News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Ammo...

Chris Boonzaier

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch! I came across something in a WWI document put out by or about the RAMC. A drawing of the effect of a fast moving projectile, a slower one and a bullet which had been deliberately turned base forward in the cartridge. It was accompanied by the account of a RAMC doctor who said that British troops had brought him clips of GERMAN ammo in which the bullets had been turned end for end, presumably to do the damage illustrated. Not sure I believe it - how did the Tommies get the ammo. in the first place? - but an interesting bit of progoganda and/ or ballistic science.

I saw a documentary on such things and a cartridge fired blunt end forward had diminished accuracy and it was supposed that the bullet itself would be more prone to jamming when loading it, as the pointed end would not be there to guide it into the chamber.

Another fact that has been true since the invention of the modern “bullet” shaped round is that once it enters the body, especially in the torso, it will turn end over end and at times come out backwards and even with the side of the round exiting first. This produces several different exit wound shapes and degree of damage. The wound left within the torso can actually be much wider than either the entrance or exit wound might indicate due to the end over end “tumbling” of the round as it passes through flesh.

Many, if not all, modifications that did occur by the men in the trenches were not as effective as the soldier might have desired but left him at least with the idea that he was using a much more dangerous projectile than had been issued, even though this would have been a contravention of jus ad bellum (the laws of warfare).

Regards

Brian