News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New book on Egyptian orders and medals

ChrisW

I came across this apparently new book on Egyptian orders and medals, several copies of which are available on Ebay from an Egypt-based seller. I have no additional information on the book other than what is in the listing. The book's author is an Egyptian Police major general, Samah abd al-Rahman al-Liqaani.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPT-OLD-BOOK-/311527758770?hash=item4888805bb2:g:14gAAOSwa-dWml2U

I have dealt with the seller on many occasions and always found him reliable, prompt and trustworthy. But I would warn any potential US-based customers that mail parcel service from Egypt to the US has slowed down dramatically since November. Parcels which used to take 2-3 weeks to arrive now are taking more than two months.

Chris,

Many thanks for this - good to see a publication on such awards, The images do look, to me, as if they have been acquired from the various Government protocol books. Whilst the orders may be better known it will be interesting to see whether the book deals with the numerous commemorative medals issued by both the Kingdom and the Republic, and also whether it details the variations of medals within the Republic, i.e. Republic of Egypt, United Arab Republic and Arab Republic of Egypt. Again thank you for bringng this to our attention.

Regards,

Owain

Gentlemen,

The book arrived yesterday. My initial reaction is that the author deserves all credit for getting such a book into print. It is the only such book and thus worthy of praise. In his preface the author notes that it has taken some ten years to compile and indeed it displays a great deal of work and he is to be commended for his efforts. The book is basically divided into five main sections

• The Kingdom of Egypt (inc. the Sultanate)
    • Republic of Egypt
    • United Arab Republic
    • Arab Republic of Egypt
    • United Nation

Is it perfect? No, but its publication as a major step forward for collectors of Egyptian awards. Do I have observations - yes, but I readily admit that as a collector of Egyptian awards for many years I am perhaps being picky!

• The book is wholly in Arabic - understandable, however some form of English summary would have been welcome.
    • Many of the images - all on full page displays, are taken from images elsewhere - inevitable given the scarcity of some of the awards.
    • All ribbons have been computer generated.
    • Some of the scarcer medals are not illustrated - the author freely admits he has not been able to find pictures.
    • Where possible instituting decrees are noted and given in full - but some are missing.
    • Variations of medals are not illustrated especially the common medals bearing the various different state titles.
    • Some awards are missing - e.g. the Order of the Filaha of Sultan Hussain Kamel, Sadat's neck badge of the Star of Sinai, the post-1952 version of the 1948 Palestine War Medal, etc.

In general the awards are listed in chronological order of institution but there are also copies of decrees concerning the various orders of precedence for wear.

Much of the book would benefit from translation and my next post will be a listing, in book chronological order, of all of the awards included in the book.

All in all I would congratulate the author on his success in getting such a book into print - an admirable achievement. I suspect it will have a limited run and thus in years to come it will be regarded as a key source of information of the awards of Egypt. I will endeavour to draft a more thorough review for JOMSA.

Regards from a cold Riyadh,

Owain  

Owain,

Many thanks for your appetite-whetting sneak preview! The book indeed sounds promising, and looks like it will live up to my high-but-realistic hopes. My own copy is probably several months away from reaching my eager hands, and I look forward to any further notes from you. I'd be particularly curious if there is any material on:

- commemorative medals

- unit-level military medals

- Police medals

- details on recipients, including numbers of medals awarded, examples of recipients, etc.

It's a little surprising that the author evidently was unable or unwilling to use his position -- a major general in the police -- to gain official cooperation. Although that only increases my admiration for his DIY effort.

Thanks again,

Chris

17 hours ago, oamotme said:
    • Some awards are missing - e.g. the Order of the Filaha of Sultan Hussain Kamel, Sadat's neck badge of the Star of Sinai, the post-1952 version of the 1948 Palestine War Medal, etc.

Owain, 

I found an extract of the original decrees for founding various orders, decorations, and medals, as well as the hierarchy of noble titles from 1915 to 1919 (reigns of Hussein Kamel and Fouad I's first few years as a sultan), in Arabic and French, with descriptions of the designs of these awards. "Grades et Decorations Institues Par Sa Hautesse Le Sultan" - digitally archived at the Alexandria Library

It has a lot of interesting information, including something that I had heard from different sources but never actually seen in writing, namely, that blue and red were the livery colors of the House of Mohamed Aly (the ruling dynasty). 

Edited by Egyptian Zogist

Chris, Dick, Zog,

Thanks for your comments - lists to follow. The original decrees at the Alexandria Library are interesting - these have been published in various protocol books subsequently, but what is to me of value is that the above publication at the Library includes the decree for the Order of the Felaha which is absent from later publications. I had an article published on this order in JOMSA in November - December 2003 - I will need to revisit this article. A great find Zogist!

Owain

Gentlemen,

Further to my earlier post I detail below the awards included in the book - much of the detail Chris would like is not present but nonetheless a comprehensive list of all of the official state awards. Where there is more than one class I have noted accordingly and included the date. I have also on occasion noted the more usual English title but in most cases I have translated from the Arabic 'as is'.

Regards,

Owain

Kingdom Of Egypt (includes Sultanate of Egypt)

•  Order of Mohammed Ali – Collar & 1 Class
    • Order of Ismail – 4 Classes

• Order of Nile - 5 Classes

• Order of Agriculture – 3 Classes (This is the King Fouad issue)

• Order of Education - 3 Classes

• Order of Industry & Trade – 3 Classes

• Order of Perfection (Kamal) – With Diamonds & 3 Classes

• Collar of Fouad 1

• Decoration of Merit (Meritorious Acts) – 3 Classes

• Decoration of Duty (Devotion to Duty) – 3 Classes

• Decoration of Benevolence (Grace & Favour) – 3 Classes

• Medal of Marriage of King Farouk, 1937 (Only notes the silver grade)

• Order of Fouad’s Military Star

• Decoration of Mohammed Ali - 2 Classes (This is the Bravery Medal)

• Medal of Palestine, 1948 (Subsequent Republic reversed issue not noted)

• Medal Commemorating Centenary of Mohamed Ali, 1949

Republic of Egypt

• Collar of the Nile

• Collar of the Republic

• Order of the Nile

• Order of the Republic – 5 Classes

• Order of Independence – 5 Classes

• Order of Science & Art – 3 Classes

• Order of Sport – 3 Classes

• Order of Kamal – 4 Classes

• Order of Civil Duty – NO PICTURE

• Order of the Star of Liberation (Police), 1952

• Decoration of Bravery (Civil), 1953

• Decoration of Merit – 3 Classes, 1953

• Decoration of Incorruptibility, 1953

• Decoration of Sport, 1953

• Order of the Military Star

• Order of Liberation, 1952

• Decoration of Liberation, 1952

• Decoration of Military Duty – 3 Classes, 1953

• Decoration of Mobilisation – 3 Classes, 1953

• Decoration of Shooting (Marksmanship), 1953

• Decoration of Military Evacuation, 1954 NO PICTURE

• Decoration of Military Independence - 2 Classes, 1956 – NO PICTURE

• Decoration of Victory – 2 Classes,1958 – NO PICTURE

• Decoration of Exceptional Promotion, 1953

• Medal Commemorating the Silver Jubilee (25th) of the Air Force – 2 Classes, 1957 - NO PICTURE

United Arab Republic 1958-1971

• Order of Friendship (Aswan Dam), 1964 (Only notes the Arabic and not the bilingual - with Russian version)

• Order of Labour - 4 Classes

• Decoration of Distinction - 3 Classes, 1966

• Order Commemorating the United Arab Republic, 1958

• Order of the Star of Honour

• Decoration of Military Bravery – 3 Classes, 1959

• Decoration of the Republic – Military – 2 Classes, 1959

• Decoration of Training – 3 Classes, 1959

• Decoration of Excellent Service

• Decoration of Shedwan (Island), 1970

• Medal of Long Service and Good Conduct – 2 Classes, 1959

• Medal of War Wounded, 1959

• Medal of the Army Day, 1959– NO PICTURE

• Medal of the 10th Anniversary (1962) of the 23 July Revolution, 1952 – NO PICTURE

• Medal of the Navy Day, 1962-65 – 2 Classes - NO PICTURE

• Medal of the Air Force Day, 1970-73 – 2 Classes - NO PICTURE

Arab Republic of Egypt 1982 to date (Eagle changed in 1984)

• Order of Merit – 5 Classes

• Decoration of 25 January Revolution, 2011 - Military

• Medal of 25 January Revolution, 2011 - Military

• Order of the Republic, – 5 Classes

• Order of the Star of Sinai – 2 Classes

• Decoration of 25 April, 1982

• Medal of the 20th Anniversary (1972) of the 23 July Revolution 1952

• Medal of Combatants of October 1973 – 2 Classes

• Medal of 6 October 1973

• Medal Commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the Air Force (1932- 1982) – 2 Classes NO PICTURE

• Medal of Liberation of Kuwait 1991, – 2 Classes

• Medal Commemorating the Silver (25th) Jubilee (1998) of the Victory of October 1973

• Medal of the Golden (50th) Anniversary (2002) of the 23 July Revolution 1952

• Medal Commemorating the Silver (25th) Jubilee (2007) of the Liberation of Sinai

Oooh... I just wish my Arabic was better! (I can only speak a few words, but read it? Forget it!)

So for the time being I'll have to rely on those who can to pass on information. Thanks Owain for what you've done so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have finally received the book. Unfortunately I can not read Arabic but most probaly there  is not too much informations inside. Quality of pictures is poor, but I'm glad I have it, because there are several medals included that I  never seen elsewhere.

I do not write this post here to tell you that I have also bought the book, but to show you the envelope in which it came:).

Regards

Jan

Oa.jpg

Or.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got my copy this month and I must admit I am very glad I have it. Although most of the decorations described in the book are not alien to me, there are some I had no idea of. Certainly, I can imagine that the book might contain more information, especially about recipients, still it is probably the most complete work on the historical and contemporary orders and medals of Egypt so far. The edition is excellent, all pictures are big and although collected from different sources, their quality is more than satisfactory. Of course if you want to use the book as a reference, not only as a source of pictures, the knowledge of at least basic Arabic is a must. A summary in English would certainly be an asset. Anyway, my big respect to the author for a really good job indeed! I am not disappointed and I can recommend the book to all interested in Egyptian honours.

What regards the stamps on the envelope, I Iiked them very much. I wonder if somebody had a closer look on who they depicted. It is the late Pope Shenouda III, the Pariarch of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria. To me these stamps are one more proof that Egypt can take well from the richness of its history and cultural heritage.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

I detail below a translation of the first few pages - I apologise for the somewhat awkward phrasing but the translation could do with more 'polish' but that can wait!

Kind regards, Owain

Dedication

§  to Dear Beloved Egypt;

§  to every drop of sweat and drop of blood offered by this free and proud people, its striking armed forces and valiant and loyal police;

§  to everyone who loved this country and who is caring for its survival and steadfastness;

§  To my dear son Eng. Ahmed to be an extension of my career and a complement of my service.

Introduction

When my friend Major General  Sameh Al-Laqani requested me to review this book, linguistically and grammatically, I thought at first glance that I am in front of a book about modern history, but I was surprised - that I am in front of a comprehensive historic encyclopedia of medals, necklaces and orders of the current era, and that the author of the book has dedicated himself over the past years to collect relevant scientific material exerting an unimaginable and unspeakable efforts for this purpose. It is enough that he spared no efforts to collect the images of all necklaces, medals and badges from their historical, scientific and official sources and documented them accurately. I know that this has taken a great effort, long years and travels from north to south and from east to west of Egypt in addition to the effort in searching for the reasons for granting such awards in both the Royal or Presidential eras for over a hundred years, as he documented the same starting the rule of Sultan Hussein, specifically since 1916 and up to the current period.

So, we are in front of a significant documentary book of history that we may classify as a great document as it has not been written in a historical style only but tending more to the documentary language with the logic of history more than just writing a history.  Therefore, it is not a book of history in the academic or scientific sense because the author has directly used the documentary language more than academic or heritage language.

At last, we are certainly in front of a new scientific effort where the author has succeeded in recording a significant and forgotten issue with the scarcity of relevant references and its sources. He also succeeded in taking us through different ruling times to even document behind June 30 2016 revolution

Doctor Bahaa Hasaballah

Professor of Arabic Literature, Faculty of Arts - Journalist and Writer

Author in brief

Sameh Abdulrahman Al-Lqani, born in Alex, October 06, 1954

§  Graduate of the Police Academy, 1976

§  Received specialized technical courses in the areas of public security, prevention of crimes of public funds and criminal investigation.

§  Received training course on latest security systems, USA, 1981

§  Earned the Order of Distinction of the second tier in the field of public security, 1998

§  Won dozens of rewards in this regard as well

§  Assumed a number positions, most recently deputy director of security of Aswan, deputy director of security of Alexandria and deputy assistant minister of interior for ports security sector.

§  Retired in 2012 at his request.

Introduction

Egyptian necklaces, badges, orders, stripes and medals have not received the necessary attention in the encyclopedias and scientific documentation.

My strong love for my beloved Egypt, and with modest and pioneering attempt, has driven me to collect and review the available and unavailable materials, and to compile it in one special reference which took me more than ten years.

I am very keen to present this material to the current and future generations to make them aware of their country's past and present heritage. In addition, I also wanted to add this to the libraries of our generations in order to be a reference for those who wish to complete this attempt and study in the future.

Also, I intended to present this information in a simple way by dividing the work over the historical stages of the Egyptian State (Kingdom of Egypt, Egypt, the United Arab Republic; Arab Republic of Egypt) and in several sections each of two chapters, the first is for the civil orders, badges and medals, and the second is for the military. Viva Egypt,

Alexandria 05/05/2015

Police Major Gen.

Sameh Al-Laqani