News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

USAAF, unknown ribbon

Hugh

My nephew owns this uniform with a rather impressive rack of ribbons. (I've asked him to provide identifying information on the owner, a LTC who served with both the 8th and 10th AAC.) There are a couple of interesting aspects:

1) I don't recognize the last ribbon, last row. It seems very familiar, possibly Polish?, but I can't bring it to mind.

2) The pocket button is interesting. It appears to be the post-1947 USAF button, but in brass instead of silver. Does anyone have any insights on that?

As usual, thanks for your help,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

Thanks, Chris. That was my first thought, but my example has the ribbon shown below. Don't tell me I've had the wrong ribbon on it all these years!

H

Thanks, Chris. That was my first thought, but my example has the ribbon shown below. Don't tell me I've had the wrong ribbon on it all these years!

Hugh, the ribbon on your example is the original 1920 ribbon - red with white side stripes. During WWII, the Polish Govt in Exile in London issued Cross of Valour with a different ribbon - white with red side stripes, like on your ribbon bar.

So, both are Cross of Valour; just different issues. The ribbon bar makes sense as it would have been the Exile Govt that likely awarded the cross to an American.