News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Mausers

Tom Y

I have a chance to buy a '93 and/or an '88 contract Turkish Mauser. They may not be good enough for the purist, but my greatcoat mannikin is currently unarmed and defenseless, and they're affordable. Are there any noticeable differences, other than markings, between these and German issue? Any scans for comparison would be muchly appreciated.

As far as I know, the Turks used Gewehr 98's and 88s during WW1. Most of the Turkish 93's I have seen are dated in the 30's for some reason. They were long obsolete by then. Assuming this is a german mannekin, I would go with the 88. They are all german contract made (and therefore german issue)but were supplied to the turks after adoption of the 98. The '93 Turkish mauser looks nothing like anything german issue.

Dan Murphy

As far as I know, the Turks used Gewehr 98's and 88s during WW1. Most of the Turkish 93's I have seen are dated in the 30's for some reason. They were long obsolete by then. Assuming this is a german mannekin, I would go with the 88. They are all german contract made (and therefore german issue)but were supplied to the turks after adoption of the 98. The '93 Turkish mauser looks nothing like anything german issue.

Dan Murphy

Thanks, Daniel. I was leaning toward the 88 anyhow as it's just sexier. After comparing the scan of the 93 and the illustration in a 1918 Infantry manual I see what you mean.

• 9 months later...

The 88s seem to be flooding the market.

I picked up a neutralised one for the old round headed bullet and one modified for the Spitzgeschoss.... what do these cost in the States ?

The Turked ones go for $200 and less. Must ahve been shipped in by the boatload. Can't tell you about the unmodified ones as I've cnever seen one for sale. Prolly considerably more. I imagine they're quite rare on this side of the pond.