News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Phaleristical Mistakes in "Letters from Iwo Jima"

JapanX

Looks nice?

Or is it?!

First of all (when I last time checked) if our General indeed wears 2nd class Rising Sun order then his breast star should be on the right side (not left one).

It`s obvious that creators of this flick hired professional consultant ... who unfortunately didn`t know much about japanese oders and medals ...

This photo was used for recreation of awards of Tadamichi Kuribayashi

Good eye Nick. I'm not sure how many other members have seen this film but I liked it well enough to purchase the DVD. An excellent

film despite the errors in the medals. Still you would have thought that they could have put more attention to getting these details correct.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Regards

Brian

I believe Clint Eastwood received an Order of the Rising Sun 3rd Class for this film and his portrayal of the Japanese soldiers in it :) (I also think Nick mentioned this in a previous topic) Foreign version case (with the nice gold inlay style leaves etc)

Edited by Rogi

Great thread Nick :cheers:

Letters from Iwo Jima is one of my favourite war films. Beautifully made with a lot of humanity and soul. I really wanted to like 'Flags of Our Fathers' but I found it an incredibly disjointed film in the way it constantly flicked backwards and forwards in time.

The phaleristic errors are very minor compared to some of the outright fantasies you see in Chinese / Hong Kong war films. The medals on Yuan Shikai's chest in '1911' (another disjointed, disappointing film) looked like they came from a box of Christmas decorations.

I was asked to help with the set design on one scene of Tomorrowland, a big budget film set to release in 2015. The set was Gustave Eiffel's office, and he had received the Order of the Sacred Treasure. They wanted the actual document on the wall, but I told them I couldn't get that easily! Gave them a different ST doc, so Nick, you might get ruffled when you see that! Just go easy on me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrowland_(film)

• 2 months later...

And first mistake!

Instead of this "incident"

attachicon.gif1.JPG

We see "China incident" medal!

Are you saying the medal in the original photo is a Manchurian Incident medal, and not the China Incident medal?

I am saying that medal in the original photo is Namangan incident.

Wooopss!! Sorry, yes - that's what I meant, not Manchurian. Brain flatulence….. :o

But I think it is the China Incident medal in the original, not the Nomonhan medal. ;)

Well, I can see the big red stripe in the middle of the ribbon (being overlapped by the dark edge stripe of the Enthronement medal). I think the color inaccuracies hide the more subtle light blue stripes on the edge, making them appear as single, darker blue stripes - plus, those blue stripes are thinner than the bands on the Nomonhan ribbon. Same with what appears to be yellow stripes - they are not, the color inaccuracies merely render them that way - they are the more golden brown bands.

What do you think?

blue stripes are thinner than the bands on the Nomonhan ribbon.

And much thicker than the bands on the "China" ribbon :whistle:

We can do this for another week :lol:

Simply look at the order of his medals.

Enthronement hangs before the Nomonhan but after Manchurian incident!

Why?

Because Nomonhan is a foreign award!

Am I self-propelled autonomous genius or what? 79833aa132a95f14519f83384338df9b.gif

:beer: