News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Operational Service Medal

Hi Guys, I`ve justed learned from Medal News, thats theres to be a new OSM, this time for the Congo on Op DROC. Allegedly this medal with have clasp DROC. It also states that the OSM, has been issued for Afganistan and Sierra Leone, claiming that these medals are issued with the relevant clasps, I`ve seen the Afgan one, but the SL examples I`ve seen didn`t have the clasp is this a new development? I also believe that the Afgan medal is issued with out clasp was well with a rosette like the South Atlantic Medal, I`ve not seen any examples of this can anyone confirm this for me?

The whole point of the OSM was to do away with the brilliantly simple, proven and economic GSM and its system of clasps. In their place, there was to be a variety of pretty ribbons signifying various operations not worthy of a separate campaign award - much like the UN tat.

Anyhow, some bright spark realised that sometimes it's a good idea to differentiate between those who were being shot at, and those that were inflating tyres in the REME workshop, or filling out forms and the like in General Office miles away from the action. This system had worked before, e.g. the South Atlantic Medal. Though the usage of a rosette has precedence (signifying clasps/bars on both campaign and long service medals), its use on the medal proper was a new initiative. This was done mainly in the cause of expediency, as clasps for the South Atlantic Medal would've delayed their issue - which would've been a no no for Maggie?s heroes. [issue delays? Shurley shome mishtake?]

Anyhow [still awake?], the Sierra Leone actions were deemed worthy of distinction, and so the rosette was resurrected. Then the Afghanistan debacle ensued, and someone decided that clasps were a rather good idea after all: clasps for those in the country proper, and none for those outside in Zone 2 - or thereabouts. It kind of defeats the point of disposing of the GSM I suppose, but hey, that's design by committee for you!

Then we have the Congo business (Operation Coral). It's clasps all around for this issue - which kind of defeats the object of ribbo... oh you know the drill. Don't try and make sense of it, 'cause it doesn't make any.

:banger:

Edited by Tony Farrell

Tony, I concur with everthing you say :speechless: . I suppose its a little like the Telic medal, were if you were driving crates of beans around on Telic 1 you get the clasp, but if you were defending Civic House on Telic 4 (was it?), then you don`t. In the defence on the new OSM, I think its better to have seperate awards, purely on the grounds that if you haven`t got your medal on then it looks like you`ve just got one, but in reality you`ve got 4 clasps for it. But I suppose we`ll never over come the I was getting shot at, whilst you counted paper clips arguement :angry: ????????

Gordon. :violent:

• 1 year later...

Top brass split on Helmand medal

By Sean Rayment

Telegraph, Last Updated: 2:39am GMT 12/12/2007

Senior officers are putting up "severe resistance" to plans for a special honour for troops in southern Afghanistan.

They fear the award, to be given to soldiers in Helmand, where fighting is at its most intense, will devalue the bravery of troops serving in other parts of the country.

All those serving in Afghanistan get an Operational Service Medal under current rules, but many soldiers believe those in Helmand should be issued with a special "southern Afghanistan" clasp.

Defence chiefs are split over the issue, with several senior officers claiming that the proposal is "dead in the water".

General Sir Timothy Granville-Chapman, one of the most senior officers in the Army and a vice-chief of the defence staff, is understood to hold the view that troops who serve in Helmand should not be singled out with a special award unless they commit acts of bravery.

One senior officer said: "There is resistance to this proposal at the highest level."

Another senior source added: "The issue over the Helmand clasp is still being debated and yes, there is resistance to it because we don't want to end up like the American military, where troops seemingly get a medal for anything.

"The question is, where will it stop? Many senior officers believe that the current system is adequate."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../09/wafg509.xml