News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Golden book of the fire card

TacHel

Found this incredible reference work at a local gun show this afternoon!  I never expected to find such a thing outside of a European flea market!  

The LIVRE D'OR DE LA CARTE DU FEU (GOLD BOOK OF THE FIRE CARD) detailing thousands upon thousands of recipients of the CROIX DU FEU, most with a photo of these recipients, and the list of their individual awards.  Unit after unit after unit...  Even page fulls of recipients of the clasp for Russia with many having been awarded Russian imperial awards.  The cover is a bit worn but the inside is in awesome shape!  This is a big book, and almost 2 inches thick.  Simply fascinating find! :)couvert.thumb.jpg.be44e6da2f5135f96ae5c8

couvert_badge.thumb.jpg.85a5b5af57f7b9c4

edition.thumb.jpg.9486ce3504b26af49d584b

page.thumb.jpg.9218abf33815294726b539626

page_close_up.thumb.jpg.4d86812081c9142e

Interesting!  Thanks!  If I understand correctly, same book, just multiple editions with supplements up to 1940.  So there are 3 editions more complete than mine.  Still, incredible reference.

There are a few abbreviations I can't figure out that aren't in the table of abbreviations at the end of the book, maybe you can shed some light on them?

They usually appear immediately after the soldiers rank, for example:

Soldat 8 ch. fr.   or 4 ch. fr.  or 7 ch. fr.    

What does ch. fr. stand for?

Edited by TacHel

Interesting!  Thanks!  If I understand correctly, same book, just multiple editions with supplements up to 1940.  So there are 3 editions more complete than mine.  Still, incredible reference.

There are a few abbreviations I can't figure out that aren't in the table of abbreviations at the end of the book, maybe you can shed some light on them?

They usually appear immediately after the soldiers rank, for example:

Soldat 8 ch. fr.   or 4 ch. fr.  or 7 ch. fr.    

Ch. fr. means Chevrons de Front, the frontlines earned by the soldiers during the war. (first frontline after 1 year service, then 1 per six months). Maximum of frontlines is 8.

Best regards,

GM1

If I understand correctly, same book, just multiple editions with supplements up to 1940.  So there are 3 editions more complete than mine.  ...

Each volume lists the recipients that collected their fire cross/fire card book that particular year and thus is not a supplement but an entirely new book. To have all the recipients listed, you need all books.

ch.fr. is indeed "chevrons de front", front stripes and ch.bl. is wound stripes (chevrons de blessure).

Regards,

Hendrik