News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need a Hellp for the Mark (*) asterisk on the awards

Graf

Dear Members from the Austrian Section,

We need help and more information regarding the Mark (*) -asterisk on the Austrian and other  countries Award made by Austrian Makers

I collect Bulgarian Awards and decorations and many of them are Austrian made Few of them have this mark

My knowledge is that this is the Mark for Bronze/Brass

I also read that it was customary  used during the war time for awards made by Brass, which were later replaced by Gold and Siler/Gilded ones

I posted as much information on the thread -Bulgaria Red Cross Badge You can read this

Here is some information from Military  dealers from around the world-,Austria, North America and UK

-FRANZ JOSEPH ORDEN, Ritterkreuz mit der Kleindekoration zum Offizierskreuz mit KD.
    AE - vergoldet und emailliert, im ovalen Bandring Sternchenpunze(Starmark)

Note:  AE is  Bronze/Brass,  AR is Silver AU is Gold

-Military Merit Order 3rd class (Commander) with original full length ribbon. WW1 period (late Ferdinand issue). Most likely of Austrian manufacture (probably Schwerdtner). Suspension eye marked with a 'star punch' which was customary for Austrian decorations marked for replacement in gold/silver gilt after the War. Ultimately, we are uncertain why the mark is there (for this is not an Austrian decoration) but interesting never the less - undoubtedly of War period manufacturing. Gilded

Note: This is Bulgarian Award

- Order of Franz Joseph Knight badge in bronze gilt with star hallmark

Please give us more information on the topic

Graf

$T2eC16N,!)kE9s4Z-vOHBQ6fb1RtDg~~60_3.JPG

Picture 697.jpg

Edited by Graf

Hello Graf,

To my knowledge, the star-mark denotes "unedles Metall", so not gold, platina or silver, and is not a hallmark, but is believed to be an (Austrian) jewellers mark to assist in identification of the type of metal used (and thus: the commercial value) of the piece.

Regards,

Sandro 

Thank you GdC26 for the information

I have seen this mark on all Austrian Awards that are made of Bronze and as I mentioned in Austrian made other nations Awards that are not made of Gold or Silver

Regards

Graf

I have information kindly provided by an Austrian Dealer and Expert regarding the Star mark or Sternhenpunze

It was use for items made of Bronze and the different makers used their typical Sternhenpunze

Graf

On 3/13/2017 at 10:10, Graf said:

Military Merit Order 3rd class (Commander) with original full length ribbon. WW1 period (late Ferdinand issue). Most likely of Austrian manufacture (probably Schwerdtner). Suspension eye marked with a 'star punch' which was customary for Austrian decorations marked for replacement in gold/silver gilt after the War. Ultimately, we are uncertain why the mark is there (for this is not an Austrian decoration) but interesting never the less - undoubtedly of War period manufacturing. Gilded

Now we have to find out more information regarding the above  Any comments?

Scan0005.jpg

Scan0006.jpg

Scan0007 (1).jpg

Scan0009.jpg