News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sources for Imperial German flight badges?

I've always wanted to collect Imperial German flight badges,but with all the fakes out there I'm very hesitant to do so.I'm hoping that some of you fellow collectors can put me onto some REPUTABLE dealers,sellers and auction houses in the UK,Europe and the US? All I want is to be able to purchase "the real deal"! Many thanks in advance,Pat.

Wellcome here.

You found one of the best sources. This forum. Here are some of the best collectors of german aviation badges and you will get allways help.

The second one you should think about is literature.

1. Imperial Sky by Stephen Previtera

2. Aircrew Badges and Honor Prices of the Flying Troops from 1913-1920 by Carsten Baldes

3. Army Aviation & Commemorative Airship Badges by Robert S. Pandis

And many threads on this forum like this

Edited by jaba1914

I've always wanted to collect Imperial German flight badges,but with all the fakes out there I'm very hesitant to do so.I'm hoping that some of you fellow collectors can put me onto some REPUTABLE dealers,sellers and auction houses in the UK,Europe and the US? All I want is to be able to purchase "the real deal"! Many thanks in advance,Pat.

Hello Pat:

I know of NO dealers, sellers, or auction houses that always offer genuine pieces.  As you have realized, only a very small percentage of the items for sale in this category are genuine, but most  of the pieces offered are accepted as genuine (but most are forgeries!).  I would highly recommend collecting anything other than Imperial German flight badges until you have years of collecting experience under your belt.  In over 25 years of collecting, I have seen only a handful of genuine pieces.

The Carsten Baldes book as mentioned is recommended reading as he is a collector of these items and is very much in the know.

You used the phrase "the real deal"!  This brings a smile to my face as one of the biggest crooks in the US militaria business uses this line on his website and in his dealings with customers.  Stay away from that dealer for sure!

I don't mean to totally discourage you, but you need to be very careful with these items.

Good luck!

I have two Imperial Pilot Badges that I will be putting on ebay this week. I am only parting with them because I just "upgraded" them with some other purchases. I would LOVE to keep them but just can't do it given how expensive Flieger stuff is. Send me a PM if your are interested and I'll give you right of first refusal before going to ebay.

Brian

I have two Imperial Pilot Badges that I will be putting on ebay this week. I am only parting with them because I just "upgraded" them with some other purchases. I would LOVE to keep them but just can't do it given how expensive Flieger stuff is. Send me a PM if your are interested and I'll give you right of first refusal before going to ebay.

Brian

And, by the way, they both came from Baldes.

Nothing what makes them bettter.

Regards Alex 

You are absolutely right, Alex. The dealer is less important than one's knowledge, but I do consider Baldes one of the most trustworthy dealers of Flieger items on the planet.