News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Chris!

I only can read Kdr. Inf.Rgt. Graf Barfuss. That was the Inf.Rgt.17. Dated 24.VIII.1918 The Kommandeur of that regiment in that time was Major Otto Stobbe (24.7.1918-20.1.1919). Under command of the 42th Inf.Div., the regiment just arrived the Champagne front (22nd of august), probably in the Tahure sector

Edited by The Prussian

It says "Sommer 1918 als Kdr. Inf. Rgt. Graf Barfuß". Stobbe would make sense, unless it's Eduard v. Kaweczynski, and the photo was taken before Stobbe took over, while the letter itself was dated after. Despite commanding an infantry regiment, Stobbe was a Pionier officer - does that match the uniform? Stobbe didn't get his Pour le mérite until November 1918, so its absence fits.

Oh yes! I just read it! I didn´t k now that before! Thank you for that!!!

Kraus writes:
    "Sämtliche Pionieroffiziere erhielten nun wieder silberne Doppellitzen, aber in glatter Form wie für Gardeoffiziere..."

(all engineer-officers recieved silver double-litzen, in flat pattern like for guard-officers...) - Kraus, vol.II, page 739