News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Yugoslavian Flag - silvered and giled

Hello Gentleman,

I have some questions regarding the Order of the Yugoslavian Flag. I hope some of you can answer my questions.

I have a book about Yugoslavian Orders, but the book is written in the Russian language. I already translated some passages about the Order of the Yugoslavian Flag by using an online translator. According to this book most orders were made only silvered and gilded from the year 1980/1981 on. This should also be the case for the Order of the Yugoslavian Flag. There are some pictures from the first class of the order, they show this. My question is: are the orders of the classes 2nd to 5th also silvered or gilded too?

If yes, were the orders of the 2nd and 3rd classes made in both forms (one with enamel flag and one with the flag with golden lines)?

Moreover, can you please let me know, whether somebody knows something about the flag of the 1st class, shown in the silvered form? 

Fahnenorden, 1-Kl, OZ, Silber, AVS.jpg

Fahnenorden, 1-Kl, OZ, Silber, RVS.jpg

Greetings Richard,
    First of all, may I ask which book are you using? Is it perhaps "Orders and Medals of the Communist Yugoslavia" (Ордена и медали коммунистической Югославии)? 
    It is true that some of the Yugoslav decorations were made out of tombac in the '80s but I don't think that's the case with the Yugoslavian Flag. Also according to the Statute of the order from '86 all five classes should be silver.
    -I class star: silver base, central part (small wreath with flag) copper-zinc alloy (tombac?)
    -I class badge: gilded silver
    There are examples without silver hallmarks out there but that doesn't mean that they are not made out of silver. 
    As far as I know badge of the first class was never in the silver form (not gilded).

Hello Paja,

thank you for your answer.

Yes, this book is it. I have already the book Odlikovanja Socijalisticke Federativne Republike Jugoslavije, but I must translate this sometimes.

Ok, if there are no hallmarks on the order, that does not means that the order is not made out of silver, like as the Order of the National Merit.

On the online forum “sammler.ru” can be read, that late badges of the 1st class of the Order of the Yugoslavian Flag were made of gilded bronze. That’s the reason why I asked.

Have you an idea, which orders from the year 1980/81 are made out of tombac? I know, that all classes of the Order of the Republic, the Order of the People´s Army and the Order of the Military Merit since 1980/81 are made out of tombac.

Best regards

Richard

You are welcome. Unfortunately I still don't have a copy of that book, I mainly use the other one that you have mentioned, that's probably the best source of information for now. 
    Sammler is excellent, definitely the best online catalog of Yugoslav decorations but there are some minor inaccuracies. If I'm not mistaken they state that only the first class order has a variant made out of bronze while the rest of the classes were made out of silver which doesn't make sense, at least to me. Also they state that the second class was awarded 1300 times and third 1443 but it's the other way around, II class 1443 times, III 1300.
    I think the following orders were made out of tomac or bronze in the '80s:
    -Military Merits I (1981-1985) II & III (1981-1992)
    -National Army II & III (1981-1992), I are silver
    -Labor Order I (1981-1985), II & III were made out of tombac even before
    -Merits for the People II & III (1981-1992), when it comes to I - IKOM pieces with double horizontal needle are definitely silver but I'm not sure about ZIN with vertical needle (I'm speaking of the last types, not those remade ones), it's quite possible that all I are silver
    -Order of Republic II (1981-1992), I think there are also first class orders made out of tombac

Edited by paja

Looks like there's one more like that on sammler (photos found there), unfortunately there's no photo of the front side and I'm not sure if it's gilded or not. The main difference are those attaching thingies on the back side.
    01.thumb.jpg.d55c79d02f70c9c864719b7cf7b8582f.jpg

Edited by paja