News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

another 1914 EK 1

Hi Joe,

you've got an unmarked but "silverstamped" example of the "square"familiy here! I haven't seen much of them the last years......that's one of the variations I'm lookink for! Beautyfull cross-well done,Joe!

Micha

Hi Joe,

I'd like to ask for a really good image of the core of your example - especially the crown and the date. From what I can see so far, I disagree that this is an unmarked "square" example. Reasoning;

The "square" maker and CD 800 crosses are VERY similar but there are some slight variations in their cores. The CD 800 crowns are slightly different and have poorer details than the "square"examples. On the dates, the 1 between the 9 and the 4 almost touches the 9 whereas on the "square" example there is quite considerable separation - from your images the top of the 1 is definitely almost touching the 9.

Also, I'm willing to bet that your example has flat-based "flatwire" catch rather than the typical "square" roundwire catch - the flat-based "flatwire" catch is classic "CD 800". The hinges on both types are very close but you'll find the pins on the "square" examples are slightly thinner than on this example.

Imo, your example is a vaulted but only 800 stamped CD 800. I have his brother, but the core is not as nice.

Regardless - it's a very nice cross!

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike K

Mike,

good points-The "flat" catch speaks for a CD 800,also the poorer quality of the core.But Joe's example here has got definitely the "square" pin.And there are no voulted CD 800 known.So when we remember thad Heyden said all the voulted EKs where private issued I think we've got simply two variations of the same manufacturer.

Even if the cores are not identical to the last detail,they are very,very similar.In my eyes it's the same setup!So....have we got a vaulted CD 800 without mm? A square with the right pin but the wrong core? All in all a very interestig EK(and I whish I woud have it in my collection)!

Regards

Micha

Mike,

..But Joe's example here has got definitely the "square" pin.

No, it does not, as I stated above. Looks SIMILAR, but it's different - width/thickness of my "square" pin = 2.17/1.46 mm, width/thickness of Joe's type in my collection = 2.60/1.70 mm

And there are no voulted CD 800 known. So when we remember thad Heyden said all the voulted EKs where private issued I think we've got simply two variations of the same manufacturer.

I agree, I am not aware of any marked and vaulted CD 800 examples. Whether vaulted examples are private purchase or not is probably not critical to the discussion. More interesting to point out that most of the larger manufacturers produced both flat and vaulted examples. I agree that we've got two variations from the same manufacturer - imo whoever produced CD 800 examples!

Even if the cores are not identical to the last detail,they are very,very similar.In my eyes it's the same setup!

The cores are not identical - period. It does not matter how similar they are, they came from DIFFERENT DIES. Therefore they can not be the same setup. Imo a very important point, one on which I personally have zero tolerance.

Further, after examing the frames of the two types (square and "Joe's" type), there are very few differences - there are some, but not many. The most significant differences in the beading lies at the outer right hand point of the 12 o'clock arm and on the inner point between the 9 & 12 o'clock arms. The frames on Joe's type and the CD 800 are imo a match though.

Now having said all that, there is one arguement that I will accept - as quite a few of the main manufacturers seem to have had 2 cores and sometimes two frames (eg KO, Godet, Meybauer, WS, Fr, FR, etc) it's possible that all 3 examples under discussion here (Joe's type, "square" type and CD 800) were made by the same manufacturer.

Regards

Mike

Edited by Mike K

• 2 weeks later...

Just two more pics....a comparison between a CD 800 and a"square"My problem is-I don't own the EK type shown by Joe,and I don't have a "square" marked screwback-just the "800"marked variation.But be shure I will take the next few "squares" and all the others.......

Regards

Micha

• 1 month later...

Mike,

from your pics I agree totally with you.But your "Sqare" is different to mine So we have minimum 2 different cores?Please have a look at the pics I had posted a while ago-I cant see any major differents that would indicate they where made from different dies.But this is really interesting...

Micha

Hi Micha,

Yes, it looks like two dies (at least for the core) for the square/quadrant examples, but still a relationship between the square and CD 800 (and "Joe's") examples based on your pics.

So it seems there are either two manufacturers involved and some die sharing or one manufacturer with at least two set of dies for cores and frames - as mentioned above. Both possibilities have precedents so I guess it's another confusing case of EK1 "inbreeding", at least until new information comes to light.

Regards

Mike

I have a square marked EKI and 2 CD800 EKIIs, the crowns are totally different in size and shape. The year 1914 being different sizes, but apart from that, to me, they look the same on the CD800 and square (the "1" in 14 touching the "9").

Or am I just confused?

Nice cross by the way Joe!

Tony

Hello

Joe, a very nice original cross. :love:

Here is my vaulted EK1. It is marked '800' on the pin and carries no other markings. The catch is a roundwire type. The crown looks the same as that shown by Mike K as being the square type, whilst the date looks like the '800' date again shown by Mike K. The pin width measures 2.47mm. So is this a square type ? Or yet another variation ?

Edited by DavidM