News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egypt Khedivate Judge's Badge question

Rusty Greaves

large.s-l1600.jpg.fef1b666a6c1b756eac3c2caf26fb3a3.jpg

Above is an interesting dated portrait of 3 men who are officials working for the Egyptian Indigenous Courts. This comes from a current eBay auction (https://www.ebay.com/itm/313482230518?hash=item48fcff3af6:g:rgcAAOSwj-tgbFCV) of an original black & white print (14 cm wide X 9 cm high). Although the seller identifies these men as judges, as noted in other posts here my research indicates that, as with the Mixed Courts, several individuals working for the Indigenous Courts also wore the sash with crescent and star pins. Unlike most other portraits of such individuals from the Indigenous Courts that I have posted here, all 3 men wear what appear to be monochrome sashes that clearly show pleats. I do not know if this suggests they may be part of the Appeals Court (i.e., see the 8th & 9th image in my post of 6 April, 2020), and I also do not know anything about any different costume of officials of the Court Court of Cassation that was established in 1931. My feeling is that the variable jackets they are wearing may also suggest these men are not judges, but other court functionaries. As can be seen, there is a slight variation in the size of the 3 stars worn by the man on the viewers' left (larger) compared with those of the other 2 men's sash emblems. 

large.s-l1600-1.jpg.3c10e9ed3d486cff58437b0578e2c38c.jpg

Reverse of the same photo with the inscription "1948 Minia". The date indicates that this portrait was made the year prior to the termination of the Egyptian Mixed Courts (14 October, 1949). The name Minia is a bit perplexing as no Appeals or District Court was apparently located in Minia and it is not identified as a location where Courts had visiting sessions.  

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I would add some details to this interesting topic, with the pictures of my Judge's badge.

It is made of gilt silver; the reverse is struck with the marks of Froment-Meurice and the hand-engraved (better, almost scratched) letters "J. H.", probably of the original owner.

This badge was purchased in auction at Künker's, about 10 years ago.

All the best,

Enzo (E.L.)

Judge's 1.jpg

Judge's 2.jpg

Judge's 3.jpg

Enzo, 

Many thanks for contributing good images of your District Courts' badge. As noted in this thread, the gilt gold & silver District Courts badge is much less commonly seen at auctions than the silver badges, that not only were used by members of the Parquet but also by officials of the Appeals Court, the District Courts, and the Parquet. It appears that the diamond-shaped hallmark on the ~center of the reverse is the Froment-Meurice maker's mark with the rose. I included images of this hallmark as the 13th (showing a similar mark in about the same position on the reverse of a silver badge) & 14th (showing a drawing of the rose hallmark of Maison Froment-Meurice) illustrations in my post of 28 February, 2019, and on the reverse of an example shown as the 2nd photo in my post of 14 August, 2019, all on this thread. I have included those illustrations again below, as I previously have seen only two other examples of the Froment-Meurice diamond-shaped hallmark with a horizontal rose on Mixed Courts badges (the Apostolo N. Gennaropoulo badge and on less high-resolution photo of a badge made by Froment-Meurice from a 19 June, 2019 auction by Lugdunum GmbH archived on the CoinArchives.com website). 

Very interesting to see initials "JH" casually engraved on this example. I do not have an exhaustive list of judges or other court officials, but the volume Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926: Livre d'or Édité sous le Patronage du Conseil de l’Ordre des Avocats á l’Occasion du Cinquantenaire des Tribunaux de la Réforme, par le: Journal des Tribunaux Mixtes. Alexandrie, Egypte, Février 1926 does have a very complete listing for court personnel from the inception of the Mixed Courts in 1875 through the January 1926 publication date. I am assuming that this gold & silver badge most likely did belong to a judge, and that officials serving the District Courts (Alexandria, Cairo, and Mansourah) would most likely have had silver badges. Judges in the Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 volume with the initials J. H. include the following Europeans who only served on the Mixed District Courts: Juste-Jean Holten of Denmark (appointed judge to the Cairo Court in January, 1878, transferred to Mansourah in June 1878, transferred to Alexandria in January 1882, and recalled to government service in Denmark in July 1883); Jules Firmin Gabriel Herbout of France (named to the Cairo Court in April 1876. recalled to government service in France in September 1883); Jacques Adalbert Haakman of the Netherlands (named to the Court in Alexandria in June 1875, dismissed by the General Council of the Appeals Court in November 1876); Jules Cornélis Théodorus Heyligers of the Netherlands (named to the Court in Mansurah in March 1901, transferred to Cairo in May 1904, and died January 1920 in Cairo; he is shown in the last photo of my post of 18 April, 2019 on this thread, standing furthest to the viewer's R in the 2nd row; Jasper Yeates Brinton, an American jurist on the Appeals Court, refers to him as "Judge Th. Heyligers" in several places in his 1930 book: The Mixed Courts of Egypt, Yale University Press, New Haven); None of the Egyptian judges listed on the District Courts through January 1926 had names that might have been spelled with initials J.H. None of the Appeals Court judges listed in the 1926 Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 volume had names with the initials J. H. 

Rusty

285067398_FromentMeuricerosehallmark.thumb.jpg.f79510ae62cb4407c5099b105db88266.jpg

Cropped close-up image of the silver Mixed Courts' badge attributed to the Greek Judge (?) Apostolo N. Gennaropoulo, from a 2014 eBay auction archived on the WorthPoint website (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ottoman-empire-egypt-khedivate-judges-982926374). This image can be zoomed for a small bit more detail of the rose hallmark. As can be seen in other photos on this thread, most (all?) of the badges that lack the diamond-shaped hallmark but are marked with the  "FROMENT-MEURICE" name have that stamped on the reverse above the attachment rivets holding the tablet & coat of arms design components to the rayed embellishment. 

345723189_froment_meurice_hallmarkcropped.png.9391c0ab49e88e60e539773783731bf7.png.301e988396586c9f030634f9c12e88fa.png

Drawing of the diamond-shaped rose hallmark used by Maison Froment-Meurice of Paris. (From: https://www.langantiques.com/university/Froment-Meurice_Jewelry_Maker%27s_Mark). I do not know the date ranges for the total period when Froment-Meurice produced these badges, or whether this hallmark had a more limited temporal use for them. Unfortunately, unlike the Egyptian-made examples, there is probably not any date hallmark on your piece, correct? That also could help identify whether any of the judges with J.H. initials are more likely to have been the owner of this badge. Is there a small hallmark on the reverse of the long ray just to the viewer's R of the lowermost central long ray of the embellishment on your badge?

1199998728_LugdunumGmbHexample.jpg.3b6bc8a9923b318224acd68c98a1f386.jpg

Cropped lower-resolution photo of a badge made by Froment-Meurice from a 19 June, 2019 auction by Lugdunum GmbH [Auction 16, Lot 288)] archived on the CoinArchives.com website [https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=3972878&AucID=4100&Lot=288&Val=f97e5c722c28c73add7c029f374c845e] that also shows the diamond-shaped Froment-Meurice hallmark with the rose in the same position as seen on Enzo's badge and the Gennaropoulo badge. These 3 Mixed Court badges are the only examples I have found illustrations of showing this hallmark in addition to the "FROMENT-MEURICE" name (and pieces that are undoubtedly made by this atelier [i.e., based on the badge execution, that are in original cases marked "FROMENT-MEURICE"} but lack the maker's name also do not have the diamond-shaped hallmark instead of that name). 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Hello,

thank you for the further, highly interesting information about my Judge's badge.

I also find most interesting that the "J.H." initials could be referred to a small number of gentlemen that have served at the Mixed Courts in Egypt: giving this badge a wearer's name, would add a significant historical interest.

Thank you again and I will follow this interesting thread,

Enzo (E.L.)

• 3 months later...

I have been poring over images of the central tablets of the Mixed Courts’ badges with the inscription “العدل أساسالملك”; “aleadl 'asas almalk”; “Justice is the Foundation of Kingship/Governance“ looking to see if there is enough consistency in the calligraphic variation to be a useful guide to potential makers of these badges if there are no maker’s marks. Because of the complexity in comparing the variation in the other design elements of the royal mantle on these badges, I have hoped that the calligraphic inscription might offer an easier key to some variation among makers of these badges. It appears this is a potentially useful quick means of identifying some unmarked Mixed Courts badges. Because only the example by the French manufacturer Emile Froment-Meurice of Paris (the original designer of this badge, probably in 1875) and the Alexandrian maker Rudolf Stobbe are represented by significant numbers of examples in auction offerings (with available images for comparisons), those are the pieces I rely on for much of this post. Most auction examples are made by Froment-Meurice, identified either by the maker’s mark on the reverse, or associated with a case marked Froment-Meurice. Additionally, the workmanship of Froment-Meurice examples is superior in detail & execution to any other makers, and with relatively abundant photos of these badges, I feel confident that attribution on the basis of workmanship is possible for this maker (provided high-enough resolution photos are available of those badges). I have encountered images of only 2 examples made by Wolf Horovitz of Alexandria (one is the only gold Appeals Court judge’s badge I have seen, and the other is a silver example). Only one silver example made by Zivy Frere & Cie., of Alexandria has turned up in my searches of internet auction photos. One example I have seen is attributed to Laurencin & Cie. of Alexandria in the auction description, but I believe I have been able to more closely link the calligraphy on this piece to the style used by Rudolf Stobbe. One unmarked example with a very anomalous calligraphy is housed in the British Museum. In this post, I begin with examples that can be securely attributed to a manufacturer (at least for Froment-Meurice, Stobbe, and Horovitz) and that have excellent-good resolution images that can be cropped for comparisons of the tablet calligraphy. All of the photos shown below are cropped from larger images of the obverse of these badges. I have previously described all but two of the badges used in this comparison elsewhere on this thread, and provide information here on those posts for reference. It is unfortunately not uncommon for some of these badges to lack any makers' mark on their reverse. Froment-Meurice-made pieces also lack any date hallmarks, so it is not easy to identify a potential chronology of any possible die changes that may be responsible for some minor variation in the calligraphic inscriptions (minimally it appears that at least 2 groupings may be identified for Froment-Meurice, shown below). The central tablet with the inscription is a separate piece of this badge attached with rivets along with the royal mantle and crown element to the rayed embellishment (see the oblique photo of the obverse of the badge from an eMedals offering in the 2nd and 5th photos in my post of 23 July, 2018 on this thread that shows the construction well), so die changes for the tablet could have been made independently of those for the mantle and embellishment. This construction also could result in the replacement of a central tablet from a different manufacturer, although I have not encountered an example where this appears to be a possibility. Infrequently, an attribution to an owner can be linked to some historic data about the possible date for those few attributed pieces. Most of the Egyptian-made pieces lack any date hallmarks or the photos of the reverse are not high enough resolution to permit reading the date hallmark. I also have included examples of the calligraphy inscription from several badges that lack any maker’s mark. In some cases, I believe I have been able to match those unmarked pieces with the different patterns of the motto’s spacing, line forms, and diacritical marks to present a likely manufacture for such unmarked badges. There remain a few examples I cannot match, suggesting at least 4 additional makers I have not yet identified, or other die changes that are difficult to associate with any particular maker. 

Émile Froment-Meurice, Paris - Group 1

There appear to be (at least) 2 forms of the calligraphy associated with badges that can be securely identified as being made by Émile Froment-Meurice of Paris, the original designer of this badge for Khedive Isma’il Pasha, probably in 1875. This first grouping of badge inscriptions (shown here) that have identified Froment-Meurice maker’s marks on their reverse have similarities in the spacing of the stroke elements and the forms of the diacritical marks that appear to contrast with some other identified Froment-Meurice Mixed courts badges (shown below as Group 2). These may represent die changes by Froment-Meurice. As is true for any of the badges shown in theses posts, some minor differences in camera angles may account for what I think may be minor differences in the form of some diacritical marks (especially the uppermost loop of the 2 marks that are second to the right in the upper portion of the inscription). Also damage to some of the enamel may obscure details on some of the lower-resolution images. This first group may be the earliest form of the tablet calligraphy made by Froment-Meurice. Note that the District Court badge attributed to Joseph Timmerman may date to 1883 or 1894 and the badge attributed to Herbert Hills might date to 1875.

large.1056709892_1FromentMeuricesilverhertiageauctions.jpg.1ff34fd8c51b35813144022318fe5722.jpg

High-resolution image of the central tablet with inscription of a silver Mixed Courts badge made by Froment-Meurice from a January 2019 auction by Heritage World Coin Auctions, Lot 36093 (https://coins.ha.com/itm/egypt/egypt-abbas-hilmi-pacha-1874-1944-khedive-1892-1914-magistrate-badge-nd-c1892-au-/a/3072-36093.s?type=CoinArchives3072) and was formerly archived as well on the NumisBids .com website. A photograph of the reverse clearly shows the Froment-Meurice hallmark, although the auction description incorrectly attributes it to Stobbe of Alexandria. I first illustrated the obverse and reverse of this badge in my post of 14 January, 2019. Most recently, I included a high-resolution image of the obverse of this badge as the 4th photo in my post of 6 July, 2020 on this thread in a comparison of the obverse design & execution among identified makers of these badges. Although the tablet shows some possible damage to the black enamel of the inscription and normal wear from use, it is one of the best images of the calligraphy of this maker’s design. The Froment-Meurice calligraphy is, in my opinion, the most elegant of all the manufacturers of this badge. The flowing variation in line thickness, with delicate thin portions, is quite distinctive, especially compared with the thicker calligraphy of the Stobbe pieces. The two Horovitz examples illustrated below show some comparable elegance in the thinner portions of the lines, as does the one Zivy Frere example, but those lack the contrasting thickness in some calligraphic flourishes. This particular example has one minor anomaly compared with the other Froment-Meurice badges with available high-resolution images of the design and workmanship of the royal mantle element. The 3 central lines (tuğ) of the tugra (calligraphic monogram) in the Order of Medjidie design element at the inferior margin of the mantle show it oriented vertically. However, other Froment-Meurice examples (most visible in the photo of the J. Timmerman example and the H. Hill examples shown below) have the tuğ, oriented slightly to the right (~30°to the right), although the embellishment margin of the Order of Medjidie remains in the same orientation on all Froment-Meurice (and all other makers designs are essentially similar in this although the tugra is not always visible on many lower-resolution photos). 

large.1624446302_2TimmermansgoldsilverFromentMeuricetablet.jpg.3b6be18e61721bd4a63ee2858e766de7.jpg

High resolution photo of the central tablet of gold & silver badge of the Belgian jurist Joseph Timmerman’s district Court badge made by Froment-Meurice (auction description attributes the badge to this maker, but no image of the reverse is provided. The description states it is in its original case that is marked Froment-Meurice (no photo of the case is present in the auction listing). The high-resolution photo of the obverse allows assessment that the workmanship is consistent with that seen on other Froment-Meurice badges). From a September 2014 auction by Jean Elsen & ses Fils S.A.(Lot 1730), archived in the acsearch.com website (https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3990624). The form of the calligraphy is almost completely identical that seen on the above Froment-Meurice example from the 2019 offering by Heritage Auctions. Although there is no date hallmark on this piece, Joseph Timmerman was appointed to the District Court of Alexandria in 1883, was assigned to the Parquet 1892, and re-appointed to the District Court of Alexandria in 1894. So, this badge probably dates to either 1883 or 1894. This also is one of the best images of the calligraphy of the Froment-Meurice badge motto. I previously illustrated and described the obverse of this badge in my post of 31 October, 2018, and described Timmerman’s appointments in my post of 18 April, 2019, both previous posts on this thread. I also included the high-resolution photo of the obverse of this badge recently as the 3rd photo in my post of 6 July, 2020 on this thread. 

large.1440198421_3HerbertMillssilvertablet.jpg.f11937dde1e4d4f769634fcee3278e60.jpg

High-resolution cropped photo of the central tablet of a silver badge by Froment-Meurice (attributed to this maker, no maker’s hallmarks visible on the small portion of the reverse of this badge that is visible in auction photos). The other design elements and craftsmanship are consistent with a Froment-Meurice badge. From a 3June, 2015 auction by Dreweatts & Bloomsbury, (Lot 175), archived on the-saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/dreweatts/catalogue-id-drewea10199/lot-d2a1fe08-3bbf-4c29-a53d-a4aa00a27910#lotDetails). Although some of the enamel of the inscription has been damaged, the calligraphy is identical to the above 2 examples. This badge is attributed to the Judge Herbert A. Hills on the basis of a handwritten note attached to the reverse of this badge. The paper obscures any possible maker’s mark on the reverse. I have illustrated this badge previously in a few posts on this thread, but my post of 18 April, 2019 provides the most detailed description and photos of the obverse & reverse as the first two images in that post. I also included the high-resolution image of the obverse of this badge recently as the 5th photo in my post of 6 July, 2020 on this thread. Herbert Hills was appointed to the District Court of Alexandria in 1875, the year that the Mixed Courts were created. However, as noted in my post of 18 April, 2019 , the badge for the any of the District Courts (Alexandria, Cairo, or Mansourah) should be gold and silver. This also is one of the best available images of the central tablet inscription on these badges. 

large.178419841_4eBaysilverFromentMeuricetablet.jpg.2ac10e6ab9edd75c24dc29b8225bbba6.jpg

Low resolution image of the central tablet of a silver badge offered in an ongoing eBay auction that was made by Froment-Meurice (https://www.ebay.com/itm/324752955655?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180105095853%26meid%3Dcb14b13fbecb458a9763a497b5cedbba%26pid%3D100903%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D324752955655%26itm%3D324752955655%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2510209&_trksid=p2510209.c100903.m5276). Photos of the reverse show the Froment-Meurice hallmark. There is some damage to the enamel in the central portion of the tablet inscription of this piece. Despite the low-resolution of the photo of the obverse of this badge, the calligraphy is more similar to the Froment-Meurice Group 1 pieces than to Group 2. However, the uppermost middle diacritical mark opening to the viewer’s right (to look like a “c”) is anomalous compared with all other tablet inscriptions. 

Émile Froment-Meurice, Paris - Group 2

large.556728005_5LugdunumFromentMeurice.jpg.8fa4ebcb25d9a23aba14c8cde33a3dbc.jpg

Moderate-resolution photo of the central tablet inscription from a badge made by Froment-Meurice (maker’s hallmarks illustrated on reverse of badge). From an auction by Lugdunum GmbH, in June 2019, archived on the coinarchives.com website (https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=3972878&AucID=4100&Lot=288&Val=f97e5c722c28c73add7c029f374c845e; this now links to a pay version of CoinArchive Pro that I am not subscribed to). I previously illustrated the obverse and reverse of this badge in the first 2 photos in my post of 14 August, 2019 on this thread. I most recently included an image of the obverse as the 6th photo in my post of 6 July, 2020. Although this piece exhibits a Froment-Meurice hallmark, some elements of the spacing of the calligraphy and a couple diacritical marks appear slightly different than on the above examples that I have called Group 1. This does not appear to be a tablet element from another maker, the calligraphy does not match any of the other identified or unidentified manufacturers’ variation in the inscription. The consistency in this variation in the calligraphy across a group of badges that are marked Froment-Meurice inclines me to think these represent a different die for the tablet element from those shown above (as Group 1). For that reason I have included these badges under this “Group 2” category. 

large.139109736_6EnzosFromentMeuricebadgetablet.jpg.7f9434ceb9bff6dc6aadae3b5e16775f.jpg

Cropped photo of Enzo’s silver & gold District Court badge from his post of 25 May, 2021 on this thread. This badge has the Froment-Meurice name and the diamond & rose form of the Froment-Meurice hallmark on the reverse, as illustrated in his posting. The calligraphy of this piece is identical to the above example from the 2019 Lugundum auction. Most notably, the lower right diacritical mark on both pieces appears as a thinner horizontal line than on many Froment-Meurice badges, possibly supporting the inference that an additional die may have been employed for these inscriptions at some period in the Froment-Meurice manufacture of these badges. As noted in Enzo’s post, there is an informal etching of the initial “JH” on the reverse of this badge. My post of 25 May, 2021 identifies a few possible judges who served on different District Courts (and would have had silver & gold badges) and may have used those initials, either with initial appointments of 1875, 1876, 1878, or in 1901. The list I provided is incomplete (not covering appointments made between March 1926 and the end of the Mixed Courts in October of 1949), so those possible associations are not secure relative dates for any possible change in the form of this inscription because of die replacement. Also note that the 2 badges with alleged attributions above (Herbert Hills and Joseph Timmerman) could potentially have relatively secure dates of the earlier period of the Mixed Courts. As noted above for the second badge, the silver & gold District Court badge attributed to Joseph Timmermans, that badge could represent his initial appointment to the Alexandria Court in 1883, and that badge shows a thicker lateral portion of this horizontal diacritical mark. The 3rd badge shown in this post. from a 2015 auction by Dreweatts & Bloomsbury, also shows this same lateral thickening and is attributed to Judge Herbert Hills, appointed to the District Court of Alexandria in 1875. I have noted in other posts that the lack of any gold gilt on that badge is slightly anomalous, as Hills should have had a silver & gold badge if the attribution of this badge to him is correct. 

large.677997600_7Adersilverbadgetablet.jpg.d018f2765b50301c1902879052032fae.jpg

Good-resolution enlargement of the central tablet of a badge from a 10 March, 2021 auction by Ader of Paris, Lot 227 (https://www.ader-paris.fr/en/lot/110892/14446654?offset=200&). The auction description states that the badge is marked “FROMENT MEURICE” on the reverse, although it does not provide a photo of the badge’s reverse. The listing also identifies the presence of a boar’s head hallmark. This is a French fineness mark used by the Paris assay office between 1838-1961(or 1973?) for silver with a fineness of 800 or higher. The workmanship of this badge is consistent with that on other Froment-Meurice pieces. I previously illustrated this badge in my post of 3 March, 2021. There is a small amount of enamel loss in some of the inscription. The form of the calligraphy on this piece is identical to that of two badges above (the Lugundum example from the June 2019 auction; and Enzo’s badge). 

large.809723734_8GennaropoulosilvertabletFromentMeurice.jpg.6fa7118ea79708f64d7b6460852ce149.jpg

Unfocused low-resolution photo of the central tablet of the silver badge attributed to Apostolo N. Gennaropoulo that was made by Froment-Meurice, from a past eBay auction archived on the worthpoint.com website (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ottoman-empire-egypt-khedivate-judges-982926374). The reverse of this badge does show the Froment-Meurice name and diamond with rose hallmarks. This badge was offered in its presentation case also labeled Froment-Meurice and with an accompanying associated photo of Gennaropoulo in his court regalia. The calligraphy of this example generally appears very similar to other Froment-Meurice Group 2 examples, but not to Group 1. However, the image resolution is poor. The only anomaly is the appearance that the superior portion of the vertical alif stroke of the letter laam (2nd from the right) appears to be lower than the other strokes (the previous 2 badges show a less pronounced expression of this). I am unsure whether this difference suggests the probability of a different die used to produce this central tablet compared with other Froment-Meurice Group 2 examples. I have not yet been able to find any historical data on Apostolo N. Gennaropoulo, and am unsure whether he was a judge or a functionary of the Mixed Courts. The image of Apostolo N. Gennaropolou wearing tarboosh, stambouline coat, bicolored sash (green over red) and this badge is shown in the last photo of my post of 24 March, 2017 on this thread that illustrated both the badge in its case and the portrait of Gennaropolou (from the past eBay auction). 

large.1031766470_9ClarkauctionFromentMeurice.jpg.e979641184edb9bcac6ca9c5cf65f273.jpg

Low-resolution image of the central tablet of a silver badge made by Froment-Meurice from a July 2015 auction by Clark Auction Gallery, Lot 0235, archived on the liveauctioneers.com website (https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/38904932_silver-froment-meurice-egyptian-badge). This badge was in a Froment-Meurice case and the reverse was illustrated showing a Froment-Meurice hallmark. This listing also included 2 photos of an unidentified individual wearing a bicolored sash and a silver judicial badge, along with another unidentified medal in a case. Although the lower resolution of this photo does not make comparison as easy, the calligraphy on this piece appears most similar to the Group 2 Froment-Meurice badges. It is unclear whether a couple apparent differences in some of the diacritical marks could be indicative of a different die. Note that the thickness of the upper diacritical mark (line) in the lower right appears thicker than those in the above 4 examples. The bow-shaped diacritical mark in the upper left may exhibit slight differences in thickness and length of the unlooped ends compared with the other Group 2 examples. The loop in that mark is more similar to Group 2 in its smaller loop opening than any of the Group 1 examples. I included the auction photos of this the badge in its case, the obverse & reverse, images of the Froment-Meurice maker’s mark on the reverse, the Froment-Meurice name on the inside of the case, and the 2 associated portrait photos of an Egyptian man wearing the tarboosh, stambouline coat, probably a bi-colored sash, and presumably this badge in my post of 22 January, 2019 on this thread. 

Mixed Court badge alleged to have been made by Froment-Meurice ("associated" with a case marked "Froment-Meurice")

large.2009329907_10eMedalssilverFromentMeuricetablet.jpg.94e9a544f5f32aa4fab172965fa12161.jpg

Moderate-resolution photo of the central tablet of a silver badge from a 13 June, 2018 eMedals auction, Item: EG2365 (https://www.emedals.com/egypt-kingdom-a-khedivate-badge-of-office-for-the-legal-administration-of-egypt-the-suez-canal). There are several photos of the reverse provided, however the reverse has no manufacture’s hallmarks. However, this badge was offered in a case labeled Froment-Meurice. The lower resolution of this photo makes it problematic to evaluate whether the workmanship of the mantle element is consistent with a Froment-Meurice or a Stobbe badge. However, even compared with the Group 2 Froment-Meurice made badges above, the calligraphy on this tablet element appears to lack some of the elegant differences in the thickness of lines. The forward non-parallel orientation of the 5th alif vertical stroke from the right of laam, slanting forward one noktah, is identical to the noted variation seen on all identified (and a couple suspected) Rudolf Stobbe-made badges (see below). The form of other aspects of the calligraphy also is nearly identical to the Stobbe examples shown below. Although the eMedals association with a Froment-Meurice case suggested a Paris-made badge, the tablet inscription indicates at least that element is the work of Rudolf Stobbe. Despite the lower-resolution of the photo of the obverse of this badge, comparison of the workmanship of the royal mantle element makes me strongly feel that also is more similar to Stobbe examples rather than Froment-Meurice. In addition to some details I have mentioned in other posts (not all visible on this eMedals badge), the lower relief of Stobbe pieces appears to be present in this example. Images of the obverse, reverse, and the badge resting in the case marked Froment-Meurice are shown in my post of 23, July 2018.  

Rudolf Stobbe, Alexandria

I have only come across two examples of judicial badges from auction sites that that illustrate the reverse showing the hallmark for Stobbe of Alexandria. The gold & silver badge belonging to my wife’s great grandfather, Pierre Crabités, does not have the Stobbe maker’s mark on the reverse but is in a case labeled inside with R. Stobbe’s name. 

large.1060712780_11Stobbegold-silvertablet.jpg.79b5a53ceef49bdfdf0f4a96c5f197f1.jpg

Good-resolution close-up photo of tablet calligraphy on a silver & gold District Courts’ judicial badge from a December 2014 auction by Baldwins (Lot 844) archived on the Saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/baldwins/catalogue-id-srbal10006/lot-895754ae-9b9f-4f06-9d11-a3fe00ab0fe1). This badge shows the Stobbe hallmark on the reverse. Like the eMedals badge from a 13 June, 2018, Item: EG2365, shown above, the 5th vertical stroke from the right is slightly out of parallel with the others, (the alif vertical stroke of laam, that is slanting forward one noktah), a feature that appears to be characteristic of the Stobbe inscription and is seen on the other 2 identified Stobbe examples below. This also is seen on a few other badges shown in this post I suspect to be Stobbe-made on the basis of this calligraphic detail. I noted the slippage of this tablet in my post of on this thread that can be seen in the offset of the lower right margin of the tablet and in the left superior lobe. Unlike the eMedals example shown above as the last image in the Froment-Meurice Group 2 listing (the 10thbadge illustrated in this post), that has a Stobbe-made tablet possibly added to a Froment-Meurice badge mantle & embellishment, this piece has a Stobbe maker’s mark on the reverse and a form of the calligraphy consistent with Stobbe manufacture. The tablet offset is either from damage during the badge’s lifetime or a faulty repair of this piece. I have previously included images of this badge in several posts on this thread. I recently included an image of the obverse as the 8th photo in my post of 6 July, 2020. 

large.75753349_12StobbesilvertabletACSearch.jpg.bf46d7a97f0dc34697ce97e4919bf715.jpg

High-resolution close-up of the central tablet calligraphy on a silver badge made by Stobbe of Alexandria from a May 2018 auction (Lot 2252) by Fritz Rudolf Künker GmbH & Co. KG and archived on the A.C. Search.com website (https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4974323). This badge has a Stobbe hallmark on the reverse. There is a date hallmark which is unclear in an image of the reverse of this badge (possibly 1923?). The thicker and less elegantly varied lines and thicker execution of some of the diacritical marks are very similar to the 2014 Baldwin’s offering shown above (note the thicker portion of the lateral portion of the horizontal diacritical mark in the lower right compared with the thicker medial aspect of this mark on the silver & gold Stobbe badge tablet shown above and on the Crabités example shown below, evidence of another die?). I previously illustrated the obverse and reverse of this badge as the 2nd photo in my post of 31 October, 2018 on this thread. Most recently, included an image of the obverse as the 9th photo in my post of 6 July, 2020.

large.1668106449_13StobbeCrabitesbadgetabletzoombestcopy.jpg.7f0a864f0c6ac715ac0702638b161db4.jpg

Zoomed moderate-resolution view of the central tablet of the Pierre Crabités gold & silver badge for his role on the District Courts of Cairo with the calligraphic inscription. This badge does not have a Stobbe manufacturer’s mark on the reverse but is in the original Stobbe case. The calligraphy of this piece is very similar to the other 2 identified Stobbe-made pieces shown above. (although the 3 diacritical marks on the upper left of the tablet show some differences in execution). Although there are no Egyptian hallmarks on this piece, Judge Crabités obtained this badge and inscribed it with his name and appointment date at the beginning of his appointment in 1911 ("PIERRE CRABITÈS, LE CAIRE, LE 19 JUIN 1911"). The dating of this piece is quite secure. In addition to the known appointment date for Judge Crabités (June 18, 1911, the day before that inscribed on the reverse of the badge), the inscription on the reverse of the badge, there also is a photo of Crabités wearing his judicial regalia, including this badge, from 1911 (shown in several previous posts on this thread, note especially the last image in my post of 7 November, 2018 and the 4th photo in my post about this badge on 2 December, 2019). Because of the retention of this badge with the descendant family of Pierre Crabités (in its case marked: "R. STOBBE, Joaillier, ALEXANDRIE, L'EGYPTE" with “Crabités” name written on the underside), the known initial appointment date for Judge Crabités, and the name and date he had inscribed on the reverse of this badge, this is one of the most securely datable examples of any extant Mixed Courts badges by any maker of this judicial insignia. The Alexander Cockburn McBurnett badge (shown in a very-low resolution image of it framed with other awards from an 8 November, 2017 auction by Brightwells [Lot 282], archived on the-saleroom.com website), illustrated in the 3rdphoto of my post of 18 April, 2019 on this thread; also see Egyptian Zogist’s post on this thread of 4 November, 2017 describing the items in this lot and providing the link to the listing on the-saleroom.com website) may be as datable. McBurnett’s appointment to the Mixed Appeals Court was in 1920, but it is unclear without better photographs or examination whether it can be attributed to a particular maker. Although other such well-associated badges may exist (note the potential ambiguities mentioned for the Timmermans and Hall examples above), none with this level of secure provenance documentation have appeared on recent internet auction listings. 

Wolf Horovitz, Alexandria

large.297857337_14Horivitzgoldtablet2.jpg.adf1c8ed3041209b9d80454a52db7724.jpg       

large.1121308078_15Horovitzgoldtablet.jpg.3ff717634f55b881e536e8a3cb77b6a0.jpg

Above are two moderate-resolution close-up images of the central tablet calligraphy of a gold example of the Appeals Court judicial badge. A photo of the reverse of this badge shows the Horovitz name as the manufacturer’s mark on this badge. I initially came across the images of this badge on Flickr, but it no longer appears there, and I have not yet found an original source for the photo of this unique gold (Appeals Court) example I have run across in my research. The Alexander Cockburn McBurnett badge, mentioned above, may be gold (he was appointed to the Mixed Appeals Court), but the low-resolution auction photo and description does not allow confirmation of this. There are some notable differences between the tablet calligraphy on this gold Horovitz example and the silver one shown below. The thickness of the lines shows less variation (fewer thin portions) and most of the diacritical marks are thicker with a slightly different form than the Horovitz pieces shown below. One diacritical mark is missing on this tablet, compared with the silver Horovitz example below. However, overall the calligraphic design is similar to the silver Horovitz badge. I first illustrated the obverse (resting in its case) & reverse of this badge this badge as the 4th & 5th photos in my post of 24 March, 2017 on this thread. 

large.163058851_16Horovitzsilvertablet.jpg.892a4f4615f4752ab8c7864cbeedda03.jpg

High-resolution cropped image of the tablet calligraphy on a silver judicial badge made by Horovitz, from a January 2019 eBay auction (https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPT-KING-FAROUK-SILVER-GILT-ENAMEL-JUDGE-BADGE-IN-ORIGINAL-CASE-XXX-RARE-/223282793829). This image, and the one below, are from a badge offered in a 2018 eBay auction that I first illustrated on this thread in my post of 1 December, 2018. That post provides several my description of some of the unique aspects of the Horovitz workmanship exhibited on this piece. It also provides photos of the obverse and reverse of this badge, details of the case, and images of the “HOROVITZ” name and the 3 Egyptian silver hallmarks on the reverse. The date hallmark seen in a photo of the reverse (and on the tunic pin) of this badge is “N”, indicating an assay date of 1938-1939. My post of 28 February, 2019 shows these hallmarks in detail as the 6th & 7th-to-last photos. The photo below also is of the same badge. 

large.1766421029_17Horovitzsilvertablet2.jpg.e2665b273896f45f979805ff685dbf24.jpg

Moderate-resolution close-up view of the same badge made by Horovitz from a January 2019 eBay auction (https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPT-KING-FAROUK-SILVER-GILT-ENAMEL-JUDGE-BADGE-IN-ORIGINAL-CASE-XXX-RARE-/223282793829; this link is no longer active). This silver badge is shown in the auction listing with good images of the reverse showing the Horovitz manufacturer’s hallmark and the case with the Horovitz label printed on the satin lining of the upper lid. The calligraphy on this tablet is very similar, but not identical, to that of the gold Appeals Court version of this badge with a Horovitz hallmark on the reverse, shown above. This is evidence that Horvitz may have employed at least 2 dies for making the tablet elements. These two badges are the only I have found in auction listings that can be identified as the work of Wolf Horovitz (but also see the odd Mixed Court badge design-inspired pin illustrated as the last image of this post that also bears a Horovitz mark). I recently included the original full-size photo that is the source of this cropped image of the obverse as the 10th photo in my post of 6 July, 2020.

Zivy Fréres & Cie., Alexandria

large.797756898_18ZivyFreretablet.jpg.efcf5f23766dc26fa9360f12b315775a.jpg

Moderate-resolution close-up image of the tablet calligraphy on the only example I have encountered made by Zivy Fréres from an April 2019 (Lot 74177, Auction #5403) auction by Heritage Auctions (https://fineart.ha.com/itm/silver-smalls/an-egyptian-silver-magistrate-s-badge-from-the-reign-of-abbas-ii-egypt-circa-1900marks-unidentified-cipher-zivy-fr/a/5403-74177.s) that also is listed on the liveauctioneers website (https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/70835139_74177-an-egyptian-silver-magistrate-s-badge-from-the-r). This unique example of a Zivy Fréres-made Mixed Courts badge exhibits many distinctively different aspects of the obverse design and execution compared with all other examples. I have described these design aspects and included photos of the obverse, reverse, and the Zivy Fréres maker’s mark in my post of 24 April, 2019 on this thread. Most recently, I included the photo of the obverse of this badge ss the 12th image in my post of 6 July, 2020. The calligraphy is similar to that seen on the silver Horovitz-made tablet shown above. There appears to be some damage to portions of the enamel on this piece. 

Mixed Court badge alleged to have been made by M. Laurencin & Cie., Alexandria

large.193837214_19LaurencinCietablet.jpg.4c44f7f5898e99ee990ebb5461751ae0.jpg

Close-up low-resolution cropped image of the tablet calligraphy on a cased silver example that was identified as made by Laurencin & Cie. From a November 2012 auction (Lot 323) by La Galerie Numismatique archived on the Sixbid.com website (https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=515&category=11656&lot=539484; this link may no longer work). The auction listing did not provide a photo of the reverse of this badge, and I do not know what the Laurencin & Cie. hallmark looks like. The auction description states that this badge is “In original case of issue by “M. Laurencin & Cie, Alexandrie, Egypte”. The photo showing the case does not illustrate the maker’s labeling that appears to be present inside the upper lid of the case. This is the only example I have found on auction listings that identifies this manufacturer of the judicial badges. The resolution of the photo of this badge is too poor to assess the workmanship of the mantle components compared with other pieces with identified makers. I have always been troubled by the attribution of this piece as no other example by this maker has been documented in other auction listings and because of the lack of any photos of the reverse or the supposedly associated case for this badge. However, the calligraphy on this tablet is identical to that seen on the 3 Stobbe examples shown above (and especially the  non-parallel 5th vertical alif stroke from the right, the alif vertical stroke of laam, that is slanting forward one noktah), and it seems almost certain that the attribution to Laurencin & Cie. is incorrect. Although the resolution of the photo is not good, the workmanship of the royal mantle element appears consistent with Stobbe, and less similar to some aspects of Froment-Meurice execution, including exhibiting lower relief than Froment-Meurice but as seen on Stobbe pieces. I have previously illustrated this badge in the 3rd to last photo of my post of 28 February, 2019 (discussing hallmarks) on this thread, showing the auction listing illustration of the obverse of the badge, the unmarked outer case lid, and the badge resting in its case. I also enlarged that low-resolution image of this badge somewhat and included it as the 11th photo in my post of 6 July, 2020 on this thread.  The only information I have found about Laurencin & Cie. is the name attached to an advertisement for the well-documented watchmaker and jeweler Leon Kramer. The 3rd photo in my post of 8 December, 2019 shows an advertisement for L. Kramer & Co. of Cairo that identifies “Laurencin & Co.” as one of 2 agents of L. Kramer, with a shop situated on rue Chèrif Pacha, in Alexandria. That advertisement comes from: The Sphinx, Vol 26, No. 422, 29 March, 1919, (Société Orientale de Publicité), page 3 (from the American University of Cairo digital archive). 

Unmarked badges’ examples of the tablet calligraphy that are potentially identifiable 

The following 3 images of 2 different badges come from auction listings that did not identify any manufacturer of these badges. Based on the information above, I believe that the calligraphy on the first badge (2 photos shown) is distinctively indicative of manufacture by Rudolf Stobbe of Alexandria. The calligraphy of other badge illustrated below matches well the Froment-Meurice Group 2 badge inscriptions. Comparisons of the workmanship of the royal mantle element further support the inferences made about the makers of these unmarked Mixed Court badges.  

large.1036118234_20Lundinbadgeobversecopy.jpg.3482b52697add9acbee019f3a986efc9.jpg

Moderate-low resolution close-up photo of the central tablet of a judicial badge whose maker is unidentified from a 2019 auction listing (Item No. 326604) of Lundin Jewel & Antique auction, archived on the worldantique.net website (https://www.worldantique.net/apstort.asp?selbinr=326604&kukat=8715&valuta=USD#valuta). 

The reverse of this badge has no maker’s mark nor visible Egyptian silver hallmarks. I previously illustrated the obverse and reverse of this badge as the last 2 photos in my post of 10 September, 2019. The calligraphy on this tablet closely resembles that seen on the silver Horovitz piece or the Stobbe tablet element. However, the non-parallel 5th alif stroke from the right (the slanting forward alif vertical stroke of laam), is distinctive only to Stobbe-made badges. 

large.413706751_21Lundinsilverbadge.jpg.ea43b9a8c831d3b39a305b5fa5772dd2.jpg

Low-resolution image of the central tablet of a silver badge from a 2018 auction on the Lundin Antiques website (http://www.lundinantique.com/medals.html). This is the same Mixed Courts badge as shown above from a 2019 auction listing (Item No. 326604) of Lundin Jewel & Antique auction that is archived on the worldantique.net website. This illustration appears to show damage to the central tablet that is not visible in the 2019 listing photo seen above. Staining on the medial side of the 2nd vertical stroke from the right is identical in both photos. The item number for this badge (326604) also is the same as that of the 2019 listing by Lundin Jewel & Antique. I illustrated the obverse of this badge as the last photo in my post of 23 July, 2018 on this thread. The manufacturer of this badge is not identified in the auction description, which only indicates that it allegedly comes from the Mixed Courts in Alexandria. As described above for the better-resolution image of this badge from the more recent auction, the distinctively non-parallel alif 5th stroke from the right of laam identifies this as Stobbe manufacture. That also is consistent with the purported provenience of this badge from Alexandria where Rudolf Stobbe had his shop.

large.1043081491_22Turkishbadgeillustrationtablet.jpg.fc41d8f48707db715d086e61825000e2.jpg

The above low-resolution cropped image comes from a color photograph of a silver Mixed Courts badge, resting on a bicolored green and red judicial sash (two bordering stripes of red and a central stripe of green, all 3 stripes of equal width, and good detail of the gold metallic thread border and fringe) that also shows the Indigenous Court insignia of the silver crescent pin and 3-star pins. This photo comes from a Turkish language Pinterest posting (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/475340935664787041/). An associated brief text identifies the badges as made by Froment-Meurice, however there is no image of the reverse or description of an actual hallmark. It has been unclear to me whether that attribution is just a mention of the known designer or whether there was any evidence that this is a Froment-Meurice made silver badge. I previously illustrated this as the 1st photo in my post of 28 April, 2018, and have most recently included the photo of the entire ensemble as the 8th-to-last photo in my post of 6 April, 2020 on this thread, discussing regalia of the Egyptian Indigenous Court. The calligraphy of this badge tablet closely resembles that seen on the Froment-Meurice Group 2 examples illustrated above, especially the June 2019 Lugdunum GmbH badge; Enzo’s badge illustrated on 25 May, 2021, and the Ader example from the 10 March, 2021 auction (Lot 227), all of which are shown above. The Lugdunum badge and Enzo’s are marked, and the Ader badge is stated to have a Froment-Meurice maker’s mark on the reverse. I believe the workmanship of the above example matches that of Froment-Meurice and the calligraphy of this piece most closely matches that of the Group 2 badges shown above. 

Unmarked Mixed Courts badges’ examples of the tablet calligraphy that do not appear to match other identified makers

I have not had any luck identifying the makers of the badges shown below. I believe this represents 5 badges in total whose manufacturers are not Maison-Froment Meurice, Rudolf Stobbe, Wolf Horovitz, or Zivy Fréres & Cie. (plus the British Museum badge shown after these 5 auction badges). The Mahmoud Saïd badge has some similarities in calligraphy to the following two Spink & Son auction badge offerings, and the June, 2018 eBay auction badge. However Saïd’s badge does not match the inscription completely. The quality of the color book plate from which this image comes is not high-enough resolution for close comparison of other portions of the badge’s design and workmanship. I believe that the Mahmoud Saïd badge probably represents a maker (or die variant) I have not yet seen other examples of among auction listing photos. The two Spink & Son badges (Lot 32, a silver & gold District Court badge from a December, 2017 auction; and the silver badge from a November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, both archived on the saleroom.com website) have a number of similarities. The inscription on the central tablets are nearly identical, and the workmanship and certain details of the other portions of both badges. The silver badge from the June, 2018 eBay auction has calligraphy that is nearly identical to both of the Spink & Son badges, and is essentially identical the November, 2015 Spink & Son auction example. In a thread topic titled “Egypt, Khedivate – Judge’s Badge of Office” in the Middle East & Arab States section started by drclaw on 9 May, 2011. Paul Wood indicated in his post of 10 May, 2011 that he had seen French-made examples (not Froment-Meurice?) and others made by J. Lattes and Bichay (Tewfik or Fahmy Tewfik Bichay?), and suggested a likelihood that other local jewelers also may have made some. Paul did not identify Rudolf Stobbe, Wolf Horovitz, or Zivy Fréres & Cie., as possible makers. I have not encountered images of any badges identified as made by other European (non-residents of Egypt) nor by Lattes or Bichay. Interestingly, the badge that drclaw illustrated in this topic is the same badge as shown below from the 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, archived on the saleroom.com website. These three badges are very similar, unmarked, and that do not match the design and workmanship of other makers of the Mixed Courts badges. I believe they represent a single unspecified manufacturer of these court insignia. The Dix Noonan Webb, Lot 503 silver badge from a May, 2011 auction has contrasting calligraphy and several different treatment elements of the royal mantle that indicate it is the product of yet another maker. I separated the silver Mixed Court badge in the British Museum collection as it is a well-documented and curated museum specimen, but it also represents the work of a different atelier. In total, this makes six badges that are unmarked and appear to be the work of 4 distinctly different makers: 1. The silver Mahmoud Saïd badge; 2. the silver & gold Spink & Son 4 December, 2017 auction District Court badge, Lot 32; the Spink & Son 19 November, 2015 auction silver badge (the same badge as one illustrated by drclaw here on GMIC); and the silver eBay auction badge of 6 June, 2018; 3. the Dix Noonan Webb silver badge, Lot 503, from an 18 May, 2011 auction (the same badge was also illustrated from a pre-2017 eMedals offering, Item: W0248); 4. The British Museum silver badge (Registration number of this badge is: 2009,4007.754).

large.569120498_23MahmoudSaidbadgetablet.jpg.f2b6321278234a6f288271d944292d2d.jpg

The above badge belonged to the Judge, Court Official, and well-known Egyptian modernist painter, Mahmoud Saïd. This example is housed in the Mahmoud Saïd Museum in Alexandria, and this cropped portion of the photo comes from an appendix to an art volume publication on Mahmoud Saïd’s paintings (Didier Hess, Valérie & Hussam Rashwan (eds.), 2016. Mahmoud Saïd: Catalogue Raisonné Volume 2. Drawings. Skira Editore, S.p.A., Milano. [distributed in the USA, Canada, & South America by Rizzoli International Publications, Inc. New York; distributed elsewhere by Thames & Hudson Ltd. London]. Plate A 177, pg. 865 [incorrectly identified as a “Medal of Justice”]. ©2016 Valérie Didier Hess; ©2016 Dr. Hussam Rashwan; ©2016 Mahmoud Saïd Estate; ©2016 Skira editore). The calligraphy on this badge does not match well with other examples shown here that can be identified with known makers. However, it does appear similar to several aspects of the calligraphy of the first three badges shown below: the silver & gold District Court badge from a 2017 auction Spink & Son shown directly below; the silver badge from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son shown 2nd below; and the June 2018 eBay auction badge shown 3rdbelow. However, although somewhat similar, the calligraphy of the Mahmoud Saïd badge is not an identical match for first 3 badges shown below. The most apparent differences with those badges below are the shape of the upper diacritical mark of the set of 2 second from the left that is shape like a “J” rather than a more “U” shape as seen in the three badges below. Compared with the three badges below, the lines on the Mahmoud Saïd badge do not exhibit some of the width variation that the examples below show. I previously illustrated the obverse of this badge as the 6th photo in my post of 21 August, 2019 on this thread. As noted, in the intro to this section, this badge is likely representative of a manufacturer I have not yet identified, not seen other examples of, or a die variant of a one of the unidentified examples listed here. 

large.1768614553_24SpinkSonthesaleroombadgetablet.jpg.96f8e2e7427e0047b5ffa865236daec9.jpg

High-resolution photo of the central tablet of a what appears to be a silver & gold District Courts badge from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32, archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10156/lot-63685e70-7557-48b1-aabf-a83200b99d8c). I have previously illustrated the obverse of this badge in a few posts on this thread, most recently as the 7th image my post of 6 July, 2020 on this thread (where I prematurely stated this badge: “probably was made by Froment-Meurice”). No manufacturer of this badge is identified in the auction description and no photos are available of the reverse of this badge. The description states that an undescribed “pawnbroker’s” mark is present on the reverse. There are some similarities to the Mahmoud Saïd badge calligraphy shown above, but the two are not identical (mostly differences in the forms of diacritical marks). The form of the uppermost script of siin is distinctively unique on this and the following two badges. There is some similarity to the calligraphy of the Heritage Auctions Zivy Fréres badge from an April 2019 auction (Lot 74177, Auction #5403). However, the lines on the above unmarked badge are much thicker than those on the marked Zivy Fréres badge. Additionally, the royal mantle element of this piece bears no resemblance at all to the distinctively less-detailed workmanship differences evident on the Zivy Fréres badge. The calligraphy of this inscription is most similar to that of the following badge from a November 2015 auction by Spink & Son. The design and workmanship of the mantle element on this piece appears to be identical to that of the next illustrated badge on this post, the silver badge from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, archived on the saleroom.com website. Especially notably similar is the form of the Order of Medjidie (the central tugra portion is more convex and looks like a boss, rather than it flatter expression on other makers’ designs. Additionally, the execution of the ermine tails lining the mantle are quite similar, and the ermine tail inside the margin of the fringe of the uppermost mantle fold on the viewer’s left side that are present and highly visible on all other examples [possibly not on the Mahmoud Saïd badge?] is either missing, higher into the fold than on other designs, or minimally expressed on both this Spink & Son, Lot 32 piece and the badge from the 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son). These same similarities in the workmanship of the royal mantle also are apparent on the June, 2018 eBay silver badge. Note some slight slippage of the central tablet element from the mantle portion of this  badge, evident at the lower right edge of the tablet. I do not know if this might suggest damage or a replacement tablet has been attached to this piece. However, the similarity of the calligraphy and details of the body of these three badges suggests all are representative of manufacturer of these badges I have not yet identified. 

large.747757488_25SaleroomsilvertabletFromentMeurice.jpg.6af7d366b211845fc9e21f4cee9c5ebb.jpg

Above is a moderate-resolution image of the central tablet of an unmarked silver court badge from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10063/lot-63c1fc39-2c79-499c-af04-a53f010b14ed). 

The auction description does not identify any maker of this badge and no photo in the offering shows the reverse of this badge. The description only states that the badges is 115 mm x 85 mm, and made of silver-gilt and enamel. I have not previously illustrated the obverse of this badge. The calligraphy on this badge is very similar to that of the badge above from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son (Lot 32) and the and the June 2018 eBay example, shown below. Note especially the unique configuration of the strokes of the uppermost siin. As noted above, the workmanship of the royal mantle element of this badge also appears identical to that on the Spink & Son Lot 32 piece. Several aspects of the calligraphy also are somewhat similar to that on the Mahmoud Saïd silver badge. 

large.444638571_25AunkdrclawpostonGMIcsamesasSpinkSon9Nov2015.jpg.50c0486d0b611e880fad6f7d391566fd.jpg

This is a low-resolution cropped image of the central tablet of a badge was included by drclaw in the initial post of 9 May, 2011 starting a topic titled: “Egypt, Khedivate – Judge’s Badge of Office”, here in the “Middle East & Arab States” section of GMIC. An auction reference for this badge (auxiliary information, this is not about the badge drclaw bought or this is illustrated in the above low-resolution image) identified by drclaw in his gallery album description as: ”UBS Auction 80 (Tammann Collection, November 2008)”, which is the UBS auction catalogue for a 4-5 November, 2008 auction (titled: World Orders - Collection Tammann: Auction 80, published by UBS, Basel, Switzerland, in 2008). However, he notes his concern in that post about the authenticity of this badges as it was unmarked, unlike the 2008 UBS example that he states is marked Froment-Meurice and is in its original case. The initial post by drclaw was just after he had received a Mixed Court badge from Jorg at Sammler-Cabinett (Jörg Kalies). I linked to drclaw’s post illustrating and discussing this badge in my first post of on this thread. 17 November, 2016. It appears that the illustration drclaw included is of the unmarked badge from Sammler-Cabinett, not the UBS Auction 80 example. The photo that drclaw includes shows the same badge illustrated above in the higher resolution photo of the badge from the 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son. The staining on the upper right and left lobes of the central tablet (as well as some tarnish stains around the star above the central tablet) are identical to that seen on the photo from the November, 2015 Spink & Son auction As noted above describing the calligraphy of the November 2015 Spink & Son listing of this same badge, the inscription calligraphy is the same as on the Lot 32 Spink & Son auction badge from the December, 2017 auction (shown above), and for the June 2018 eBay example (shown below). 

large.363378224_26unkeBayJune2018silvertablet.jpg.5a6790449c7189a3cbc036394374b1e8.jpg

Cropped moderate-resolution image of the central tablet of a silver badge from a 6 June, 2018 eBay auction (https://www.ebay.ie/itm/263668261167; photos no longer available at the listing link). This badge is unmarked. There is no information about the badge that accompanied this listing. The auction description did not identify any maker and no manufacturer’s mark is visible on the image of the reverse included in the auction photos. No Egyptian silver hallmarks appear on the reverse either. Again, the script of the uppermost siin is uniquely configured on this example (and identical to the other 2 badges shown directly above). The calligraphy of the other two badges above (the badge from the November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son and the badge from the December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32) are essentially identical to this example (especially as seen on the badge from the 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son), and bear some similarity to the Mahmoud Saïd silver badge. I have not previously illustrated the obverse or reverse of this badge here on this thread. 

large.2045070807_27DixNoonanWebbbadgetablet.jpg.c9192713b59d9fa8ef7a92bae4f34321.jpg

High-resolution image of the central tablet on a silver example of a Mixed Courts badge from an 18 May, 2011 auction by Dix Noonan Webb, Lot 503 (https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Medals&lot_uid=199538). The auction listing provided no identification of the manufacturer of this badge and no photo of the reverse. However, this same badge was offered in a past eMedals auction, Item W0248, and that listing provides 3 images of the reverse of this badge (https://www.emedals.com/africa/egypt-judicial-badge-w0248). The eMedals photos show no maker’s mark and no Egyptian silver hallmarks on the reverse of this badge. This example has excellent workmanship on the mantle components that appear very similar to that of Froment-Meurice badges. The most obvious difference from Froment-Meurice design execution (there are several more subtle dissimilarities with Froment-Meurice and all other manufacturers described in my 6 July, 2020 on this thread) is shown in the above photo on this example’s mantle components are the slight projections on the inferior side of the oak and laurel branches just lateral of the binding with the suspended crescent & star inside the proximal ends of the 2 tughs. As noted in my post of 6 July, 2020 illustrating the obverse of this badge, this is the only example I have seen of any maker’s work that shows these 2 projections. Additionally, in comparing this badge with other examples I noticed some variation in the orientation of the central tugra (calligraphic monogram) on this piece and several others that I had not noticed before. On this Dix Noonan Webb badge, the Order of Medjidie element is rotated 180°, or slightly less, clockwise from the correct orientation, as seen on Froment-Meurice pieces. The three central vertical lines (tuğ) point downward in the example above and the looped eggs (beyze) that should be on the left are situated on the right. This tugra is essentially upside down, and may suggest a non-Arabic designer to have created this design element. Interestingly, all of the Stobbe-made Mixed court badges with high resolution photos showing the Order of Medjidie element also exhibit this inverted orientation of the tugra. I will post a note with illustrations about this design difference after I get this post completed. The calligraphy is quite different from that on both the Group 1 and Group 2 Froment-Meurice badges. The calligraphy matches best one of the Stobbe made pieces shown above (the unmarked Lundin Jewel & Antique badge from a June 2019 auction [Item No. 326604] that exhibits the nonparallel 5th alif stroke from the right of laam, indicative of a Stobbe-made tablet), also notably in the form of the diacritical marks. It also is similar to the calligraphy on the Horovitz silver badge shown above. However, most of the other lines are much thinner than those seen on the documented Stobbe pieces shown above and importantly there is no non-parallel vertical stroke 5th from the right. Uniquely, several of the vertical alif strokes show greater variation in the upper height compare with other inscriptions. The workmanship of the royal mantle element does not look like either Stobbe or Horovitz-made examples.  

large.716100396_28emedalsunkmakerWO248sameasDNWLot503.jpg.5be31a5b66e1b8553aa16698f390b7ba.jpg

Moderate-resolution cropped image of the central tablet from the same badge taken from an image archived as a past eMedals auction (unspecified pre-2017, the first time I saw this image), Item: W0248 (https://www.emedals.com/africa/egypt-judicial-badge-w0248). Marks and a scratch in the upper right quadrant very clearly show this is the same badge as illustrated in the Dix Noonan Webb Lot 503 auction listing for May 2011. I previously illustrated the obverse and the unmarked reverse of this badge as the 2nd and 3rd-to-last photos in my post of 24 March, 2017. 

large.515738617_29BritishMuseumbadge.jpg.88bc961d3e03ecec9343971149756e25.jpg

High-resolution image of the most unusual form of the calligraphy in the motto inscription that I have encountered. This unmarked silver badge shown above comes from the collection in the Department of Coins and Medals of the British Museum (https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_2009-4007-754). The museum’s Registration number of this badge is: 2009,4007.754. Its Asset Number, for non-commercial research use, is: 748897001 (This image is copyrighted by The Trustees of the British Museum). I illustrated the obverse, reverse, and this same cropped image of the tablet calligraphy this silver badge in my post of 5 November, 2020 on this thread. Several of the diacritical marks are missing, differently inscribed, or have different placements compared with the normal configuration of this motto. There is no maker’s mark or other hallmarks on the reverse and the museum catalogue does not have any additional provenience data beyond the name of the donor and the date of the gift. Overall, the workmanship of the mantle element exhibits less relief and coarser execution than most of the Mixed Court badges. The workmanship of this piece is of fair quality in my subjective assessment: less detailed than Stobbe or Horovitz badges, and generally not as abbreviated as several parts of the Zivy Fréres & Cie, badge, but similar in the less detailed treatment of the overall design. There are several design and workmanship differences that I have described in my post of 5 November, 2020 on this thread. The tugra in the Order of Medjidie elements is correctly oriented. I have not encountered another example with this form of the calligraphic inscription and do not currently have an idea about the potential maker of this badge. The British Museum catalogue description formerly identified the “Producer name” (maker) for this badge as: “Jacques Charles Francois Marie Froment-Meurice", a jumbled combination of François Froment (Pierre Henri Émile Froment-Meurice's paternal grandfather) and Pierre-Jaques Meurice (François Froment's business partner and later the husband of Émile Froment-Meurice's paternal grandmother following François Froment's death in 1804). I wrote the registrar and the name has recently been corrected to: “Pierre Henri Émile Foment-Meurice”. I also pointed out that he was the original designer of this badge, but that the workmanship strongly indicates another manufacturer. However, those comments about workmanship are considered my personal subjective view, and are not included with the catalogue updates now associated with this badge. 

Odd non-official badges

The following two examples exhibit workmanship and materials that indicate they were not actual judicial regalia but are some form of jewelry that use the design of the Mixed Courts' badges. The first illustration is of the tablet on a bronze piece that looks similar to a judicial badge, however the workmanship is far inferior to any actual badge. Additionally, no Mixed Court badge was made of bronze. The second piece shown below is clearly intended only as jewelry and bears only inspirational resemblance to the iconography of actual Mixed Court badges. 

large.2048392417_30Lugundumbronzetablet.jpg.33624e1d81d54327252b4c6ff6930940.jpg

Moderate -resolution photo of the central tablet of the odd bronze version inspired by actual judicial badges form that was offered in a June 2019 auction (Auction 16, Lot 289) by Lugundunum GmbH, and archived on the CoinArchives.com website (https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=3972879&AucID=4100&Lot=289&Val=efc6a2fa2700e6a994f8217cb7d28a9c; this now links to a pay version of CoinArchive Pro that I am not subscribed to). This auction included a genuine silver Mixed Court badge made by Froment-Meurice. I previously illustrated the obverse and reverse of this unusual piece as the last 2 photos in my post of 14 August, 2019 on this thread. No manufacturer is identified on the reverse of this piece. There are notable differences in the placement and execution of several of the diacritical marks on this tablet compared to inscription on any of the obviously authentic Mixed Court badges.

large.732568357_31MixedCourtspintablet.jpg.479846873b18f5db3780b75a33eb915d.jpg

Close-up of good-resolution image of the central tablet calligraphy on a silver or bronze pin that is based on the design of the official judicial badge (from a December, 2018 auction by Bamfords Auctioneers & Valuers listing, Lot 3620A (https://auctions.bamfords-auctions.co.uk/catalogue/lot/1672cda7783734d000495e169152f06c/e4ebea155a08e205e5ea6a89010099d0/two-day-gentleman-s-library-stamps-grand-tour-curio-lot-3620a/), that also is archived on she saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/bamfords/catalogue-id-bamfor10553/lot-546dbbb8-f7b1-4f6a-a2ba-a9a0009cb8b5). This piece is clearly cast, but appears to have a Horovitz maker’s mark on the reverse. Interestingly, compared with the bronze copy of a Mixed Court badge from the 2019 Lugundunum auction piece shown above, the form of the calligraphy and diacritical marks on this tablet are consistent with those on actual court badges. As noted in my description of this pin in my post of 2 December, 2018 on this thread, most other elements of this piece are more stylized and incomplete interpretations of the design on real badges. That 2 December, 2018 post also includes high resolution images of the obverse and reverse (showing part of the Horovitz name and blurry resolution of the Egyptian silver hallmarks) of this pin.  

Badges of Court Officials in photographic portraits

Few of the photos of judges or other officials of the Mixed Courts are detailed enough for good resolution of the form of the calligraphy on their badges. One exception is a cropped image from an eBay offering of a group of photos of Adib Makaad Bey, that I illustrated in my post of 6 September, 2019. A 1915 portrait of Adib Makaad Bey, a greffier of the Court of Appeals, mounted in a round mat (shown as the 14th photo in my post of 6 September, 2029 on this thread, with a close up of the badge as my 15th photo in that post) clearly shows the distinctive non-parallel 5th alif stroke from the right of laam on Adib Makaad’s badge, indicating that it was Stobbe-made. Two other portraits I have previously included on this thread also provide a small amount of detail so that an unidentified man in the second portrait below is shown wearing what is probably. Stobbe-made badge. The last portrait photo below only has enough detail to indicate that the Appeals Court official Mahmoud El Toayar Bey is not wearing a Stobbe-made badge. 

large.233489632_32StobbeAdibMakaadBeyStobbetablet.jpg.f96eefafcd1f383cc42e04ae3d0333c4.jpg

Cropped portion of the portrait of Adib Makaad Bey from 1 March, 1915, wearing tarboosh, stambouline coat, bicolored sash (green above red) and the silver Court insignia badge, identified as a portrait from the Appeals Court. Adib Makaad was likely the Greffier en Chef at this point, several photos of him with other officials of the Appeals Court show him centrally placed in those group photos in 1916 and in 1920 (also with his name in larger handwriting). The Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 anniversary volume published in 1926 identifies Adib Maakad as the Greffier en Chef du Tribunal d’Alexandrie. Portrait by an unspecified studio (other photos from this potential set were made by Photo Dorés Studio in Alexandria [Aziz & Dorés Studio], Alban Studio of Alexandria, Nadir Studio [of ?], and Racine Studio of Alexandria). This image came from a former eBay listing by shebacoin in 2019 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPT-VINTAGE-PHOTOGRAPH-mixed-jurisdictions-of-egypt-1915-Judge-With-medals/312613240155?hash=item48c9337d5b:g:H7QAAOSwOTZc3fR5; this link is no longer active). I previously included this and other photos of Adib Makaad in my post of 6 September, 2019 on this thread. The photo shows enough aspects of the inscription to identify this as a Stobbe made-badge. The non-parallel 5th alif stroke, from the right, of laam that is inclined forward one noktah is clearly visible, a feature I have only seen on the pieces made by Rudolf Stobbe. Other aspects of the calligraphy also match that seen on Stobbe’s  pieces. 

large.345920529_33AStobbeunkindividualYasserAlwanColleciton.jpg.0bf61d0f7014074c95a52ce0b3856b85.jpg

Cropped close-up of a portrait of an unknown Mixed Court official wearing tarboosh, western style jacket (rather than stambouline), bicolored sash (green over red), and a silver Mixed Court badge. He also wears a 5th Class Knight Order of the Nile. This image can be zoomed slightly to see the detail I am describing for this badge. Although a lower-resolution image than the above photo of Adib Makaad Bey, the non-parallel 5th alif stroke from the right of laam with a forward slant is visible (especially apparent as a gap between the 4th & 5th alif strokes) indicating that he is wearing a Stobbe-made badge. This image comes from the New York University Abu Dhabi, Akkasah, Center for Photography’s Yasser Alwan Collection (AD.MC.002) online catalog (http://dlib.nyu.edu/findingaids/html/akkasah/ad_mc_002/ad_mc_002.html). This photo from the Yasser Alwan Collection is identified as: AD-MC-002_ref104, Box 1 Folder 10 (“An Egyptian official wearing a sash and medals”). The photographer and studio are unknown. I included the original image from which this is cropped as the 1st and 2nd photos in my post of 6 April, 2020 on this thread. 

large.1908990051_34unkmakerMahhmoudToayarBey.JPG.ed97ff3400e8ae2a001bba0a66bce6c4.JPG

Close-up cropped image of the badge worn by Mahmoud El Toayar Bey of the Appeals Court from an eBay auctions by shebacoin between ~October 2017-September 2018. El Toayar Bey wears tarboosh, stambouline coat, a green pleated sash, and a gold judicial badge in these portraits from the Jean Weinberg Studio in Cairo. I originally included illustrations of this judge without any identification of the subject of these 2 portraits, as the 4 photos of my post of 27 October, 2017 on this thread. I later made several comparisons with individuals shown in photos of the Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 anniversary volume, and believe that I have identified this individual as Mahmoud El Toayar Bey (discussed in my post of 1 April, 2019). El Toayar Bey was promoted to the Court of Appeals in May, 1922. His role on the Appeals Court appears to have been as Conseiller (advisor) to the Court as reported in the The Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 anniversary volume published in 1926, possibly not as a judge. This photo can be zoomed for a bit more detail of the inscription on the badge. Although not high-enough resolution to identify the calligraphy with any certainly, it does show that this is not a Stobbe-made badge (it does not exhibit the slightly forward slanting 5th alif stroke from the right of laam). 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Included here are the 2 badges whose central tablets I illustrated in my last post from today, and noted that I have not not previously illustrated these badges on this thread. 

large.1517999064_unksilverjudicialbadgesaleroom.jpg.d31ae67481dd5684d9c5cfd0e9573658.jpg

Silver unmarked Mixed Courts badge from a a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10063/lot-63c1fc39-2c79-499c-af04-a53f010b14ed). The very brief auction description identifies the badges s silver gilt and enamel, measuring 115 mm X 85 mm. There is no photo of the reverse and no information about a possibl3 maker. I illustrated the tablet of this badge as the 11th-to-last image in my earlier post of today, under the grouping: "Unmarked Mixed Courts badges’ examples of the tablet calligraphy that do not appear to match other identified makers". This is the badge that drclaw discussed in his initial post of 9 May, 2011 that started a topic titled: “Egypt, Khedivate – Judge’s Badge of Office”, here in the “Middle East & Arab States” section of GMIC. A noted in my previous post, this badge has a configuration that does not match other identified makers, and I do not have a suggestion of a possible manufacturer of this badge. As noted above, the calligraphy is nearly identical to two other unmarked badges; the gold & silver District Courts badge from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32; and the silver badge from a 6 June, 2018 eBay auction (shown below). 

large.192941957_unkeBayJune2018obverse.jpg.b73652b2c71271e9b0716b978fde830f.jpg

Low-resolution photo of the obverse of a silver badge from a 6 June, 2018 eBay auction (https://www.ebay.ie/itm/263668261167; photos no longer available at the listing link). This badge is unmarked without any maker's mark or any Egyptian silver hallmarks. 

large.1457624406_unkeBayJune2018reverse.jpg.34a3c639a22316b1d894ac33b364d82e.jpg

Reverse of the same silver badge from the 6 June, 2018 eBay auction. The auction listing provided no information about this badge. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

While looking at the central tablets on a number of badges for the post I included on this thread on 6 September, 2021, I noticed that several of these Mixed Courts badges have an inverted orientation of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie element at the inferior margin of the badge. I am not illustrating all of the badges in my previous post as only some of them have high-enough resolution photos to show this orientation of the tugra. The order I am including the photos is essentially the same as in my 6 September post, except for the silver Froment-Meurice badge from the Turkish language Pinterest site that I have included here with the other Froment-Meurice Group 2 (based on tablet calligraphy).

Obviously, as can be seen below, the original Émile Froment-Meurice design included the tugra on the Order of Medjidie in its correct orientation. Only one minor variant of the precise orientation of the tugra has turned up amid auction listing photos of Froment-Meurice pieces I have reviewed. The Rudolf Stobbe-made pieces all show the tugra upside down. The tugra on the Wolf Horovitz silver badge (I cannot see the Order of Medjidie or tugra well enough on the photo of the gold Appeasl Court badge) also is oriented in an inverted manner. The silver Zivy Fréres & Cie. example has the tugra element in its correct orientation. Although Stobbe and Horovitz were either immigrants (Stobbe) or Egyptian-born children of immigrants (Horovitz), not all non-Egyptian atelier incorrectly designed the orientation of the tugra. Zivy Fréres & Cie. did design the tugra in its correct orientation, although many other aspects of their badge design are quite abbreviated and less elegant than other makers (I have found only little information on Zivy Fréres). Three unmarked badges with very similar and unique calligraphy (a silver & gold district Court badge from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32; a silver badge from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son; and a silver badge from a 6 June, 2018 eBay auction) show the tugra in the correct orientation position. I have not identified a manufacturer for these three badges. The mantle component of one badge that has calligraphy distinctive of a Stobbe-made central tablet (the unmarked silver badge from a 2019 auction listing [Item No. 326604] of Lundin Jewel & Antique auction) also exhibits this correct orientation of the tugra, and distinctive bossing of that portion of the Order of Medjidie element as on all of these three similar badges. An unmarked silver example of a Mixed Courts badge from an 18 May, 2011 auction by Dix Noonan Webb, Lot 503 by another unknown maker also shows an upside-down configuration of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie element. The British Museum example (registration number: 2009,4007.754), exhibits the tugra in its correct orientation. 

Tugra 

Some of the information I am including below also was posted previously on a GMIC thread: https://gmic.co.uk/topic/40277-ottoman-sultan-tugras/. I discussed a brief amount about Ottoman tugra in my post of 3 December, 2018 detailing aspects of the design elements adapted from the royal coat of arms to form the mantle with the central calligraphic tablet of the Mixed Courts badges. I am including a small amount  of that information here as an introduction to looking at the forms of the tugra on different manufacturer’s designs of the Mixed Courts badges. 

The website https://www.tugra.org defines tugras as: “A Tugra (or tughra) is an outstanding calligraphic imperial design, monogram or a kind of signature of the Ottoman Sultans. It bears the names of the sultan and his father and the prayer “el muzaffer daima-ever victorious” in most of them. For example: the tugra content of Suleyman the Magnificient is “Suleyman shah bin Selim shah han el-muzaffer daima”. “bin” means “the son of”-. A tugra was not written by the sultans personally, but personnel called nisanci, tughrakesh, tughrai or tughranuvis were in charge of doing this work. It was forbidden to write a tugra without authorization. Also tugras were carved on some sultans’ seals.” (From: https://www.tugra.org/tugra-hakkinda/?lang=en)

large.Tugra_decomposed.png.1da9bb477ab4abe5b7398a3912d3912e.png

Above is a schematic of tugra elements from Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tughra

large.tugraparts.jpg.5ca459208c2c76344ee512a8c2a00413.jpg

Schematic of the parts of a tugra from:  https://www.tugra.org/tugra-hakkinda/?lang=en

large.tugra32.jpg.5ee032cc140058d17fd1995afcdee805.jpg.59111c60a082a93dc6a99cb10b7d523a.jpg

The tugra of the 32nd Ottoman Sultan, Sultan Abdülaziz (the 32nd Ottoman Sultan, reign=1861-1876), who was Sultan at the time the Mixed Courts were established (1875). Although the name portion of the tugra cannot be read in the stand portion (sere, the lowermost component) of the tugra on the judicial badge, most of the form of the cipher is formulaic & artistic calligraphy, and that is what is shown on the Mixed Courts judges' badges (from: https://www.tugra.org/cesitli-tugralar/osmanli-padisah-tugralari/?lang=en#prettyPhoto/31/). 

Émile Froment-Meurice, Paris, tugra elements:

large.1030019062_1FMG1HeritgeAuctionssilvermarkedtugra.jpg.3ddd9f0dd360f764806d071a98a4330d.jpg

High-resolution image of the inferior margin of the silver Mixed Courts badge made by Froment-Meurice from a January 2019 auction by Heritage World Coin Auctions, Lot 36093 (https://coins.ha.com/itm/egypt/egypt-abbas-hilmi-pacha-1874-1944-khedive-1892-1914-magistrate-badge-nd-c1892-au-/a/3072-36093.s?type=CoinArchives3072). As noted yesterday, a photograph of the reverse clearly shows the Froment-Meurice hallmark, although the auction description incorrectly attributes this badge to Stobbe of Alexandria. The above photo shows the orientation of the tugra of this piece with the vertical tuğ elements oriented at 0° (note all other Froment-Meurice pieces show a slightly clockwise orientation of the tuğ elements oriented at approximately 30°-40°). This is the only identified Froment-Meurice badge I've seen that has this orientation. I assigned this badge to Group 1 based on the calligraphy of the central tablet. 

large.1371317197_2FMG1TimmermansDistrCourtbadgetugra.jpg.06871efc81d1683d1f58da9fa7c16dbc.jpg

High-resolution photo of the inferior portion of the silver & gold District Courts badge of the Belgian jurist Joseph Timmerman’s, identified in the auction description as made by Froment-Meurice. This image is from a September 2014 auction by Jean Elsen & ses Fils S.A.(Lot 1730), archived in the acsearch.com website (https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3990624). Although unmarked, the workmanship of this badge is consistent with other examples of Froment-Meurice Court badges. The central tablet calligraphy belongs to my Group 1, discussed in my 6 September, 2021 post. Unlike the Heritage Auctions example above. The orientation of the three tuğ elements of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie is rotated slightly clockwise to ~30°-40°, as seen on all other Froment-Meurice badges. 

large.355670788_3FMG1HerbertAHillssilvertugra.jpg.bdae100ba726244a90f4f0f9b1a252f3.jpg

High-resolution cropped photo of the inferior portion showing the Order of Medjidie element of a silver badge by Froment-Meurice (attributed to this maker, no maker’s hallmarks visible on the small portion of the reverse of this badge that is visible in auction photos). From a 3 June, 2015 auction by Dreweatts & Bloomsbury, (Lot 175), archived on the-saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/dreweatts/catalogue-id-drewea10199/lot-d2a1fe08-3bbf-4c29-a53d-a4aa00a27910#lotDetails). Although unmarked, the workmanship of this badge is consistent with other Froment-Meurice made examples, and the tablet calligraphy matches the Group 1 variations discussed in my post of 6 September, 2021. As previously noted, this badge is attributed to the Judge Herbert A. Hills on the basis of a handwritten note attached to the reverse of this badge. As with the all of the Froment-Meuric badges other than the Heritage Auctions example, the orientation of the three tuğ elements of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie can be seen to be rotated slightly clockwise to ~30°-40°. 

large.1905469473_4FMG2Lugdunumsilvermarkedtugra.jpg.ca02a15ee419b8ada97bb1493fdaf462.jpg

Moderate-resolution photo of the inferior margin showing the tugra on the Order of Medjidie design element  from a badge made by Froment-Meurice (maker’s hallmarks illustrated on reverse of badge). From an auction by Lugdunum GmbH, in June 2019, archived on the coinarchives.com website (https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=3972878&AucID=4100&Lot=288&Val=f97e5c722c28c73add7c029f374c845e; this now links to a pay version of CoinArchive Pro that I am not subscribed to). The tablet calligraphy of this example falls within the Group 2. The orientation of the tuğ elements of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie also is rotated slightly clockwise to ~30°-40°. 

large.313376640_5FMG2EnzosDistrCourtbadgetugra.jpg.bc0729bba5d4a27dcc26aa661902371f.jpg

The inferior portion of Enzo’s Froment-Meurice gold & silver District Courts badge showing the Order of Medjidie design element, cropped from his post of 25 May, 2021 on this thread. This badge has the Froment-Meurice name and the diamond & rose form of the Froment-Meurice hallmark on the reverse. The tuğ elements of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie are rotated slightly clockwise to ~30°-40°, as on all Froment-Meurice examples except the Heritage Auctions example shown as the first photo in this post. I classified the tablet calligraphy on this badge as matching the Group 2 set of badges in my post of 6 September, 2021. 

large.497568702_6FMG2Adersilverbadgetugra.jpg.5c1c4d9df963f7d816d17edb92daa205.jpg

High-resolution image of the inferior margin of a Froment-Meurice made Mixed Courts badge from a 10 March, 2021 auction by Ader of Paris, Lot 227 (https://www.ader-paris.fr/en/lot/110892/14446654?offset=200&). No photo is provided of the reverse of the bade but the auction description states that it is marked “FROMENT MEURICE” on the reverse, along with a boar’s head silver purity mark (800 or higher). The tugra is shown well in this photo  and the ~30°-40°orientation from ciockwise of the three tuğ of the tugra is quite apparent. This badge was assigned to Group 2 of the variation in tablet insciptions in my post of 6 September, 2021.  

large.1267101321_7FMG2TurkishPinterestsilvertugra.jpg.08eed2c08924ddb4a3decceb1d415f3f.jpg

Low-resolution photograph of a silver Mixed Courts badge, resting on a bicolored green and red judicial sash (two bordering stripes of red and a central stripe of green, all 3 stripes of equal width, and good detail of the gold metallic thread border and fringe) that also shows the Indigenous Court insignia of the silver crescent pin and 3-star pins. This photo comes from a Turkish language Pinterest posting (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/475340935664787041/). The Pinterest image includes a statement that this badges as a Froment-Meurice made example. Although no image of the reverse is provided, the workmanship is consistent with other Froment-Meurice pieces and the calligraphy of the tablet is that seen in Group 2 badges by this maker. The ~30°-40°orientation from ciockwise of the three tuğ of the tugra is visible even in this low-resolution image.  

Rudolf Stobbe, Alexandria, tugra elements: 

Unlike the Froment-Meurice examples, it appears that all of the Stobbe-made Mixed Courts badges show an inverted orientation of the tugra on the Order of Medjdie design component. 

large.506082961_8StobbeDistrCourtbadgetugra.jpg.04c1d15ff92cecf6a73b02ebec4ef1ca.jpg

Good-resolution close-up photo (that can be zoomed for a bit more detail) of the inferior portion of a silver & gold District Courts’ judicial badge from a December 2014 auction by Baldwins (Lot 844) Archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/baldwins/catalogue-id-srbal10006/lot-895754ae-9b9f-4f06-9d11-a3fe00ab0fe1). 

This badge shows the Stobbe hallmark on the reverse. Although not completely clear in the photo, the three tuğ of the tugra are pointed downward, the beyze (inner & outer eggs) can be seen on the right instead of on the left, and the hançer (arms) are pointing to the left instead of the right. The tugra is inverted 180° from it’s correct orientation. 

large.850467690_9StobbeFritzRudolfKuenkerbadgetugra.jpg.e6d2b85d9f1d1914dfde4f688c11852e.jpg

Moderate resolution photo of the inferior margin of a silver Stobbe made badge from a May 2018 auction (Lot 2252) by Fritz Rudolf Künker GmbH & Co. KG and archived on the A.C. Search.com website (https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4974323). The badge has a Stobbe maker’s mark on the reverse. Although the photo resolution is not good, the beyze, and the sere (stand) can be distinguished in the incorrect upside-down orientation. 

large.3044628_10StobbeCrabitesDistrCourttugra.jpg.0279df36a4ede0fb47a01add97252699.jpg

Photo of the inferior margin of the Pierre Crabités gold & silver badge badge of the Cairo District Court. This badge is unmarked, but is in a case marked R. Stobbe, and is engraved on the reverse with Crabités name and the date of his appointment to the Cairo Courts ("PIERRE CRABITÈS, LE CAIRE, LE 19 JUIN 1911"). This image can be zoomed slightly to see that the three tuğ of the tugra are oriented downwards and the beyze can be seen on the right instead of the left side of the tugra

large.1052657511_11StobbetabletLundinsilverunmarkedtugra.jpg.f96f2ae40b6d8e4cfe99bdd4842beb16.jpg

Low-resolution close-up of the inferior portion of a silver Mixed Courts badge whose maker is unidentified from a 2019 auction listing (Item No. 326604) of Lundin Jewel & Antique auction, archived on the worldantique.net website (https://www.worldantique.net/apstort.asp?selbinr=326604&kukat=8715&valuta=USD#valuta). 

The calligraphy of the central tablet matches the form seen only on Stobbe-made badges central tablet inscriptions (showing the non-parallel 5th alif stroke from the right, the slanting forward alif vertical stroke of laam that is distinctive only to Stobbe-made badges) and the workmanship of additional portions of the badge are generally consistent with other Stobbe Mixed Court badges. No maker’s mark is visible on the photos of the reverse of this badge. However, unlike all of the other Stobbe pieces, the tugra is correctly oriented on the Order of Medjidie element of this piece. Although the three tuğ of the tugra are hard to distinguish in this photo, the beyze and hançer are visible in their correct positions, the beyze on the left and the hançer on the right. If this a Stobbe-made badge, then it is the only example I have seen that shows the correct orientation of the tugra. I suspect this may be a badge combining elements from different makers. The form of the Order of Medjidie appears to show some convex bossing, rather than the flatter form seen on the above three Stobbe-made badges. There are three other badges that do show this kind of bossing of the Order of Medjidie, and the tugra is correctly oriented on all three of those badges (an unmarked gold & silver District Court badge from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32; an unmarked silver badge from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son; and a silver badge from a 6 June, 2018 eBay auction). All of these badges share the same distinctive form of calligraphy (the unique configuration of the strokes of the uppermost siin letter are discussed in my post of 6 September, 2021 for these 3 badges, the 24th-27th photos in that post). I mentioned the possibility that a tablet from a different manufacturer's badge might be attached to the body of a badge made by another maker in the introduction to my 6 September post looking at variation in calligraphy. This badge may suggest that the royal mantle (and possibly the embellishment) were made by the same unidentified atelier as the three badges just mentioned, with a Stobbe-made tablet attached during repair or for recent sale. The calligraphy of this piece decidedly looks like Stobbe workmanship and not at all like that seen on the other three badges from an unknown Maison

large.1568748381_12StobbetableteMedalssilverunmarkedbadgeobliqueviewtugra.jpg.472097f035ae05d91acd57c291802c6c.jpg

Moderate resolution oblique view of the Order of Medjidie element on a silver badge from a 13 June, 2018 eMedals auction, Item: EG2365 (https://www.emedals.com/egypt-kingdom-a-khedivate-badge-of-office-for-the-legal-administration-of-egypt-the-suez-canal). This badge does not have a maker’s mark on the reverse (nor any Egyptian hallmarks), however the badge was offered in an “associated” case marked Froment-Meurice. However, as noted in my post of 6 September, 2021, the calligraphy of this piece shows the 5th alif vertical stroke from the right of laam, slanting forward one noktah, identically to the noted variation seen on all identified Rudolf Stobbe-made badges. The workmanship of the body of the badge also more closely resembles the form of Stobbe badges, although the photos are not good enough for detailed comparisons. The frontal image of the obverse of this badge does not show the tugra element well, and this oblique view shows it only slightly better. Despite the low-resolution of this photo, zooming the above image slightly appears to show that the tuğ of the tugra are pointed downward and the beyze is oriented on the right instead of the left side. As with all of the other Stobbe made badges, except the silver  2019 auction badge (Item No. 326604) of Lundin Jewel & Antique shown above (that I now suspect is a Stobbe made tablet attached to an as-yet-unidentified maker's mantle element), this example also shows an inverted, upside-down orientation of the tugra.

Wolf Horovitz, Alexandria, tugra element: 

large.112030556_14Horovitzsilverobverse2tugra.jpg.bc6de783e9da369cbbf46ca7369c0a9c.jpg

High-resolution cropped image of the Order of Medjidie element on a silver judicial badge made by Horovitz, from a January 2019 eBay auction (https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPT-KING-FAROUK-SILVER-GILT-ENAMEL-JUDGE-BADGE-IN-ORIGINAL-CASE-XXX-RARE-/223282793829; this link is no longer active). This badge is marked with the “HOROVITZ” name and the 3 Egyptian silver hallmarks on the reverse. The image above shows readily the inverted orientation of the tugra on this Horovitz badge; the tuğ clearly point downward, the beyze is visible on the right instead of the left, the hançer are seen on the left instead of on the right, and the sere (stand) is visible at the top of the tugra, not as the base of the tugra (that includes the main text of the tugra, i.e., the names of the sultan and his father, the appellations and the prayer “ever victorious”, etc.). None are in their correct positions. This badge is marked with the Egyptian date hallmark “N”, indicating an assay date of 1938-1939. The photos of the Horovitz gold Appeals Court badge (from a former Flickr posting) are not high enough resolution to distinguish the orientation of the tugra adequately. 

Zivy Fréres & Cie., Alexandria, tugra element: 

large.1700339724_15ZivyFreressilverbadgetugra.jpg.711e1fd3814cba42a7436a1a2fd7c030.jpg

Tugra elements on badges with unidentified manufacturers:

High-resolution close-up image of the Order of Medjidie design element a silver Mixed Courts badge that is the only example I have encountered made by Zivy Fréres & Cie. from an April 2019 (Lot 74177, Auction #5403) auction by Heritage Auctions (https://fineart.ha.com/itm/silver-smalls/an-egyptian-silver-magistrate-s-badge-from-the-reign-of-abbas-ii-egypt-circa-1900marks-unidentified-cipher-zivy-fr/a/5403-74177.s) that also is listed on the liveauctioneers website (https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/70835139_74177-an-egyptian-silver-magistrate-s-badge-from-the-r). This image shows the distinctly more abbreviated form of the Order of Medjidie element, the wreath around it, the missing crescent and star above the wreath, the less detailed craftsmanship of the ermine tails on the interior of the royal mantle, and the more casual sculpting of the interior mantle fur with coarse tool marks of the Zivy Fréres workmanship. The high-resolution close-up shows the tugra in its correct orientation. All elements of the tugra are clearly visible, but the detail is not good enough (in the execution) for me to hazard a secure identification of the name represented by this tugra

large.1845781202_16unkSpinkSonDistrCourtbadgetugra.jpg.76272ade4f30edff0fb0c23b32df0c60.jpg

Cropped image of the inferior margin of a silver & gold District Court badge from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32, archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10156/lot-63685e70-7557-48b1-aabf-a83200b99d8c). There is no maker's mark on this badge. The tugra on this piece is oriented correctly. The tuğ appear to be oriented upward, but the beyze can be readily seen in the correct position on the left of the tugra and the hançer also appear to be properly on the right. As noted in my 6 September 2021 post here, the calligraphy on this badge is distinctively similar to a silver badge from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, archived on the saleroom.com website (shown directly below) and a silver badge from a June, 2018 eBay auction (shown second below). All of these three badges are unmarked and I do not have any good idea of possible manufacturers. This is the first of three similar badges (the other two are shown directly below) whose mantle elements are more comparable to the Order of Medjidie element and correct orientation of the tugra seen on the unmarked badge from a 2019 auction listing (Item No. 326604) of Lundin Jewel & Antique and shown above with what  appears to be a retrofitted Stobbe tablet with different calligraphy from these three unmarked badges. Note the bossing of the center of the Order of Medjidie with the tugra compared with its flatter configuration by other makers. 

large.851599671_17unksilverjudicialbadgesaleroomtugra.jpg.29a30fb79f1abc2e720903ad4260ae8f.jpg

Moderate-resolution image of the inferior portion of an unmarked silver court badge from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10063/lot-63c1fc39-2c79-499c-af04-a53f010b14ed). This image can be zoomed for some additional detail. The stylized tugra on this piece is in its correct orientation. Zoomed, the lighting in this photo shows very well the position of the tuğ at the top of the tugra, the beyze to the left, the hançer to the right and the sere (stand) at the base of the tugra. As noted, the calligraphy of the central tablet of his piece is identical to that of the silver & gold district Court badge from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32 shown above and the badge from a June, 2018 eBay auction, shown below. Again, also note the bossing of the Order of Medjidie, similar to the form on the Lundin Jewel & Antique 2019 auction listing (Item No. 326604) shown above with what appears to be a Stobbe-made tablet. As I had not previously illustrated the enter obverse of this badge, I included an image as the first photo in my 2nd post of yesterday. 

large.630522831_18unkeBayJune2018obversetugra.jpg.8fbdf53bb03e7a06db46cc396d0feda5.jpg

Low-resolution cropped image of the lower portion of a silver badge from a 6 June, 2018 eBay auction (https://www.ebay.ie/itm/263668261167; the photos are no longer available at the listing link). Although the images does not provide good detail, if zoomed a couple elements of the tugra can be distinguished enough to show it in the correct orientation (the three tuğ are at the top; the beyze is on the left; and the sere is visible at the base of the tugra). As noted, the calligraphy of the central tablet of this piece is identical to that seen on the two Spink & Son Mixed Courts badges (4 December, 2017 auction Lot 32; and 19 November, 2015 auction, both archived on the saleroom.com website) shown above. These three badges show similar calligraphy (especially notable is the distinctive form of the strokes on the uppermost siin) and all three exhibit the tugra on the Order of Medjidie in its correct orientation. Also note the bossed form of the Order of Medjidie as seen on the two badges directly above and on the badge from the Lundin Jewel & Antique 2019 auction listing (Item No. 326604) that has the Stobbe form of the tablet calligraphy. I also noted yesterday that I had not previously illustrated the obverse and reverse of this badge, and the 2nd and 3rd photo of my 2nd post yesterday show the images that were previously available on the eBay listing for this badge. 

large.521999953_19unkDixNoonanWebbsilverbadgetugra.jpg.0fa33522523975309663f4ffd7fdc040.jpg

High-resolution image of the inferior margin of an unmarked silver example of a Mixed Courts badge from an 18 May, 2011 auction by Dix Noonan Webb, Lot 503 (https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/lot.php?department=Medals&lot_uid=199538) showing the Order of Medjidie element and tugra. No photo of the reverse is included with this listing, but this same badge was previously illustrated on a past eMedals auction, Item W0248: (https://www.emedals.com/africa/egypt-judicial-badge-w0248) and showed views of the unmarked reverse of this badge. This photo above also unambiguously shows the upside-down orientation of the tugra on this badge. Zoomed, this photo clearly shows the three tuğ pointed downward, the beyze is on the right instead of on the left, hançer is on the left rather than the right, and the sere is apparent at the top of the tugra instead of at its base.

large.755611028_20unkBritishMuseumsilverbadgetugra.jpg.7de34fe2450c24948b369f4038486e2e.jpg

High-resolution image of the inferior margin of an unmarked silver badge from the collection in the Department of Coins and Medals of the British Museum (https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_2009-4007-754). The museum’s Registration number of this badge is: 2009,4007.754. Its Asset Number, for non-commercial research use, is: 748897001 (This image is copyrighted by ©The Trustees of the British Museum). Although the resolution of the photo does not provide significant detail, it is evident that the tugra on this badge’s Order of Medjidie element is in the correct orientation. Zoomed, at least one tuğ is visible at the top of the tugra, the beyze is on the left, and the hançer is seen on the right. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Here is the illustration and catalog information of the Mixed Courts badge listed in the Tammann Collection auction catalog that drclaw referenced in his post that discussed the identification of the silver Mixed Courts badge he illustrated in his initial post of 9 May, 2011 that started a topic titled: “Egypt, Khedivate – Judge’s Badge of Office”, here in the “Middle East & Arab States” section of GMIC. 

large.1243577009_MixedCourtsbadgeTammanncollection.jpg.99cb366fbc6f1b01850bde70f8c64467.jpg

Moderate-resolution image of a silver & gold District Mixed Courts badge from Plate 7, pg 40 of the UBS auction catalog for the November 2008 sale of the Tammann Collection (Ordern aus Aller Welt: Sammlung Tammann, 80. Auktion, 4.-5. November 2008, Basel. 2008. UBS AG, Gold & Numismatik Basel). The auction description identifies the badge as measuring 118 mm X 88 mm, made of silver, partly gilt, and enamelled. It states that the reverse is marked with the Froment-Meurice manufacturer's mark. No photo of the revere is provided, but what can be seen of the workmanship in this moderate-resolution image is consistent with other Froment-Meurice pieces (including the calligraphy and the correct orientation of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie, (the three  tuğ are just visible at the top of the tugra and it appears that the positions of the beyze and sere appear to be in the correct positions as well, although the detail of them is poor when enlarged). This badge was offered in the original case marked Froment-Meurice, Paris. The calligraphy on the central tablet matches that on other examples I recently classified as exhibiting Group 1 form of the Froment-Meurice inscription. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 1 month later...

large.00003A_.jpg.12ba1f99a73e95b16fb7dc8d91363337.jpg

Above is a higher-resolution image of the same gold and silver District Court badge as shown in the above photo from the Tammann Collection catalogue in my post of 15 September, 2021. This image comes from an archived  listing on Sixdid.com website (https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com/#/en/search?text=Egypt Abbas Hilmi II&modal=true) for the same 3 November, 2008 auction by UBS (Auction 80, Lot 3) that is from the Tammann Collection. The Sixbid.com auction description gives the measurements as 117 mm X 88 mm (I mistakenly wrote "118 mm" as the height listed in the UBS printed catalogue, that also gave 117 mm as the height), and as in the UBS printed catalogue noted above, it states that the badge is made of silver, partly gilt, and enamelled, it is identified as marked Froment-Meurice, and was offered with the original case labelled Froment-Meurice, Paris.  In both the published UBS catalogue and the Sixbid.com archived description, the information identifies a previous action of this badge by Mars & Merkur in Munich from 11 April, 1990. This image can be zoomed for slightly greater detail than shown in the above image in my post of 15 September, 2021. This photograph shows the tugra in better detail than on the above image of the same badge, indicating that it rrpresents the correct orientation of the calligraphy within the Order of Medjidie design element. Other components of the Froment-Meurice design and workmanship also can more clearly be seen in this photograph 

The only other information of note from that the auction listing relates to the claim that only 2 other examples of these badges were known to the Numismatics Department of UBS at the time of this auction, and identifies one as having belonged to George Sherman Batcheller, a former president of "the court" from 1876-1885, and from 1898-1902 (the anniversary volume Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926: Livre d'or Édité sous le Patronage du Conseil de l’Ordre des Avocats á l’Occasion du Cinquantenaire des Tribunaux de la Réforme, par le: Journal des Tribunaux Mixtes. Alexandrie, Egypte, Février 1926, identifies his initial appointment date to the Cairo District Court as 1875, and that he served in Cairo until he was decommissioned in 1885; that volume indicates his 1902 appointment was to the Appeals Court and that he died on 2 July 1908 while serving on the court; he also is listed in the Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 volume as having been awarded the Order of Medjidie 2nd Class in 1884). His judicial badge  is supposed to be in a collection of one of the Smithsonian Institution museums in Washington, DC. I have contacted the museum about this badge, and am hoping to determine whether it is his gold and silver District Court badge or the gold Appeals Court insignia. George Sherman Batcheller served in the U.S. Civil War, ending his military career with the rank of brigadier-general. He was chosen to accompany assassinated president Abraham Lincoln's body from Washington to Illinois.  There is significantly more detailed biographical information available about George Sherman Batcheller's legal and political career, military service, family life, and his extravagant home and mausoleum. I will have more to contribute about Batcheller after I hear back from the Smithsonian Institution.  

Edited by Rusty Greaves

large.21002_412_1.jpg.fa2560a3dc1543c8cf74ae08c5f64d4d.jpg

Above is a high-resolution  image of a silver Mixed Courts badge from a Spink Auction (21002) of 29 July, 2021 (Lot 412) that I have not previously illustrated (https://www.spink.com/lot/21002000412). The auction description gives its dimensions as 115 mm tall x 86 mm wide. The calligraphy of the central tablet matches that on 2 badges offered in previous Spink auctions, and one past eBay auction badge. The tugra shows a correct orientation. I illustrated the tablets of all of those other badges in my first post here of 6 September, 2021 as unmarked with calligraphy that could not be matched to a named atelier. I illustrated the obverse of the other two badges in their entirety (I had not previously illustrated them) in my second post of 6 September, 2021. The workmanship of this badge is similar to that on the 2 other previous Spink offerings and the one eBay badge, illustrated and discussed in my 2 posts of 6 September 2021 and below. These badges all appear to represent the same as-yet-unidentified  maker of Mixed Courts badges. 

The first badge with similar calligraphy is from a 4 December, 2017 auction by Spink & Son, Lot 32, archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10156/lot-63685e70-7557-48b1-aabf-a83200b99d8c), measuring 116 mm x 85 mm, unmarked, but with an unspecified  "pawnbroker's" mark on the reverse. I illustrated the tablet calligraphy on this gold and silver District Court badge as the 24th photo in my post of 6 September, 2021.

The 2nd badge with similar calligraphy is from a 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son (Lot 320), archived on the saleroom.com website (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/spink/catalogue-id-srspi10063/lot-63c1fc39-2c79-499c-af04-a53f010b14ed). Its dimensions were given as 115 mm x 85 mm. The tablet calligraphy of that silver unmarked badge is shown as the 25th photo in my post of 6 September. I used a small, low-resolution image of this same badge tablet as the 26th image in my 6 September post that came from drclaw's initial post of 9 May, 2011 (from a previous auction by Sammler-Cabinet) starting a topic titled: “Egypt, Khedivate – Judge’s Badge of Office”, here in the “Middle East & Arab States” section of GMIC. I also illustrated the full obverse of this silver badge (from the 19 November, 2015 auction by Spink & Son, archived on the saleroom.com website) as the 1st photo in my second post of 6 September, 2021 on this thread.

A 3rd unmarked silver badge with the same calligraphy is shown as the 27th the photo in my 6 September post , and comes from a 6 June, 2018 eBay auction (https://www.ebay.ie/itm/263668261167; no photo currently available). I llustrated the obverse of this badge as the 2nd photo in my second post of 6 September, 2021 on this thread.

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 2 weeks later...

large.1230939589_engravingofmanMixedCourtsregalia.jpg.f7e1ef1383f3a8f3ffecb81d4db5f6a4.jpg

I found this engraving of a man wearing a sash and badge of Egyptian Mixed Courts, along with the stamboulin coat and tarboosh. The clothing suggests this individual may have been a Mixed Courts judge rather than one of the other officials who also wore the sash and badge. However, there is a suggestion in the engraving that this may be a bi-colored sash (that might suggest a role either with the Parquet or in a non-judicial role for this individual). Although the details of the neck badge and breast star he is wearing are not completely clear, they appear to resemble the Tunisian Order of Glory (Nishan Iftikhar). I am unfamiliar with this Order, so any corrections to my suggestion by more knowledgeable individuals here on GMIC are much appreciated. This image came from a Pinterest site by Mohamed Elhabiby (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/770889661211491510/). The same image also was posted to a set of Pinterest images by Peter Miller (with the same URL). A possible source is attached to the image (ia0164.us.archive.org), however this does not pull up any source for this image. I apologize for my ignorance fo Arabic to be able to read the inscription. I doubt any online translations I tried provide any useful information ("Mr. Sa'Adab"). The man appears likely to be Egyptian. I have checked the 50th anniversary volume in the Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 and not found any clear match. One noticeable aspect in the photographs in that book is that beards generally become much less common after 1880-1890 among judges and officials of the Mixed Courts. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 4 weeks later...

Over the American Thanksgiving holiday I had chance to take a few better pictures of the Pierre Crabitès judicial badge. I posted the first photos I took of this badge on 2 December, 2019 in this thread, but they were taken with a borrowed camera and were not as high-resolution as those I am including in this post.

large.92498870_Crabites2021best.jpg.fa95d140e43d349d906cc8697e541095.jpg 

This image of the obverse of the Crabitès badge can be zoomed for greater detail. As noted elsewhere in this thread, this is a gold and silver District Court badge for Judge Crabitès during his time on the bench of the Cairo Court from 1911-1936. This badge was made by Rudolf Stobbe of Alexandria. Although the reverse does not have a maker's mark, it is in a case marked Rudolf Stobbe (see the 1st and 5th photos in my 2 December, 2019 post). 

large.1857469757_Crabites2021reverse.jpg.d94cf819ade07164ac69dc004d63c337.jpg

Reverse of the Crabitès badge showing the engraving of his name and the date of his appointment to the Cairo District Mixed Court (19 June, 1911).

large.629008779_Crabites2021reverseinscription.jpg.18d0c13709cd9f0863abed1cce486c6d.jpg

Cropped enlargement of the inscription on the reverse of the Crabitès badge. As noted in my 2 December, 2019 post, the Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926: Livre d'or Édité sous le Patronage du Conseil de l’Ordre des Avocats á l’Occasion du Cinquantenaire des Tribunaux de la Réforme, par le: Journal des Tribunaux Mixtes. Alexandrie, Egypte, Février 1926 volume identifies the date when Crabitès was named to the Cairo court as 8 June, 1911 in the Appendix I listing on page xi of judges on the "Tribunaux de Première Instance" from the United States. Apparently, there was conflict between the US government and Great Britain over Crabitès nomination by US President William H. Taft to the Egyptian government that apparently was only resolved by the 19 June, 1911 date (US State Department Document 883.05/49: From Peter A. Jay, Agent and Consul-General in Cairo, to the Secretary of State in Washington D.C. 20 June 1911).

large.575889886_Crabites2021tabletinscriptionbest.jpg.34b62b41bdee425d1fc37f7409fec9c5.jpg

Cropped detail of the calligraphy on the central tablet inscription of the Crabitès Stobbe-made badge. This is a higher-resolution image of the calligraphy on the Crabitès badge than shown in the 13th photo of my post of 6 September, 2021 on this thread, comparing differences in the calligraphy by four identified makers of these badges (and at least 4 currently unidentified manufacturers of the Mixed Courts badges). 

large.1174616036_Crabites2021tughra.jpg.8187fb9c8b2fdb4fe4f877003b26d8de.jpg

Close-up image of the Order of Medjidie element on the obverse showing the upside-down orientation of the tugra that is seen on all Stobbe manufactured badges. This image can be zoomed to see better the tuğ elements oriented downwards, the beyze on the right rather than left, and the hançer on the left instead of the right. I previously illustrated this element of the Crabitès badge as the 13th image in my post of 7 September, 2021 discussing and illustrating different manufacturers' orientation of the tugra. However, that image doesn't provide as much detail as the above higher-resolution photo of the inferior margin of this badge.

Edited by Rusty Greaves

large.1105672154_IndigenousCourtoffcial.jpg.83e322871b6def381d729448734ebdee.jpg

Portrait photo of an young Egyptian official of the Indigenous Egyptian Courts, from a current eBay auction (https://www.ebay.com/itm/313742114590?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649). The auction description identifies this as an original photographic print measuring 14 cm x 9 cm, and the impressed studio mark is  apparently that of Badr. This official wears a long western-style jacket rather than the stamboulin coat, a white vest, white tie, and wing collar, along with his tarboosh. This form of costume is also seen on other photos of officials in the Indigenous Courts (see the 1st, 2nd, 11th, 12th, and 17th photos in my post of 6 April, 2020 on this thread), but is less commonly seen on portraits of officials of the Mixed Courts (however see two images of the Greffier Adib Maakad Bey shown as the 15th and 17th photos in my post of 6 September, 2019 on this thread wearing this same clothing). Some other group portraits may show this costume, however this individual's outfit, bicolored sash (green & red), and crescent with a single star is identical to the Indigenous Court official shown in the 17th photo of that 6 April post. 

large.1051342526_Egyptinlawyer.jpg.697e1b3e8eb899e4dbf0514f93fa3b53.jpg

The above portrait photo shows an Egyptian lawyer from a current eBay auction listing (https://www.ebay.com/itm/275040366929). The auction description identifies this an as original print, probably measuring 12 cm x 17 cm. This is likely a graduation portrait. The lawyer does not wear a sash nor insignia indicating assignment to either the Indigenous or Mixed Courts, but shows the form of the gown, rabat (scarf), beretta (cap), and épitoge (a French form of the academic hood used in British academic costume) as seen in other images of Egyptian lawyers (especially the 14th, 16th, 17th, and 29th images in my post of 21 August 2019 on this thread) used in the Mixed Courts. The costume of the lawyer shown in that 29th photo of my 21 August post is essentially identical to the regalia shown above. The above photo does show some elements of the Egyptian avocats costume in better detail than several other images I have previously illustrated on this thread. 

large.728366875_EgyptianLawyerPhotAlbanembossing.jpg.028dfd28e0e98ea83babcbe0ed4f95e4.jpg

Close-up cropped image of the embossed studio name in the lower right corner of this portrait (cropped from a separate image in the same eBay listing), identifying the photographic studio as Alban of Alexandria, located at 13 rue Fouad. The eBay seller states that this was an Armenian-owned photo studio (not uncommon among photographic studios from this period in Cairo and Alexandria), and many of the photos I have included in this thread are the work of this apparently prolific studio in Alexandria. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 2 weeks later...

Rusty,

Your 3 November image is of Mr. (Al Saeed) Saleh Magdi Beg (Bek) - the last word being an honorific title.

The order is indeed the Tunisian Order of Glory - the central inscriptions are illegible but may be that of Ali who ruled 1882-1902.

Owain

Owain, 

Thank you for your generous help providing the translation of the name on the engraving in the 3 November post. Your identification of the Tunisian Order of Glory (Nishan Iftikhar), and especially the possible date range of 1882-1902, is also quite useful. Both of these bits of information may have helped me identify this individual. However, there is a problematic death date associated with the more detailed information I have encountered. 

The 1926 Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926: Livre d'or Édité sous le Patronage du Conseil de l’Ordre des Avocats á l’Occasion du Cinquantenaire des Tribunaux de la Réforme, par le: Journal des Tribunaux Mixtes. Alexandrie, Egypte, Février 1926 anniversary volume identifies only 2 individuals with the surname Magdi. This publication normally has a reliably thorough roster of the Mixed Courts' personnel from 1875-January 1926. Although entries for European judges sometimes list awards made to foreign judges, there does not appear to be a systematic inclusion of honors to Egyptian judges (other than the identification of Bey). I cannot use this reference to confirm the honor of the Tunisian Order of Glory in narrowing which individual may be represented in this portrait I first encountered on Pinterest. No photographs of these two individuals with the surname Magdi are included in any of the plates from this 1926 anniversary publication. 

1) In the appendix section with a roster of Egyptian Judges who have served on the District Courts (Alexandria, Cairo, and Mansourah), there is an entry for Saad Magdi (the 1926 Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 anniversary volume, pg. XVII), listing him as a former Chef du Bureau de Traduction au Ministres des Traveaux Publics (Head of the Translation Bureau to the Ministers of Public Works), named as a judge to the District Court of Alexandria on 16 February, 1882. Judge Magdi retired on 1 June, 1898. Saad Magdi is identified in this listing as having the honorific Moutemaïz. I do not know anything about this title other than it's appearance in a biography of another Egyptian individual who was a Royal Advisor and held the civil ranks of Sanieh, Moutemaïz, and Bey. 

2) The appendix listing in the 1926 Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 anniversary volume of Egyptian Substitutes for the Parquet (the office of the Procureur-General, the prosecutor's office) includes Mohamed Magdi Bey on page XXIV. He was named as Substitute-Assistant to the Parquet on 13 December, 1881. He was called to other duties on 19 January, 1884. 

My strong suspicion is that the illustration in my 3 November post depicts Judge Saad Magdi. The similarity in name, the longer service on the court than Mohamed Magdi Bey, and the greater prominence of Judge Magdi's court role compared with the Substitue-Assistant to the Parquet seems to argue in favor of his being the subject of an engraved portrait. However, below I detail some additional online information that problematically identifies the death date for Saleh Magdi Bey as 1881, prior to his listed appointment to the Alexandria District Court in 1882. I thought there might be a suggestion that the sash worn by the individual illustrated in the 3 November portrait might be bicolored. That would be appropriate for the Parquet or other court officials on the Appeals and District Courts, but the District Court judges' sashes were solid red. Owain, your identification of a probable date range indicated by the Bey's signature in the medallion on the 2nd Class Grand Officer Tunisian Order of Glory encompasses the period when both Judge Saad Magdi and Mohamed Magdi Bey worked on the Courts. As I noted in the 3 November post, photographs from this period just before the beginning of the 20th century also show a greater number of judges and officials wearing beards, compared with the trend after the turn of the century when mustaches had almost entirely replaced beards among the Egyptian court personnel. 

My previous Google Images search of the 3 November portrait of Saleh Magdi Bey did not bring up any additional information, but today my search did identfiy one website using a much lower-resolution version of this engraving. A biography of Saleh Magdy Bey is provided on an Arabic language website (https://www.aldiwan.net/poem94219.html). It gives his full name as: Muhammad bin Saleh bin Ahmed bin Muhammad bin Ali bin Ahmed bin Sharif Majd Al-Din. He is identified as a researcher, translator, poet, and had a career in the judiciary. The aldiwan.net website also includes at least 8 poems from his Diwan (collection) of poetry. The machine translation of the website makes a number of awkward statements about his origins that are difficult for me to evaluate with my handicap of not reading Arabic. Saleh Magdi Bey may have come from an Egyptian family living in Mecca. His grandfather is identified as the noble Majd al-Din, who may have moved to Egypt from Mecca (?). Saleh Magdi may have been born in Abu Rajwan, approximately 20 miles south of Cairo. The aldiwan.net website states that he was educated in Helwan and then at Al-Alsun School in Cairo, had a miltary upbringing, and studied English in 1869. He translated many books from French, and was appointed by Khedive Ismail to translate the French laws known as the Code Napoleon into Arabic. These were the basis of the international Tribunal's form of law applied in cases involving foreigners and Egyptian Nationals at the Mixed Courts. Presumably, this would have been around the time of the initial formation of the Mixed Court system that replaced the use of Consular Courts for such cases in 1875. Two additional websites provided a very small amount of information when I searched under "Saleh Magdi Bey poet", and also  included this same portrait of him. Wikimedia (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Salah_Magdy_Bey_(1826_-_1881),_19th_century_Egyptian_poet.jpg) and Alamy (https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-salah-magdy-bey-1826-1881-19th-century-egyptian-poet-171881312.html) both identify the image I posted on 3 November as the poet "Salah Magdy Bey", with no mention of his appointment to the Mixed Courts. Wikimedia does identify his profession as translator. Both of those sites give alleged dates for his birth and death as 1826-1881, although this death date contradicts the 1926 Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 anniversary volume's indication that Saad Magdi served on the District Court of Alexandria from 1881-1898. The aldiwan.net website states that he died in Cairo. 

An Arabic language Wikipedia site (https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/صالح_مجدي_بك) that I found though a search combining the name Saleh Magdi Bey and "poet" as search terms includes a low-resolution version of the same portrait I posted on 3 November, and provides addition biographical information. It also identifies his birth year as 1826. This site states that he wrote books on landscape drawing, geology, mechanics, arithmetic, algebra, geometry, astronomy, and martial arts (fort construction & hand-thrown bombs). The biography continues to describe his work translating the Code Napoleon that he received several appointment from Khedive Ismail, and his final position on the judiciary (but identified as Cairo) is mentioned as well. This article says that he remained in that position until his death. This Arabic language Wikipedia article provides the reference for his Diwan of poetry as: Diwan Saleh Magdy, Bulaq Press, Cairo 1312 AH / 1894 AD (compiled by his son and printed after his death, but note the date of 1311 AH in the image of the title page below). The article states that he died 1298 AH (1881 AD), after suffering from an incurable disease, recorded in one of his last poems. Three references about Saleh Magdi Bey are cited in this article. 

The use of the same portrait showing him in the garb of a Mixed Court judge, his role in the translation of the Code Napoleon, the mention of his work in the judiciary all seem to support the identification of Saleh Magdi Bey with the listing of "Saad Magdi" in the Les Juridictions Mixtes d'Égypte 1876-1926 anniversary volume. Despite the Wikimedia, Alamy, and the Arabic Wikipedia repetitions of a death date of 1881, this still appears to be the most probable correlation with the Mixed Courts anniversary publication. However, I do not know how to reconcile this alleged date of death, contrasting with the statement that Judge Saleh Magdi retired in 1898 in the 1926 appendix listing of Saad Magdi as a judge of the Alexandria Mixed Court. I am unsure whether this problem with a death date for Saleh Magdi Bey is yet another example of the legion of errors that plague the internet or a potential problem in the research used in preparing information about an individual who was a part of the court 45 years before the 1926 anniversary volume. 

large.Cover_page_of_the_poetry_divan_of_Saleh_Magdy_Bey.jpg.7e96c6fa3b013569fd8e9bc590f90653.jpg

Low-resolution image of the cover page of the Diwan of the late Mr. Saleh Magdi Bey. First Edition. Princely Press, Bolaq, 1311 AH ( ديوان المرحوم السيد صالح مجدي بك. الطبعة الأولى، المطبعة الأميرية ببولاق سنة 1311) from the Arabic language Wikipedia site noted above (https://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/صالح_مجدي_بك#/media/ملف:Cover_page_of_the_poetry_divan_of_Saleh_Magdy_Bey.jpg). The citation is slightly different than that in the text of the article. The title page has the date 1311 AH, 1893 AD, rather than the 1312 AH (1894 AD) noted in the text of this Wikipedia biography. 

Cheers, Rusty

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Rusty,

I suspect the name Saleh Magdi is not an uncommon one.....

The naming under the image is definitely not Saad.

Of course the Order of Glory could be from the previous reign of Mohammed Sadok, 1859-82 - it was during his reign that the Order of Glory took the format shown in the picture of Saleh Magdi Bey.

Research continues.......

Owain

• 1 month later...

I recently found a few photographs of some of the collections of orders, medals, and other regalia at Abdeen Palace in Cairo on the FOURSQUARE CITY GUIDES (foursquare.com). One of the images (added on 30 January, 2020 by Abdulrahman) is of a Mixed Courts badge that is displayed alongside many Chamberlains' pins.

large.2073534018_MixedCourtsbadgeAbdeenPalace.jpg.b9ab3be260e9bbb429b9f2338498f50c.jpg

Above is a moderate-resolution image of the Mixed Courts badge displayed at Abdeen Palace from the foursquare.com website (https://foursquare.com/v/abdeen-palace--قصر-عابدين/4f169cc8e4b0044a28561a2a?openPhotoId=5e32a2cb8ab81c00084283ee). I have seen a few other lower resolution photos showing this particular badge with the adjacent Chamberlains' pins, or as an artistic partial image of this badge (i.e. see Owain's 2nd and 5th images in his post of 29 March, 2019, on the thread "Question about the Order of Ismail/Nishan al-Ismail" started on 8 November, 2017 here in the "Middle East & Arab States" section. I believe this may be the only example of this badge on display at the Palace. It appears to be silver, although there might be some very worn gilt portions of the rayed embellishment (especially above the mantle and possibly at the most inferior margin of the mantle fringe), some parts of the rays around the star above the central tablet, and maybe some of the lower right mantle fringe(?), suggesting it might be a heavily worn District Courts silver and gold judge's badge. The discoloration could simply be tarnish, so that this represents either a silver Parquet badge or one worn by the other court officials entitled to wear this insignia. There is slight damage to the enamel of the lower siin of the central tablet inscription (and possibly some damage to the upper siin character as well). The form of the calligraphy most closely matches the Froment-Meurice Group 2 tablet inscriptions I illustrated in my post of 6 September, 2021 on this thread. The calligraphy resembles that of the Clark Auction Gallery Lot 0235 example, shown in a low-resolution image as the 9th photo in my 6 September, 2021 post. The thickness of the straight diacritical mark on the lower right of the tablet and the tight curve of the stroke on the lower left under the “bird” diacritical mark match this Abdeen Palace badge’s calligraphy more closely than some of the other examples I have classed as Group 2 of the Froment-Meurice calligraphy (there are some discrepancies, but I do not know if these could be variation due to enamel application or if they may represent actual die differences). The 25 July, 2015 Clark Auction Gallery listing for Lot 0235 clearly shows the Froment-Meurice maker's name on the reverse of that badge and it was offered in a Froment-Meurice case. I am troubled by an inability to determine whether the tugra is oriented in the correct position (as on all Froment-Meurice examples where I am able to distinguish the orientation of this design element) or upside down (as seen on other identified and unidentified manufactures examples of this badge). All of the other design elements are consistent with Froment-Meurice workmanship, although the photo is not detailed enough for good comparisons whith other examples.

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 2 weeks later...

I came across an unusual example of a probable Mixed Courts badge. This piece appears to address a previous question about the authenticity of another exceptionally atypical badge that I originally dismissed as an ornamental mock badge, not an official Mixed Courts badge. This second example suggests to me the possibility that a manufacturer created contemporary, but likely inexpensive, cast versions of this insignia that may well have been used by some judges on the Mixed Courts. 

I initially found these images on a Facebook post of 5 January, 2021 by Robert Egeric on the Facebook page “ARABIC MEDALS & MILITARIA اوسمة ونياشين عربية عسكرية (https://www.facebook.com/groups/434957140007223/). The illustrations show the watermark for Northstar Militaria. The four photos from his Facebook posting show a gold & silver judge's badge in a case. Most interestingly, one of the images shows the name of the presumed maker of this badge on the inside of the upper case lid, and the name is one I have not encountered before as a manufacturer of Mixed Courts badges. Searching for these images on Northstar Militaria eventually led me to 17 photos showing this badge and its case. The following photos in this post are from the website of this Swedish phalersitics dealer site: Northstar Militaria (http://www.northstarmilitaria.com/product/judicial-badge/#). 

The listing of this Mixed Court badge (SKU 0025) likely predates the 5 January Facebook posting by Robert Egeric, who is noted to have previously worked for Northstar Miliaria (according to his Facebook page). Other than the very modest listed price (compared with most recent auction price data for other Mixed Courts badges) of 1200 kr, (~US $132/~ €115, at current exchange rates) there is absolutely no information about this badge on the website, but there are 17 good-resolution images of this badge and its associated case. The badge appears to be silver and gold, although no materials are identified in the listing. There is no maker’s mark on the reverse, and the detailed photos show no evidence of any Egyptian silver hallmarks. The name on this inside upper lid of the case reads: “UNION DES GRAVEURS; D. IALANOS, A. DE LEO &. A. KASSANDRINOS; 5. RUE DE L’EGLISE COPTE; ALEXANDRIE (Egypte)”. I have not previously encountered the name of this business, and so far have not found any additional information, advertisements, or examples of work from this atelier. The workmanship is significantly less detailed than that of any other badge I have seen, even that of the one example I have found and illustrated here on GMIC that was made by Zivy Fréres & Cie. of Alexandria. However, the detailed images on the Northstar Militaria site appear to show that this piece was cast rather than struck (even the Zivy Fréres & Cie appears to have been struck). The rayed embellishment may be struck, but the photos of the mantle element appear to show this piece is cast. I am unsure about the central tablet with the inscription. The cut-out in the medal bed for the tunic pin indicates this is almost certainly the original case, suggesting an appropriate association of the case and badge. The calligraphy on the central tablet of this badge is unique in its configuration of the diacritical marks compared with all of the other inscriptions I have looked at for the other four identified manufactures of this badge and the four currently unidentified makers (summarized my post of 6 September, 2021 on this thread). However, the calligraphy exactly matches that on a very odd version of this badge that I previously dismissed as an unofficial and possible jewelry-version based on the official badge design (from a June 2019 auction by Lugdunum GmbH, Auction 16, Lot 289). The tablet on that badge with the same calligraphy as the Northstar Militaria badge is shown as the 5th-to-last image in my 6 September, 2021 post, in the section I titled "Odd non-official badges". My assessment was based on the much less-detailed nature of the execution of the badge design, its material, and the appearance that it was cast rather than being struck. The 2019 Lugdunum GmbH badge is made of bronze, a material that was not employed officially for any of these Mixed Courts badges. I previously illustrated the obverse and reverse of this unusual piece (listed in a June 2019 auction by Lugdunum GmbH, Auction 16, Lot 289, and formerly archived on the CoinArchives.com website) as the last 2 photos in my post of 14 August, 2019 on this thread. I have illustrated this badge again as the last 2 photos in this post for comparison. 

large.1899250505_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria1.jpg.52fdf54f756ece5630edbfc2dbcaf413.jpg

Low-resolution photo of the Northstar Militaria badge in its case. The inscription on the inner lid is unclear in this image but can be seen in the 17th below photo in this post. This and the other 16 photos of this badge and case are from: http://www.northstarmilitaria.com/product/judicial-badge/#

large.425729772_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria2B.jpg.f04aa1a5caf3ae4efacd8dbecbee32f1.jpg

Moderately high-resolution image of the obverse of the Northstar Militaria silver and gold District Courts badge.This image can be zoomed for some additional details and comparison with the Lugdunum auction badge. A description of the significant detail contrasts in the design elements of this cast badge are discussed in my previous post of 14 August, 2019 on this thread, identifying the same differences in execution exhibited by this badge as seen on the Lugdunum GmbH, Auction 16, Lot 289 example compared with all other struck examples of these Mixed Courts badges. The 2nd-to-last photo in this post shows the obverse of the 2019 Lugundunum for comparison. The single bronze color of that badge more clearly shows the lower detailing of the cast elements of this manufacturer's versions of the Mixed Court badge design than in the silver and gold image above. 

large.116909360_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria3.jpg.9a7ebbb64fcb81ef00c206dac2c88329.jpg

High-resolution oblique image of the obverse of the Northstar Militaria District courts badge. The probability that this badge is cast can be seen well in the form of the design elements of the mantle component in this view. 

large.764604894_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria8.jpg.d0a50ea86f9630970213d5c25b38af2b.jpg

High-resolution oblique photo of the most superior crown element of this same Mixed Distict Courts badge.

large.1199988531_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria9.jpg.07276fe779d03ee4abc46baf61f84ea3.jpg

Another detailed high-resolution image of the superior portion of the design elements of this badge. Note especially the uniquely course and wide grooves of the rays around the star above the central inscribed tablet.

large.822951575_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria7.jpg.01bc09e3029e2f8cd3826b020411dddf.jpg

High-resolution photo of the central tablet and adjacent portions  of the Northstar Militaria badge, showing the appearance that this badge is cast in the form of the laurel leaves on the right. 

large.2123374017_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria6.jpg.be6b936720d7a82faf5ef5ca77f7fb30.jpg

High-resolution photo of the inferior central portion of this badge. This image shows that the tugra in the center of the Order of Medjidie is oriented correctly, although it is not very detailed. The flat sides of the laurel and oak leaves, proximal ends of the shafts of the tugs below the central tablet, and the branches of the proximal laurel and oak branch stems appear cast. The view of the stipple-textured mantle, the appearance of the Order of Medjidie (especially the lowermost portion), and the ermine tails all strongly suggest that at least the mantle element of the badge is cast. 

large.562444818_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria4.jpg.84991690741e669a1c7173589e4f8b53.jpg

Image of the reverse of the Northstar Militaria silver and gold District Courts badge. There are no maker’s marks nor any Egyptian hallmarks on the reverse. Also note the form of the rivets that are unlike those on all other badges except those on the Lugdunum GmbH Lot 289 example. 

large.1491569094_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria5.jpg.1a85af66e487672d65d6506204e6c4c2.jpg

Oblique view of the reverse of this same badge. Although the foreground is unfocused, it shows that the mark on the lower longer ray to the viewer’s left of the pin catch is not any form of maker’s mark or Egyptian hallmark. 

large.1609023645_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria10.jpg.e4a3b7be43c9746d5bad47c77c9ebe6b.jpg

High-resolution close-up photo of the hinge portion of the tunic pin on this same badge. 

large.1944447143_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria11.jpg.631cf5ec29021709e84add29b94a29ef.jpg

High-resolution close-up image of the catch of the tunic pin on the Northstar Militaria District Court badge. Note details of the rivets visible in this image. 

large.375635067_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria13.jpg.4f1f18e44ebb16e05e160fb801a5e2a8.jpg

Photo of the closed upper case lid for this same Northstar Militaria badge showing the mock lizard texture of the paper case cover. 

large.999444634_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria12.jpg.92c2f3f9b3af64ba2e0581921f0fbb80.jpg

Image of the opened case showing the cut-out for the tunic pin and some of the detail of the catch for the case. 

large.851281844_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria14.jpg.bb9f7c1d429eb930985e60912a32fdb5.jpg

High-resolution close-up of the cut-out for the hinge of the tunic pin in the medal bed of the case. 

large.1181014668_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria16.jpg.35303c34d22557e1b559adc2dd7beaa6.jpg

High-resolution close-up of the release catch button on the exterior of the case, also detailing the mock-lizard texture of the maroon paper covering of the case. 

large.1283239774_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria17.jpg.c2b5434f81e5d743fd1c58ed4aa3ad12.jpg

High-resolution close-up detailing the catch release tongue on the inside of the case. 

large.1932148409_Judicialbadge-NorthStarMilitaria15.jpg.adf16975ed47dd12f36e85e323a79f5c.jpg

High-resolution close-up of the upper interior case lid showing the manufacturer’s name printed on the satin lining: 

"UNION DES GRAVEURS; D. IALANOS, A. DE LEO &. A. KASSANDRINOS; 5. RUE DE L’EGLISE COPTE; ALEXANDRIE (Egypte)”

large.662485586_Coinarchivesbronzejudgesbadgeobv8_2019copy.jpg.96f326dbca44c345e6963501f2e9052f.jpg

Image of the obverse of the unusual bronze badge from a June 2019 auction by Lugdunum GmbH, Auction 16, Lot 289, and formerly archived on the CoinArchives.com website (https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=3972879&AucID=4100&Lot=289&Val=efc6a2fa2700e6a994f8217cb7d28a9c, no longer on that website). However, it is still archived on the NumisBids website (https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=3270&lot=289). I originally thought the coarser detail in the design execution, the evident casting of this piece, and especially its manufacture in bronze suggested it was not an actual Mixed Courts badge but a piece of jewelry inspired by these badges (see the pin from a  December, 2018 auction by Bamfords Auctioneers & Valuers listing, Lot 3620A, that is very loosely adapted from the design of the Mixed Courts badges and clearly is not an official badge, that I illustrated and discussed in my post of 2 December, 2018 on this thread). Note the identical calligraphy on the enameled central tablet inscription to that on the Northstar Militaria example. The comparably more coarse details in the cast execution of the design elements are more readily apparent in the single bronze color of this example and are identical to those on the frontal view of the silver and gold Northstar Militaria badge.  

large.1233154660_Coinarchivesbronzejudgesbadgerev8_2019copy.jpg.a2972a0ec27adc7ffa580cd34da49821.jpg

Photo of the reverse of the Lugdunum Lot 289 bronze badge showing the engraved initials and the lack of any manufacturer’s mark or other hallmarks. The hinge and catch design are the same as on the Northstar Military example, however the breadth of the tunic pin is quite different from that example as well as all other Mixed Courts badges. Could this be a later replacement pin? 

The two above Illustrations of the obverse and reverse of the unusual badge come from a June 2019 auction by Lugdunum GmbH, Auction 16, Lot 289, that were archived on the CoinArchives.com website (https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer.php?LotID=3972879&AucID=4100&Lot=289&Val=efc6a2fa2700e6a994f8217cb7d28a9c) and is still archived on the NumisBids.com website https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=3270&lot=289). The description of this badge identifies the material as bronze and gives measurements that are identical to those of all authentic badges (85 mm wide x 115 mm high, and weighing 196.22 g). The description identifies this badge as from Alexandria, which I dismissed in my original description of the badge in the 14 August post. A case was associated with this badge, but it was not illustrated, nor was there any descriptive identification of the maker. If it is the same maker as the Northstar Militaria case name (most likely given the identical workmanship), that would explain the association with Alexandria. A date of 1892 was identified for the badge, but I have no knowledge why that was stated in the description. This same June 2019 Lugdnum auction also included a clearly authentic silver example of a Mixed Courts badge (Auction 16, Lot 288). I illustrated and described that silver badge made by Froment-Meurice in my 14 August, 2019 post on this thread (it is still archived on the NumisBids website: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=3270&lot=288). The 1st photo in that post shows the obverse of this silver badge, and the 2nd image shows the reverse, marked “FROMENT-MEURICE” and bearing the less commonly seen (on Mixed Courts badges) French diamond mark with the name “FROMENT” over a rose with the name “MEURICE” below the rose (shown as the 3rd image in that 14 August post, and a few other posts on this thread as well). The above unusual bronze badge is shown as the 4th photo (obverse) and 5th photo (reverse) of that 14 August, 2019 post. As noted there, the reverse bears the inscribed initials "A." followed by either "I." or "J.", "S.", "T.", or possibly "G.", that are likely the initials of its owner. As with the Northstar Militaria example, there is no manufacturer’s mark on the reverse nor any of the 3 Egyptian assay, material (inappropriate on the Lugdunum example as there was no assay control nor mark for the Egyptian manufacture of bronze jewelry), or date hallmarks. The fastening rivets of this Lugdunum example are also identical to those on the Northstar Militaria piece, that are different than those seen on all other Mixed Courts badges.  

My original assessment of the Lugdunum GmbH piece as a mock-badge and probably a piece of jewelry is likely wrong, based on this comparable Northstar Militaria example in the silver and gold scheme of a District Courts badge. These two cast pieces may represent more economical versions of the Mixed Court badges, suggesting judges and court officials had to buy their own court regalia. Perhaps if the Northstar Militaria example was genuinely used as an inexpensive version of a Mixed District Courts badge in silver and gold (but why are no assay, Egyptian made-silver, or date hallmarks are present if this really is silver and gilt?), then the bronze material of the Lugdunum badge might have been a substitute for the gold of the Appeals Court judicial badges (not worn by any other court officials, who wore silver badges). The presence of two examples of the cast badge, one in bronze that may imitate the color of a gold Appeals Court judges’ badges, and the other in the silver and gold pattern of District Courts judges badges, are a bit surprising if my inference about economy is the reason for such lower-quality versions of these insignia. Jasper Yeates Brinton in his book The Mixed Courts of Egypt, 1931 Yale University Press, New Haven, provides information on salaries of Mixed Courts’ officials. He states that the compensation was quite generous by contemporary standards, for both Egyptian nationals and foreigners (pp. 83-86). Economic need may not have driven the market response in producing such a potentially less expensively-crafted cast insignia. Although that could have been a concern for individual officials, the fact that D. Ialanos, A. de Leo, & A. Kassandrinos appears to have manufactured at least Appeals Court and District Courts judges’ badges (I have not yet seen any such cast silver badges, and many more officials wore these regalia, as also evidenced in the greater number of silver badges that appear on the current auction market) suggests a demand among some of the relatively large number of judges for what must have been less expensive badges than the struck versions made by Froment-Meurice, Stobbe, Horovitz, at least four other currently unidentified manufactures, and the least detailed Zivy Fréres & Cie. pieces. Whether such demand was due to personal economic need or less interest by some judges for expensive insignia of their office cannot be resolved probably without contemporary letter or journal references to reasons for such frugality.  

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 2 months later...

I was surprised to find a second example of an unusual full-sized, odd piece of jewelry based on the design of the Mixed Courts badges. The appearance of this additional example puzzles me even more than the existence of a single strange adaptation of the Mixed Courts badge design. I have previously illustrated the other example I have encountered of such a "mock-badge" from a 5 December, 2018 auction by Bamfords Auctioneers & Valuers, Lot 3620A (https://auctions.bamfords-auctions.co.uk/catalogue/lot/1672cda7783734d000495e169152f06c/e4ebea155a08e205e5ea6a89010099d0/two-day-gentleman-s-library-stamps-grand-tour-curio-lot-3620a/) in my post of 2 December, 2018 on this thread. The current example I have found is identical (except for some details in the enamel execution and loss of some of that enamel) to that very odd Bamford's piece and comes from a 24 October, 2021 auction (Auction 20, Lot 16) by the Turkish firm Arthill Museology & Collecting JWL (Arthill Müzecilik Koleksiyonculuk KYM) (https://www.arthill.com.tr/en/product/4095822/hidiv-19-yuzyil-altin-vermeyli-bronz-mineli-adalet-nisani-19-yuzyil-sultan-abdu). The auction description provides only a small amount of information. This Arthill Group piece is identified as made of bronze, with enamel, and allegedly some gold inlay. I do not know if the rayed embellishment may be gilt. The Bamfords badge is identified as made of silver, and has Egyptian silver hallmarks on the reverse. The dimensions of the Arthill Group badge are given as 11.5 cm tall x 8.5 cm wide, the approximate same size as the actual court insignia. Obviously, the design of this piece is a much abbreviated interpretation of the design of the official court regalia (as discussed in my 2 December 2018 post) and is probably cast. The two examples of these odd badges are even less-detailed and incomplete in replicating the badge design elements than the two badges I illustrated in my previous post here of 3 February, 2022 made by  D. Ialanos, A. de E Leo &. A. Kassandrinos, of Alexandria. Those two D. Ialanos, A. de Leo, & A Kassandrinios-made badges probably were genuine Mixed Courts' regalia, possibly more economic alternatives to struck pieces by other makers. The design elements on the Arthill and Bamford's badges are far too reduced in detail to represent badges that fulfill the dignified appearance these distinctive emblems of the court officials create as part of the judicial or other court officials' costume. However, while the appearance of the single Bamfords example initially appeared to me as a jewelry knock-off by Horovitz, the presence of this second example makes inferences about the potential use of this more complex. The fact that both such examples were made by Wolf Horovitz (a maker of more detailed Mixed Court badges), and possibly were made in both bronze (Arthill) as well as silver (Bamford's) suggests some more intricate reason Horowitz produced these unusual interpretations of the Mixed Courts badge design. This Arthill Group piece is missing some of the black enamel of the upper portion of the mantle drapery, the cords suspending the tassels at the corners, and possibly in the fringe of some of the lateral folds of the mantle. Some of the enamel in the inscription of the central tablet on this example appears to be missing. The Bamfords’ example of this jewelry version of this badge has black enamel in the upper portion of the mantle drapery, the cords of the tassels, and all of the lateral fringe in the folds of the matle  portions of the badge. The Bamfords piece also has white enamel in the area of the Order of Medjidie that is not present on this piece. There appears to be a difference in the amount of enamel in the crown element. The Bamfords’ example only has black enamel in two areas between the arches of the crown, however all of the crown on the Arthill badge appears to have at least remnant enamel in all portions of the design. The Arthill example may never have had enamel in the fringes of the lateral mantle folds, no remnant fragments of enamel are visible there. As with the Bamford’s example, this piece has the name “HOROVITZ” on the reverse, also identifying the Wolf Horovitz workshop at 26 rue Chérif Pacha in Alexandria. Unlike, the Bamfords’ piece, there are no Egyptian silver hallmarks on the reverse or on the tunic pin (although the lower-resolution photo on the Arthill listing makes it unclear whether a mark is present on the tunic pin or not). 

large.1232639295_9dc31da9ab6f4a6094a3cdbe7e56db4dcropped.jpg.fb5ce63b1e4340c6b54cfa47df6c3289.jpg

Obverse of the Arthill Group Mixed Courts badge-inspired piece made by Wolf Horovitz. This and the other 5 images from the Arthill listing can be zoomed for slightly more detailed views, and to contrast the enamel execution and damage with the Bamfords example shown in the 6th photo below. 

large.fe3dbb2f7b714998a131c79d0e2d8a6b.jpg.99dee37585ea7811d69bec60e071e403.jpg

Reverse of this odd badge with the location of the “HOROVITZ” name visible in the same location as on the December 2018 Bamfords example. No hallmarks are visible on the reverse of this badge (and there are no Egyptian hallmarks for bronze). 

large.bc37c6692ebd46419197bcd800a58938.jpg.03a87c2021a6ecfffb231b9117629a2c.jpg

Oblique view of this Horovitz-made  jewelry/badge from the Arthill auction listing

large.c544d093c33b4af99737bc71feac4d6d.jpg.8e657f8d275ed56fa2d4f81d34f0f579.jpg

Detail of the central tablet, showing several areas where enamel is probably missing. This close-up shows well the outlined suggestion of the leaves on the laurel and oak branches, and tug elements of this part of design around the central tablet, demonstrating the minimally detailed approximation of many design components in the the workmanship of this piece. 

large.dd2e3510f6394936b573ebeec222e779.jpg.fd18605524ecee22f7d433c2fd66a9a2.jpg

Detail of the crown element at the superior margin of this badge. There may be black enamel remnants in more portions of the crown than on the Bamford’s piece with more intact original enamel. 

large.667af543c2bc4b028d26c942f9933315.jpg.5014811c376a123dc67d089819a06bce.jpg

Detail of the "HOROVITZ" name (struck) on the reverse of this badge. Note the casting flaws visible in this close up of the reverse surface of the badge.

large.d7b5598a-5be5-4a86-8136-a9a00123b26b.jpg.a8f0fa361e533f722dcf4f4970845429.jpg.ff7bd42a0b21d3877db17cb0ab371798.jpg

Obverse of the only other example I have seen of this form of jewelry based on the Mixed Courts badge design, from a 5 December, 2018 auction (Auction 20, Lot 3620A) by Bamfords Auctioneers & Valuers. This image can be zoomed for some additional distills in the execution of these odd Horovitz-made badges. This piece was identified as silver in the Bamford's description. The size of this unusual badge is the same as the Arthill Group example (and to all official badges). Note the black enamel only in two portions of the crown between arches, the intact black enamel of the upper portion of the mantle drapery, in the tassel suspension cords, in the fringe of all three folds of the mantle on the left and right lateral sides, the more intact enamel in the tablet inscription, and the white enamel around the Order of Medjidie element. 

large.1407540890_MixedCourtspinreverse.jpg.4060f8e47c0ab971d05bb32c83ac171e.jpg.4c94bef8a3d324240460d551e06f15be.jpg

Reverse of the Bamfords example of this badge, showing the similar location of the "HOROVITZ" name, and also showing the location of 3 silver hallmarks at the inferior part of lower relief area under the pin and the presence of at least 2 Egyptian silver hallmarks on the tunic pin, just proximal of the union of the double tongue with the single pin of the distal portion this tube hinge pin. The flaws from casting also are clearly apparent in this view of the reverse of the Bamfords badge. 

large.s-l1600-2.jpg.739c07677d5ce217a09e89a310848172.jpg.54cd78e602991e9872cb9b755a7a14aa.jpg

Above is the obverse of a cased example of a Wolf Horovitz-made silver Mixed Courts badge from an eBay auction in December of 2018 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPT-KING-FAROUK-SILVER-GILT-ENAMEL-JUDGE-BADGE-IN-ORIGINAL-CASE-XXX-RARE/223228334558?hash=item33f97211de:g:1o0AAOSwBURb6gap, however this link is no longer working). This demonstrates the noormal workmanship and detail in execution of a struck official badge of the Courts' regalia. The name "HOROVITZ" and the 3 Egyptian silver hallmarks are present on the reverse of this badge, including a date hallmark of "N" indicating assay in 1938-39. I previously illustrated and described this badge in my post of 1 December, 2018 on this thread. 

Sold for 125.

Edited by Rusty Greaves

• 1 month later...

Below is an image of a Mixed Courts badge from a May 28, 2020 post on the Facebook page of Charmy Photography (https://www.facebook.com/H.Charmyphotography/photos/pb.100063747398706.-2207520000../1694086190745364/?type=3). This image is copyrighted by Hamdy Charmy. It is too bad that the maker's name on the inside of the case is not shown, this appears to represent a different and currently unidentified manufacturer of these badges. In addition to the 4 unknown makers evident from my examination of the calligraphy of the central tablet inscriptions and orientation of the tugra, there is a good probability the badge illustrated below represents the work of a 5th, as yet unidentified maker of these Mixed Courts badges.

large.100923536_1694086197412030_1112453614074331136_n.jpg.5c0e6b6a390d11de3037bd38b89d510d.jpg

This is a high-resolution image of a Mixed Courts badge in a case with another "judicial medal" resting at the lower left edge of the case that I have never seen before. This image can be zoomed for additional details. There is no information accompanying this image. The medal has a motto above the scales of justice that is what is represented in the stylized calligraphy on the badge inscription tablet meaning "Justice is the Foundation of Kingship/Governance". The calligraphy on this medal is similar to the calligraphic form of this motto written within Egyptian courtrooms and on the front of the Courthouse in downtown Cairo: “العدل أساسالملك”; “aleadl 'asas almalk”. I am a bit uncertain about what what the dates to either side of the scales of justice indicate (am I reading them correctly as 1933 on the left and 1883 on the right?). The dates 1883-1933 are apparently the bracketing dates of the Golden Civil Code, a translation from French into Arabic that established the penal and civil codes used in the Mixed Courts. The 1883 date appears to identify the introduction of the initial translation and codification of the French legal codes for use by the Mixed Courts, but I do not know what the 1933 date refers to. The 2 volumes describing these codes (l-Kitab al-dhahabi lil-mahakim al-ahliyya, 1883-1933 [The Golden Book for the Native Courts, 1883-1933] were published in 1937. I am uncertain why this reference translates this title in relation to the Native Courts, while the article mostly discusses the use of these codes in the Mixed Courts (on page 31 and in note 43 of: Esmeir, Samera, 2015. On the coloniality of modern law, Critical Analysis of Law 2 (1):19-41). I also do not know what is written on either side of the Khedival coat of arms. The green and red ribbon reminds me of the ribbon on the Ottoman Medal of Imtiyaz Medal (Imtiyaz Madalyasi), in gold and silver (I illustrated a couple examples of this medal and portraits showing them worn by Khedive Abbas Hilmi II in my post of 14 November, 2021 on the thread "Egyptian Khedive commemorative medal question" that I stated on 11 November, 2016 here in the "Middle East & Arab States" section). This Mixed Court badge is either silver (used by the Parquet and worn by a number of court officials of the Mixed Courts who were not judges) or it may be a gold and silver badge of District Court judges. It is a bit unclear whether some discoloration is tarnish or gilt ornamentation. The tablet calligraphy does not match any of the examples I illustrated in my post of 6 September, 2021 looking at variation in the execution of this motto. Several of the diacritical marks are unique compared with all other examples as is the sweep of the lower calligraphic stroke on the lower left that is not seen on any other tablet I have found in online photos. The workmanship closely resembles that of Horowitz or Stobbe, but the calligraphy is distinctly different from the few examples I have been able to find of their badges. The tugra on the Order of Medjidie element at the inferior margin of the mantle is oriented upside-down, as noted in my post of 2 September, 2021 discussing the variable orientation of this design element across different makers.  

large.c63f3d3424f293254c6d2b53af083746.png.webp.8429a2409d7be65e6315cf3758ba4215.webp

Low-resolution image of the cover of the 263 page 1st volume (there were 2 volumes) of what is usually called in English: Golden Book of Civil Codes 1883-1933, showing those same dates on the cover that are on the "judicial medal" in the case with the Mixed Courts badge. This comes from the noor-book.com website (https://www.noor-book.com/en/ebook-الكتاب-الذهبي-للمحاكم-الاهليه-1883-1933-م-المجلد-الاول-pdf#google_vignette). The book description on the website (in Arabic) reads: "The Golden Book of Civil Courts 1883-1933 AD. The first part - the Amiri Press in Bulaq -1937. A book that talks about the history of the judiciary in Egypt, which includes the names and pictures of all the chiefs of the courts and lawyers from the beginning of the court during the period 1883-1933 AD." Vol 2 is 356 pages. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Rusty,

The medal is as follows:

Obverse - profile of King Fuad

Reverse - 

Upper - Fiftieth Anniversary of the National Court

Centre - Justice is the Foundation of the Kingdom 

Lower - Year 1883 - Year 1933

It is is a nice medal - seemingly well made - silve. The example I have is in poor condition - purchased in the souk in Riyadh. Whilst it has a loop for suspension it is, I believe, purely a commemorative or souvenir piece. It is not included in the various government orders & medals protocols.

Owain

Egypt Fuad Courts Anniversary Medal Reverse.jpg

Egypt Fuad Courts Anniversary Medal Obverse.jpg

Wow Owain, I'm impressed you could just whip out one of these medals! Thanks for adding this identification and information on the inscription. The best I can figure out regarding the dates 1883-1933 is that the translated French legal codes was complete and implemented in 1883, about a year after the British invasion. The 1933 date just recognizes the 50th anniversary of the implementation of the Golden Book of Civil Codes. Do you know if the translation of "National Court" is likely to mean both the Mixed Courts and the Indigenous Courts, or just one of those court systems?

Here is an illustration of the medal that Owain showed in his post here of 28 May, 2022 from pg 337 of Volume 2 of the 1937 publication of the civil codes: I Al-Kitab al-dhahabi l’il-mahakim al-ahliya, 1883-1933. Al-Matba’a al-Amiriyya bu Bulaq. As noted above the book is apparerntky usually transliterated into English as: The Golden Book of Civil Courts 1883-1933, and was published by the Government press (Amiri Press) in Bulaq. There may be a description of this medal somewhere in the text of Vol. 2, but I have not yet found it. 

large.759082542_GoldenCodevol2pg337.jpg.a9211beee3d8dfc693802ea5f625d552.jpg

This image can be zoomed for some additional details. The ribbon shown in the illustration exhibits 2 colors, and although it is problematic to identify those colors, they are consistent with the ribbon image in the photo of the Mixed Courts badge shown above in my post of 26 May 2022. I would suggest that current information may favor a ribbon with red on the right and green on the left. Several parts of the text prior to page 337 discuss two of the non-Mixed Courts, the Tribunaux Indigénes (Indigenous or Native Courts) or the Tribunaux Nationaux (the National Courts). I do not know much about some of the distinctions between these two courts, but it appears that the adaptation of the French legal coders also were incorporated into these courts as they changed from the previous Shari'ah Courts. I also am uncertain of some of the dynamics of the roles of Shari'ah Courts (that did address cases involving both Muslims and non-Muslims) and the Milla Courts (religious courts for non-Muslims). The National Courts addressed the interests of the State at large, and did employ law adapted from French law and precedents. The Mixed Courts of course oversaw the business of foreigners living and working in Egypt. These various Court systems of Egypt were not unified until 1952 (although the Mixed Courts was dissolved in 1949). It appears that the medal Owain illustrates is associated with the incorporation of French legal codes into the National Courts, and this commemoration is not associated with events and functions of the Mixed Courts. 

large.707164215_GoldenCodevol2pg333.jpg.483e114008888ce7a941d5adedf3db2d.jpg

This is page 333 of the 1937 publication I Al-Kitab al-dhahabi l’il-mahakim al-ahliya, 1883-1933, Vol 2. Al-Matba’a al-Amiriyya bu Bulaq. The members of this committee may be wearing the medal commemorating the 50th anniversary of the National Courts. The image can be zoomed for some detail, but it is not high-enough resolution to be certain what medals these men are wearing. Each man appears to wear an oval badge in the superior position (the insignia of committee members as shown above?). However, the details of whether the medal below that is round or has some projections and its ribbon colors are uncertain because of pixilation of the image at higher magnification. The man seated in the front row 2nd from the viewer's left may show a bicolored ribbon, with the darker color on the viewer's right(? - as may the man seated in the front row 5th from the right and the man standing in the back row 2nd from the right). Mostly the context of this image suggests the committee members could be wearing the insignia shown in the first photo of this post. 

large.930616131_GoldenCodevol2pg343.jpg.4364463bd8672702192721fc5e041329.jpg

An image of well-known Egyptians attending a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the National Courts. This comes from page 343 of the 1937, I Al-Kitab al-dhahabi l’il-mahakim al-ahliya, 1883-1933, Vol 2. Al-Matba’a al-Amiriyya bu Bulaq. The man on the far left (Salib Samy Bey, Minister of War) appears is wearing a medal I cannot distinguish but probably is wearing the oval insignia of committee members as shown in the plate above detailing the medals. The man in front 2nd from the right (Ahmed Aly Pasha, Minister of Justice) shows his medals better, but they are still unclear to me. The ribbon on his medal appear to represent alternating dark & light stripes. This image can be zoomed for just bit more detail. Again the context makes it possible that these are the two medals shown in the plate above, but it is far from clear in this photo. 

large.1764140972_GoldenCodevol2pg341.jpg.1e0e785f62c1c3a4e68d5ed28d2c224a.jpg

Above is a key to some of the persons shown in the previous photo portrait. This comes from page 341 of the 1937 I Al-Kitab al-dhahabi l’il-mahakim al-ahliya, 1883-1933. Al-Matba’a al-Amiriyya bu Bulaq. 

Edited by Rusty Greaves

Rusty,

Congratulations on tracking down illustration of this scarce piece and also adding to our knowledge by introducing us to the Commemorative Committee Badge. There are 21 members of the Committee in the photograph and thus the badge must be a rare piece. I would suggest that medals were issued to a greater number of people but nonetheless it also must be a rare piece, if not quite as the badge.

Owain

Rusty,

In addition the Arabic on the badge would, I suggest translate as follows:

"1883-1933 / Committee Member / Organisation Fiftieth / National Courts"

Owain

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote to Hamdy Charmy, the gentleman whose photo of a Mixed Court badge I included as the 1st photo in my post here of 27 May, 2022. That image on Facebook showed a Mixed Court badge resting on its case (blocking any view of the maker’s mark on the inside of the upper lid) and a commemorative medal for the 50th anniversary of the institution of the adapted French legal code to the National Courts. He was kind enough to send me 4 additional photos that identified the maker of this badge and he told me the badge belonged to his grandfather. His photos show that this badge was made by Wolf Horovitz. I noted in my post of 27 May, 2022 that the workmanship of this badge resembled that of Horovitz or Stobbe. However, the form of the calligraphy on the central tablet inscription is unlike that on any other of the very few examples of any of the Horivitz-made badges (a miniscule sample size of 2) that I have been able to find on the internet (see the cropped images comparing the Charmy badge and of a late 2018-early 2019 eBay example that are attached as the final 2 photos in this post). 

large.IMG_20220602_174946.jpg.79bab22d9d1b131d40f9179da337b608.jpg

Above is a high-resolution image of the reverse of Mr. Charmy’s grandfather’s badge. This can be enlarged for a more detailed view of the Horovitz name and the Egyptian silver hallmarks. It shows the “H…VITZ” of the name “HOROVITZ” name visible under the tunic pin and the 3 Egyptian silver hallmarks (left-right: the Alexandria assay office’s mark for 900 silver, the cat indicting Egyptian-made silver between 1916-1946; and the “I” date hallmark that denotes an assay date of 1934-1935. 

large.IMG_20220602_174941.jpg.b2b85b71b9470292253b5f3f366296d4.jpg

Inside of the case associated with this Mixed Courts badge showing the name and address for Wolf Horovitz. The style of this labelling is the same as that seen in the case of the example from a late 2018 eBay auction offering (shown in the 4th photo of my post of 1 December, 2018 on this thread). 

large.IMG_20220602_174951.jpg.f2f8efefbc85a185b62df7a2ac2b6c7c.jpg

Unfocused image of the Charmy Horovitz badge. Although this is not a great image, it does show well the silver and gold coloration of this badge. In my previous post I was unsure whether this might be a silver badge or a silver and gold District Court badge. The image shows gilt on the rayed embellishment, the fringe of the mantle, the tasseled cords at the upper corners of the mantle, the Order of Medjidie element, probably the superior end of each of the tugs, the central inscribed tablet, the star above the tablet, and the crown. Although the image of this badge in my post here of 27 May, 2022 shows better detail of the badge, the above image clearly shows the gilt ornamentation, identifying this as a District Courts badge (Cairo, Alexandria, or Mansourah). 

large.IMG_20220602_174855.jpg.b84a2f49b27708e23076336ecb511e72.jpg

High-resolution photo of the medal accompanying this badge, the 50th anniversary commemorative medal celebrating the introduction of the French legal code into use in the National Courts (also formerly called the “Native” or “Indigenous” Courts until the term “National” was substituted for those other identifiers). This image can be enlarged for better details. The name visible on the inner lid is that of Tewfik Bichay. 

large.981815422_HamdiCharmyDistrictCourtbadgetabletdetail.jpg.b09e67f1e2ffec062ec5b46938610428.jpg

Cropped image of the calligraphy on the central tablet of the Hamdi Charmy badge. This image can be zoomed for greater detail. All of the diacritical marks on the tablet above are different than those on other Horivitz badges (see below). There is no indication that the form of the inscription suggests any replacement with a tablet from a different maker. This example has unique calligraphy compared with all of the internet images I have seen and those volunteered by collectors (for other identified and the 4 currently unidentified manufacturers of this badge). The different calligraphy on this piece compared with the 2 other identified Horovitz badges indicates the use of another die, but probably only for the tablet element on this example of Horovitz’s workmanship. I see no glaring differences in the other badge elements (these are 3-piece constructions; the rayed embellishment, the mantle and its design components, and the tablet with the motto).   

large.2090665538_Horovitzbadge2018eBayobversedetails.jpg.6657ffa9d8b648937730c124cd939a55.jpg

Compare the calligraphy on the Charmy badge with the above image of the late 2018-early 2019 eBay Horovitz silver badge (https://www.ebay.com/itm/EGYPT-KING-FAROUK-SILVER-GILT-ENAMEL-JUDGE-BADGE-IN-ORIGINAL-CASE-XXX-RARE-/223282793829; this link is no longer active). This image of the eBay badge shows approximately the same portion of the obverse as the previous photo of the Charmy badge. Note the upside-down orientation of the tugra in the Order of Medjidie design element. Other than the differences in the tablet calligraphy, the workmanship and overall design is identical between these badges. Note especially the very light relief of the inner surface of the mantle, the low-relief of the crossed laurel and oak branches and their leaves and fruit (compared with Froment-Meurice), and the execution of the Order of Medjidie and the crescent and star surmounting it. This badge has a date hallmark of “N” = an assay date of 1938-1939. Horovitz was a skilled jeweler, and his versions of the Froment-Meurice designs are outstanding among the other local, principally Alexandrian, ateliers.  

Edited by Rusty Greaves