News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethiopian Korean Medals

Gentlemen,

I am doing some research on medals for service in Korean awarded to Ethiopian members of the Kagnew Battalion.  Specifically where was the Commemorative Ethiopian Korean medal produced; how many were made and what was the normal mounting arrangement for Ethiopian medals?

The second Ethiopian medal that I am interested in is the UN medal awarded to Ethiopians.  Were they standard UN medals with the Ethiopian clasps attached or was the whole medal, including the clasp, made by a specific firm/mint etc.?  How many were made and how many were awarded?

Pictures of these two medals are posted below.

Regards,

Gordon

eth ob.jpg

eth rev.jpg

eth un ob.jpg

Hi Gordon,

According to Kevin R. Ingraham in his book " Honors, Medals and Awards of the Korean War 1950 - 1953", a total of 5,650 Ethiopian issue UN Medals were struck. As for the Ethiopian UN Medal, a total of 3,518 "combat personnel" served with the three battalions. I presume there was also a number of "support" troops with the battalions.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Paul

Jean-Paul,

Thanks for the quick response.  A reference in a book is of more interest than one in the web that doesn't give a reference for the number quoted.  I've come across the number of 5,650 for the Ethiopian UN medal previously.  I've also seen the number of 4000 for those made and 3518 issued.  I shouldn't have asked if they were standard UN medals because I already know that they aren't.  My understanding for UN issued medals is that countries often made their own.  For example Greece didn't issue a standard UN medal for Korean.  You will be more familiar with these medals than I am. I should have posted the back of the Ethiopian medal in my first post.  Here is one now.

Regards,

Gordon

$_1.JPG

Paul,

Thanks.  There seems to be numerous posts on the net re the Ethiopian soldiers in Korea.  One I read says that the last rotation of the battalion took their dead back to Ethiopia for burial.  I wonder if the first two rotations did the same thing?

Regards,

Gordon

• 6 months later...

There were at least two and maybe three "official"  versions of the Ethiopian campaign medal produced-the most common by Sporring of Sweden, a special pure silver version that may have either been unique or for selected high officers only ( made by Spink?) and lastly a version not marked -and assumed to be made in Ethiopia. 

image.jpeg

• 6 months later...