News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Aliwal North (Afrikaans: Aliwal-Noord) is a town in central South Africa on the Orange River, Eastern Cape Province. Aliwal North is the seat of the Maletswai Local Municipality within the Joe Gqabi District Municipality.

Aliwal North is named in tribute to Sir Harry Smith.  Sir Harry Smith,  founded the small town of Aliwal North in the Cape Province of South Africa in 1850. He named the town "Aliwal" in memory of his victory over the Sikhs in 1846, and "North" in opposition to Aliwal South (now Mossel Bay). The park in the centre of Aliwal North, the Juana Square Gardens was named after Smith's wife Juana Maria de Los Dolores de Leon... Municipal status was attained in 1882.

[My first comment was 'Aliwal sounds Indian'.  Then I found this. ;) ]

Edited by peter monahan

• 4 weeks later...
    • 7 months later...

Hi Gents

I started off looking for HW Miller and found this out instead...

IMG_3961.thumb.PNG.76141b8972be149be683ee181b31a8a3.PNG

IMG_3962.thumb.PNG.467a33c0ef5d96aa9f744c306e8a84ff.PNG

So badge for the local branch of above 'charity' perhaps. 

And millers is a well respected firm ,they have moved and their logo changed since 1939 but there are makers marks as yours at least from 40's into the 50's...

i like it!

tony

Tony, a very interesting development!  Thank you for sharing your discovery.  The Union Club of South Africa was another local patriotic society that produced enamelled brass badges for its members - a new variant each year.  I had a small collection of them that is now with my younger son in the UK.

Regards

Brett

• 6 years later...