News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KM SAILOR TELLERMÜTZE WITH UNOFFICIAL INSIGNIA

Dear Gents

I knew than many uboat men,etc did use to wear unofficial symbol or insignias on their bordmütze but I suppose is more strange see those symbol on tellermütze and so i would like any info if any from you know about Km sailors could wear any Unofficial insignia or symbol added on their tellermütze as I have seen these days on pics and any tellermütze with it,I have seen Narvik Edelweiss,etc and if you have any period pic with where we could see any strange symbol please happy to see it.

thanks for your comments

Fernando

6ac05c9b20890d3f2747cdaacd955f12.jpg

CIMG5852.jpg

CIMG5855.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101_II_M2_KBK_245_12_Frankreich.jpg

20170127_204058.jpg

g010007_1.jpg

Diether von Roeder_3.jpg

Edited by SICHERHEITSDIENTS

Hi,

the emblem with anchor and key on the Regatta cap is the cap emblem of the North German Lloyd (Norddeutscher Lloyd or NDL). The anchor obviously for the shipping aspect, the key is the key to the gates of the city of Bremen, where the NDL headquater was located. This indicates to me, that in civil life the guy was an employee of this shipping line like so many other seamen that then served in the Kriegsmarine.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Note: see # ID 118 of the next topic

To my knowledge, the NDL badge, as displayed on the Tellermütze cover (unofficialy) was worn by non-Kriegsmarine personnel of the former KdF and NDL ships who were militarized as hospital ships, troop ships, etc. When these ships were employed by the Kriegsmarine, the vast majority of the staff was dressed as KM personnel, but to retain their former status some might have valued to express that by wearing the NDL badge.

It is interesting to see that the NDL badge was worn in a similar fashion as the (unofficial) U-boat flottilla and other hat badges.

Edited by Odulf

4 hours ago, SICHERHEITSDIENTS said:

Apart NDL badge what do you think about another Unofficial symbol on tellermütze have you ever been and you consider as possible thing for diferents purposal?

Thanks

Fernando 

I don't understand your question Fernando.

I mean than if in your whole life as km collector anyone from you saw tellermütze and too periods pics from sailors wearing extra or unofficial insignia or symbols added on his Tellermütze as examples I posted.

I know this was unusual but how rare were them and no under regulations?

Thanks