actually made with blades from the FS60 (Füselier Seitengewehr 1860) but there was also a new production of blades... So, it's possible to find dates from 1860 and up...

Adler 1

The AS 71 was actually made with blades from the FS60 (Füselier Seitengewehr 1860) but there was also a new production of blades... So, it's possible to find dates from 1860 and up...

Adler 1

Thanks - one more piece of information to add to the data bank!