News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Oman Gallantry Medals

I am new to this forum, but interested in Omani medals.  There was one early query that I may be albe to answer, and that is in respect of the miniature Omani emblem found on the ribbon of the Sultan's Bravery Medal (WB),and SOMETIMES on the Sultan's Distinguished Service Medal.(WKhM).  The awarding of medals for gallantry to officers has traditionally followed the British system whereby a single act of gallantry performed by a Field Officer (Major and above) would be a DSO : whereas the same act performed by a Junior Officer (Captain and below) would be awarded a Military Cross.  In Oman this system was replicated in general by the award of a Bravery Medal representing a DSO, and a Distinguished Service Medal (for Gallantry) representing the MC.  To differentiate and identify a Distinguished Service Medal for Gallantry from a Distinguished Service Medal then the former was issued with the miniature Omani emblem the same as the Bravery Medal, and was written (in English) as the WkhM (G).

All such awards are listed by name and date in Ashly Tinson's excellent book.

John, Welcome to the forum. Arab awards are nigh impossible to research, but Tinson's book is beacon of light in the darkness and one of the very few books on Arabic awards. This forum represents the other great source of information. Kind regards, Owain

• 5 years later...

Tinson's book describes the medals and their history very well, but his lists of awards to various British officers contain many errors.

A file of amendments / corrections has been created by Ian Buttenshaw who has had to assume a co-author role since Tinson's death and following a number of reports of inaccuracies.

Edited by S A F Officer

Hi SAFO,

Good to note an updated list of awards is being compiled.

I have three editions of Tinson's book:

1. 'Awards of the Sultanate of Oman', Major A.R. Tinson, Spink, London, 1985
    2. 'Orders & Medals of the Sultanate of Oman', Lt. Col. A.R. Tinson, Spink, London, 1995
    3. 'Orders and Medals of the Sultanate of Oman', Originally written by Lt Col A.R. Tinson, Updated & Amended by Lt Col I Buttenshaw, WKhM, RAO Printing Press, Oman 2010.

Does the Buttenshaw file you refer to update any amendments / corrections in the 2010 edition?

Regards & thanks,

Owain

• 1 month later...

SAFO,

Please to advise that after much searching I have now obtained a copy of the First Edition:

• 'Orders, Decorations and Medals of the Sultanate of Oman', Major A.R. Tinson, Spink and Son Limited, 1977

So over a period of 45 years four editions - quite a successful 'life' for a book on Arab awards.

Owain

• 1 month later...

Good morning. 

My uncle has the Oman DSM with the Oman Emblem along with As Samood  and Oman GSM campaign medals. He said he took the Sultans medals as he would only have received a bar on his British GSM for Dhofar for the same campaign. 

I will try to post the picture on here but unsure how to add as I'm new to this. I have had them replaced as I only received the miniatures, my cousin got the full size medals. 

My uncle was named in Soldier I under his nickname, those who fought in Operation Jaguar was it all SAS or was attached arms present? He never acknowledged being in the SAS but he was given a copy of soldier I and the book is crudely presented to him from all the boys G Sqn. He went on to serve in the Sultans Armoured Car squadron and received a very heavy ring which I have with the emblem on it. 

Again I will try to add images can anyone provide any information please?

Many thanks in advance

Clayton 

These is his medals, like I said I got the miniatures so managed to get full sized replicas but couldn't get the emblem so took it from his miniature. Bottom right was the bullet he was shot with by the Adoo and the ring is bottom left. I am very proud of his medals and will wear them alongside my own at remembrance parade. received_811813617285319.thumb.jpeg.6f0bfc8f212d621a4e4cdbf1cb8cb634.jpeg

Edited by ClaytonE
    Wrong detail

This is the face of the ring. 

He was presented the ring by the Sultan himself but didn't get his DSM until later in 1972.

I don't have the citation but have the letter from DRAC to congratulate him. 

Unsure if this was awarded for his role in Operation Jaguar or his service with the Sultans Armoured Car Sqn but we were always told he saved the life of a member of the Sultans family. 

Without the citation I can't prove any of it. My uncle has since died and therefore can't ask him. 

Any help you can offer is very much appreciated. 

received_1600878440409855.jpeg

Clayton,

Thanks & I have responded - his award is confirmed in Tinson's book but no citation.

Owain

PS I attach a similar group of miniatures sold some years ago on E-Bay - no name but I recall it is on another thread in GMIC.

Oman Sultan Saeed Miniature Group Edit.png

Owain, 

Many thanks for the confirmation of gallantry. It fits with what we were told shame there is no citation for the specific action. 

We were also told he was given the ring personally by the Sultan for his actions as an additional personal thank you, (we believe he saved his grandson). Has anyone ever seen this ring or similar before? 

Many thanks 

Clayton 

Clayton,

Glad to have been of assistance.

I've looked at my various Oman books and found a chapter of Operation Jaguar in 'SAS Oman' by Colonel Tony Jeapes, 1980, Chapter VII, pages 133-142. No mention of individual names other than the commanders. 

Also look at Britain's Small Wars website:

https://britains-smallwars.com/campaigns/oman/page.php?art_url=jaguar 

I note you mention 'saved his grandson' -Sultan Qaboos was not keen on the ladies so it is highly unlikely there was/is a grandson!

Kind regards,

Owain

P.S. As Spink made most of the Oman orders, decorations and medal series, and still mount medals they may have a full size gallantry device - no harm in asking.

Owain, 

Thanks again. 

In the Soldier I book he was called by his nikname "Lou" you may make the connection with his surname. 

I will try Spink for the emblem, do you think they would have the records of who received the medals? 

Didn't realise about the sultan so perhaps not a grandson then unless it was the previous sultan???? 

When you realise how many questions you needed and should have asked before he died. 

Thanks again

Clayton 

5 minutes ago, oamotme said:

Clayton,

Glad to have been of assistance.

I've looked at my various Oman books and found a chapter of Operation Jaguar in 'SAS Oman' by Colonel Tony Jeapes, 1980, Chapter VII, pages 133-142. No mention of individual names other than the commanders. 

Also look at Britain's Small Wars website:

https://britains-smallwars.com/campaigns/oman/page.php?art_url=jaguar 

I note you mention 'saved his grandson' -Sultan Qaboos was not keen on the ladies so it is highly unlikely there was/is a grandson!

Kind regards,

Owain

P.S. As Spink made most of the Oman orders, decorations and medal series, and still mount medals they may have a full size gallantry device - no harm in asking.

Owain, 

Certainly a font of knowledge. 

Could it have been a child from his sister then? Grandson of Sultan Saeed perhaps. 

Is there a clear visible difference between the Sultans medals then? 

Clayton 

The book cover and the rather crude presentation to him. Does anyone know if Kenny could be Kennedy the author and who Finn is? I think I read Finn in the book at some point.

TIA 

IMG-20230607-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230607-WA0003.jpg

Edited by ClaytonE

Clayton,

Whilst the format of the medals is the same, those issued by Sultan Saeed have his name in Arabic and the Qaboos issue have his name. Your group are of the Sultan Qaboos type.

The writing is biro above a ruler hence the 'flat' bottom line.

Owain

Ah right ok. The newer ones of the 2 then. 

The writing is what made it look so crude. The book was written well after he left the army but he served in Aldergrove for a few years so may have come across the guys again some time and was given the book. 

Clayton 

Owain, 

You are a star. 

I contacted Spink yesterday, told them about my predicament and if they had a Khanjar I could buy. They have 1 left and said they are happy to send it to me to compliment Roy's medals appropriately. 

Thanks for the heads up about them. 

Clayton 

• 2 weeks later...

922f,

Many thanks. 

I have old colleagues who have friends further up the food chain in Muscat looking into him so maybe one day I will be able to elaborate on his story. 

I even wrote to antiques roadshow as they have military historians etc but they were not interested. Which having watched some if the stuff they do show surprised me somewhat. 

A development today. 

I have the citation details, surprising how the award is not in the face face of the enemy yet it was awarded whilst engaged in a 4 hour fire fight. I will leave the outlines for now and copy and paste the whole situation later at home.

SGT ROY rescued 4 injured soldiers and officers and returned to save the weapons and deliver ammunition to the front line whilst taking fire.

Clayton