News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello:

Thank you for showing this document.

Of note is the date for which the recipient is thus honored. The 8. August 1918 is considered the Black Day for the German Imperial Army because it showed the  first widespread signs of lessening stamina and cohesion during a surprise Allied attack with large numbers surrendering without offering much of a fight.

One volume of the Reichsarchiv's semi-official detailed histories of WW I battles published during the 1920's and 30's pertaining to this battle makes no bones about the lessened discipline and faltering will to fight. This of course clashed with the "stab in the back" explanation of the loss of the war.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello.

I have consulted the above quoted history of the battle on the 8.August 1918 ( Schlachten des Weltkrieges Band 36 " Die Katastrophe des 8.August 1918" or Battles of the World War Volume 36 " The Catastrophe of 8.August 1918 ")

The 192. ( Saxon ) Inf.Division was attacked by the French 15th Colonial and the 3rd Divisions  with the support of tanks on 8. August. Its artillery had suffered heavy losses during the artillery preparations for the attack , the 7.Battery of Field Artillery Regt. 192 lost all its guns. The soldier named in the document served in the 5.Battery. This Saxon Division was pushed back a considerable distance.

The book does not give detailed losses for this division.

Bernhard H. Holst