News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Siam interest medal with case

hoveyli

hallo  everyone

I have this medal,This medal looks very rare,But I not have many information of this medal,in my SIam decoration book ,not see this medal,And it have the same ribbon of Haw campaign medal ,this medal is made in france ,Does some friend can help me find more information ?

Best regards Hoveyli

232672013468181741.jpg

596032398703526461.jpg

633568619524223345.jpg

637083428439466692.jpg

Hello Hoveyli,

This is a Thai copy of the Prabas Mala medal (commemorating King Rama V trip to Europe in 1897). Although the original was made in France, this is a copy and the case is a fantasy.  These, along with many other similar fabrications, can be found in Bangkok, ebay, and elsewhere; starting around $40 or so and up. If you search thoroughly, you may even find the shop where they are made. They are also often found in German and European auctions, without much regard for indicating they are copies.

Even without knowing anything about these specific copies, or the details of the actual types actually made - It is pretty easy to see that it is a copy, as the quality of the strike, although seems ok at first, is not up to mint standards (compare say with a nearly unused coin for the quality of strike expected), and check the case on the insides show the original pre-aged cloth (check under the cloth on the back and between threads, etc).  (Usually they are not real silver either, but some are found in silver and real gold.)

On the other hand, from a Thai perspective, a copy like this is ok in it's right place - as King Rama V is highly venerated and having anything with his likeness is appreciated - especially if it is old-like with a nice appearance. For comparison, many people would be happy to have a Monet print on their wall, and not be plussed by it not being an original.  Only a serious collector would be concerned for the difference.

There are many different types of medals in this (Monnaie de Paris) copy series.

Rgds

Dave

• 2 years later...
    • 4 months later...

Hi Micke

The initial reproduction series of these medals (many different medals) all had the same ribbon.  There were a couple later ribbon versions.  There wasn't any attempt to have them with correct type ribbons.

Long time back I searched out many of these reproductions, and eventually I found the stall of the guy that had them made.  He had drawers of all the different parts, and assembled them in every combination. The bars were all the same.

Here are some examples of these reproductions, along with others :

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• 3 years later...
    On 31/08/2016 at 12:35, hoveyli said:

hallo  everyone

I have this medal,This medal looks very rare,But I not have many information of this medal,in my SIam decoration book ,not see this medal,And it have the same ribbon of Haw campaign medal ,this medal is made in france ,Does some friend can help me find more information ?

Best regards Hoveyli

232672013468181741.jpg

596032398703526461.jpg

633568619524223345.jpg

637083428439466692.jpg

This is the Silver Prabas Mala Medal from Siam to Commemorate the 1987 European Trip of the Siamese King Rama V.