News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commemorative Service Medal with clasp Leopold II 1865 -1909

Hello all,

here is a medal that belonged to my wife's grand parents.

What I would like to know is the when it was distributed and what where the criteria to get one.

The date 1909 and the ribbon do confuse me a bit; does it have anything to do with Congo Free State?

cheers

|<ris

Hello Kris,

I'm afraid Belgium is a jungle of non-official medals. It's not always easy to find information if you don't have the documents of the medal itself.

However André C. Borné wrote something about this medal.

kind regards,

Jef

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Vincent,

Those scans are not taken from Borné's "bible" ( see attachement). I found some articles and I put it all together in a binder. It is called "Les insignes privés de sociétés d' anciens militaires" and shows a lot of non-official medals. I have no idea if it's ever published in a book. Hope this is helpfiul.

kind regards,

Jef

Thanks, Jeff

I have that book that you show in your attachment but it only describes official medals from 1830 till 1985 (or 1993 if you have the added content like me :)). Because I couldn't find books from Borné about non-official medals (the ones in his work "Eer aan de arbeid ..." not included) I started wondering if I missed one.

Any idea where I could find that article (preferably online)?

Kind regards

Vincent

Found it (or at least the bibliografic information). For those who might be interested it is published in 4 parts:

Borne (A. C), Les insignes privés de sociétés d'anciens militaires. from: Militaria Belgica, 1989 pp. 89-102.

Borné (A.C.), Les insignes privés des sociétés d’Anciens militaires (suite), from: Militaria Belgica, 1990, p. 79-92 

Borné (A.C.), Les insignes privés de sociétés d'anciens militaires (suite), from: Militaria Belgica, 1991, pp. 65-76

Borné (A.C.), Les insignes privés des sociétés d’Anciens militaires (suite),  from: Militaria Belgica, 1992, p. 47-59.

Now finding a library that has Militaria Belgica

Not sure, if they are in the shop! But I am sure they have a lot in stock.

Last time I went for a quick visit( 2 or 3 months ago!), when leaving a saw lots of books offered for free, just  out side the shop......Militaria Belgica copy's as well!