News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Kgl. Bayer. 12. Feldartillerie-Regiment info needed

Andy, thanks for your work.  Your timeline seems to match the one from the "Ruhmeshalle der Alten Armee" Andreas posted above.

3. bay. ID was Reserve der OHL from 11 June to 15 July; that matches your online source that states 11.06.-15.07 "Regiment ist zur Wiederauffrischung in La Mourriere (Schießplatz Goudrecourt)" - so, the 12. bay. FAR was reconstituting 11 June to 15 July.

However, I couldn't find La Mourriere or Goudrecourt on a map. In fact, Google returned nothing except the source at the link you posted.

Briey is near Metz - actually between Metz and Verdun; so, the timelines match there as well.  We can be certain that the Regt. was engaged at Verdun at the end of July. 

So, I would agree that the dates suggest the Regt. was in Vichte only a short time.  However, the mysterious location of La Mourriere/Goudrecourt remains.

Capture.JPG.3f8289c7a025947addf33336e917

Jef, does the diary have specific dates or only the months June/July as you originally posted?  Maybe only part of the 12. bay. FAR was in Vichte. 

You mention the lady listed other regiments that stayed at the factory; do you have that list and dates?  Maybe someone has one of those histories.

3 hours ago, The Prussian said:

We have sunday afternoon. Stormy, rainy and cold. A good time to research something or getting drunk...

Well, I got enough work finished (cleaning and assembling an old crib for our grandson's upcoming visit during Thanksgiving and raking some leaves) that now I have time for a few beers while there is still some nice late afternoon weather!

And I knew you would come through with some useful info to the question of the 12. bay. FAR in 1917! 

"Maybe" I´ve got it, mates...

Imagine, the german writer didn´t spell the french words right... In handwriting, an u could look like an n

The history of the divisions writes about Conflans, other records about Briey.

Please have a look at this modern map

West of those towns is a village, called "Gondrecourt-Aix" Probably in 1917 only Gondrecourt. (= Goudrecourt?) and 2km south of that is "Mouaville" (= La Mouraille?). That would not be so interesting, if there was NOT a shooting range ("Champ de tir") between Gondreville and Briey!!!! Maybe this one did almost exist in 1917? That area was occupied by the germans!

Scannen0002.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Wow, Andy, what were you drinking yesterday?  I want some!  That is great terrain analysis!  I'm convinced. 

It still leaves the exact dates and reason for Jef's Vichte diary entry...  I wonder if he has access to the diary or a transcription.

Well, Rick, I had a nice bottle of a 2012 french "Mas Bécha Serge - Barrique" (15,5%, A.O.C. Côtes du Roussillon)

I think, they stopped at the railroad station in Vichte, while the train with the guns went ahead to Briey.

To take a regiment´s guns from one place to another, took time! But that´s just a guess.

We´ll get correct informations from the regimental history.

57 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Well, Rick, I had a nice bottle of a 2012 french "Mas Bécha Serge - Barrique" (15,5%, A.O.C. Côtes du Roussillon)

A Prussian drinking a French wine while looking for a Bavarian unit that passed through a Belgian/Flemish village en route to Alsace Lorraine in discussion with an American drinking a Belgian-style ale brewed in Pennsylvania.  Yea, that all makes perfect sense!

Edited by IrishGunner

6 hours ago, IrishGunner said:

Wow, Andy, what were you drinking yesterday?  I want some!  That is great terrain analysis!  I'm convinced. 

It still leaves the exact dates and reason for Jef's Vichte diary entry...  I wonder if he has access to the diary or a transcription.

Hello,

I'm afraid I have no exact dates and it is not a diary in the really sense of a diary. That lady wrote down names of officers and the regiment, sometimes exact dates. Sometimes other things. Some Rgts only were mentioned by number. On some occasions I have to look where some regiments were posted. In some occasions that's the difficulty. I'm afraid only the Regimentsgeschichte of Bay FAR 12 can give the answer.

By the way, the Vichte brewry was very close to the railwaystation but Germans already took away the cupper brew kettles:mad:

With kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Jef, I'm sorry that you didn't get what you were looking for...  However, this continuation of the discussion, in my view, has been outstanding.  I appreciate every nugget of information regarding German artillery regiments.  Thanks for asking your original question.  If you find something new, please, let us know...

Unfortunately, my short supply of Beligan-style ales is finished.  I'm on to my supply of Baltimore-produced British-style ESB's! Then it will be time to visit the beverage store!

I think, the question is answered. The infos in the site http://www.omaha-beach.org/Deutsche-Version/Landau/12.bayFeldArtRegt.html

came originally from the regimental history. We know, the division fought at june 7, and th eregiment was at the shooting range from june 11.

So I assume, they could be in Vichte june 8, 9 maybe 10.

Jef, if the lady wrote down only numbers, it also could be ammo-collumns or any other units.

Here is the cheapest offer of that book:

http://www.booklooker.de/app/detail.php?id=A01PTnLv01ZZj&pid=76312&t=ma8mk9rt5wc9t27f

Edited by The Prussian

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the link. Sometimes the lady was quite detailed with Regiment and dates, names of officers . On other occasions she only gives numbers. And yes, it could be other units, IR, RIR, Bay IR &RIR, FAR, RFAR, Füss AR..............sometimes it's a needle in a haystack.  In this way I'm using the books "Altes Rumeshalle" and "251 Divisions" in order to know which unit was in the area. For the moment I have time to do this, broke my knee and I cannot do many things. So books, internet and this wonderful forum are a great help and relief. I write down every possible regiment and will go later to Ypres archives to find the books.

Again, thank you so much for your help.

Jef 

Hello Jef!

First of all I must say, it´s sad to hear about your knee. I hope you fell better soon! animierte smilies krank krankheit schlecht übel

You own the book about the 251 divisions. I checked, that there was no other unit with a 12, so it will be our 12th firldartillerie unit.

I have another info. The 1st bataillon of that regiment was under command of the bavarian 18th Infantry Regiment from may 5 until june, 7 1917.

But I don´t think, that helps, because the entire division left that place june, 8 (the 12th field-artillery later)

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your kind wishes. Do you know if there was a Lt Strohbusch in Bay FAR 12. That man with his ordonance  stayed in the house of that lady. There were 40 horses in the factory. That's the only information she gives... It's a pity I don't have any dates.

I found out there was a RFAR 12 in the area ( Kortrijk-Courtrai) on 7 august 1917 .

Kind regards,

Jef

Hi Jef!

I don´t know, if a Lt. Strohbusch was in that unit. Lieutenant in 1917 means, he was a reserve-officer or became Lt. in the war, so he´s not listed in the Ehren-Rangliste.

Because of the RFAR12 you are right. Unfortunately I didn´t find any maps after the battle of Wytshaete