News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A felt M15 Bavarian with a twist

A few months ago I went to the Wavre militaria show. I was actually very late and wasn’t expecting to find something that day. After a few coffees and a nice chat with the friends, I was finally making my first tour. Just a few minutes later, I discovered this haube and actually was very surprised that it still was sitting on the seller’s table. I suppose a lot of collectors must have disliked this one or maybe they just missed it… Anyway, after a little discussion about the price, I was very happy to take this little Bavarian to the bunker.

This haube has some special features, which I actually like very much… Aaahh Ersatz!

First of all, it’s named inside the front visor (with the typical purple pencil). Maybe not so super special, but for me this always adds a little extra character to a helmet…

Obviously there are made some new holes in the helmet shell and the old ones are covered with a felt washer and grey rivets. The rivets appear to be the same as the ones they attached the front visor and the spike with. This is of course not standard… a logical explanation could be that the original holes were made for another helmet plate and that at one point the helmet was altered to fit the Bavarian plate.

Everything fits so nice together and there is no indication to find that there was ever another plate on this helmet, so I can only assume that this was period done. These two little “horns” look just great and give this haube a special appearance in my humble opinion…

Another important rarity is the non removable M15 spike. I also can’t give a logical explanation for this, but this variety does exist.

Also a little bit non standard are the felt retainers that hold the helmet plate… normally they are made of leather…

The chinstrap should normally have the grey fittings, but this is not the first time these don’t mach… I could change the strap, but then it certainly isn’t “as found” anymore…

All in all a strange helmet, but I like it…

Adler 1

9svr.jpg

pwja.jpg

rlf9.jpg

lm2b.jpg

9nev.jpg

oeoo.jpg

5vem.jpg

hhmg.jpg

ilnm.jpg

7d84.jpg