News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lieutenant Alfred Schulze, Geheime Feldpolizei

Lieutenant Heinrich Friedrich Alfred Schulze, Born 17 Nov 1889, Kassel, Hessen.

It appears he was an He was ordonnanz officer (Originally Train?) to the commander of  army division "Scholtz" on the eastern front, his task as I understand it  was  to assist the group commander in all manner of tasks from liaison to being the commander’s eyes on the ground... then in 1918  while serving in the Ukraine he transferred to the Geheime Feldpolizei, which was largely responsible for counter espionage against the Red Army in the Poltava area

He was awarded both the Iron Cross 1st (signed by Graf von Schwerin) and 2nd class (documents attached)

I have also read an excellent book "Bolsheviks in the Ukraine" by Adams and here https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geheime_Feldpolizei_(Erster_Weltkrieg) 

Questions;

1) Is there any evidence that  "ordonnanz officer" or "Orderly Officer" would be involved as an Intelligence officer or was an Intelligence officer ?

2) Is there any good English language books or articles on the "Geheime Feldpolizei" generally and more specifically in the Ukraine

3) Welcome any thoughts and suggestions on research avenues

4) Is the EK1 signed by this person https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detlof_von_Schwerin

5) Has anyone any further information of Herr Schulze

Thanks, Paul 

IMG_20170513_0005.jpg

IMG_20170513_0006.jpg

IMG_20170513_0007.jpg

IMG_20170513_0008.jpg

IMG_20170513_0009.jpg

IMG_20170513_0010.jpg

IMG_20170513_0011.jpg

Hello : A ordonnanzoffizier , was as you states a personal helper of a high command , a divisional or army corps one , normally a lieutenant or captain , he was part of the entourage but not a member of the staff . eyes and ears of the general , was also his messenger. quite a complicated job . Andre Tardieu a notable french politician was in 1914 with 38 years of age mobilized as lieutenant de reserve . he served 4 months as officer d ordonnance to the not yet marshall Foch . after he served under gral Joffre in the same role and in this post he created a efficient informations service. information , spionage . 

Dante : Glad to serve. In my last post I forgot something about the Train, there were no specifically trained Trainoffiziere, normally the officers of the Trainbataillonen were former cavalry or artillery officers commisioned to the formations . whereas NCOs and troopers actually were. Traintruppe . both used the uniform of the Train and were considered mounted I dont know how was the mechanism to send a officer to the Train but some sources suggested that the Train formations received officers whose respective regiments had no longer a place for them ..

Dante : Glad to serve. In my last post I forgot something about the Train, there were no specifically trained Trainoffiziere, normally the officers of the Trainbataillonen were former cavalry or artillery officers commisioned to the formations .

That is absolutely not the case. Certainly before the turn of the century most officers posted to train formations were former cavalry and artillery officers and in fact the original commanders of Train-Bataillonen were field artillery officers. However just a quick glance at the 1914 "Vollständige Dienstaltersliste" shows that all Train Oberleunants (with one single exception) and Leutnants were directly commissioned into the Train branch as indeed were the majority of the Rittmeister.

Regards

Glenn