News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Posthumous awards?

The first posthumous Military Cross was that awarded to Captain Herbert Westmacott (491354), Grenadier Guards for gallantry in Northern Ireland during the period 1 February 1980 to 30 April 1980 [The London Gazette: (Supplement) no. 48346. p. 14608. 20 October 1980.] [Wikipedia].

So Absolon was likely the first posthumous MM, I'd guess.

Edited by peter monahan

I have seen a DSC and Bar that was awarded to the mother of an officer who won his DSC at Gallipoli and the Bar at Zeebruge..... He was wounded and died 24 hours after his return to England following the raid.....

I have seen the medal, photos taken at Buckingham Palace and the newspaper clippings.....

So there must have been Posthumous awards during WW1.....

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

I wonder whether the fact that he survuved the action, even by a day, meant that it wasn't considered 'posthumous' in the same way that an award tio someone who ddidn';t survive the action would be.

Here's an interesting tidbit too. Haven't read the warrant(s) for the VC, but I assume its probably correct, as the article does cite the relevant Army order:

A Guide to British Awards for Gallantry or Meritorious Service in WW1

Originally the Royal Warrant for the award did not cover the issue of the award posthumously. Although this was not officially changed in the warrant until after the First World War, a quarter of those recipients who were awarded the Victoria Cross during WW1 were killed as they carried out their deed of valour.

found at: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-gallantry-awards.htm