News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on KO Marked Crosses

Hello All,

I know next to nothing about Iron Crosses. I do have one that is ?KO? marked. I remember reading somewhere that KO crosses were ?issue? crosses. Is that correct, and if so, were KO?s also manufactured and issued after the war?

Thanks,

Lee

KOs were made by or for the Royal Prussian Orders Chancellery and all are issue pieces. Since Iron Crosses were issued until 1924 (mostly late awards and a few for the unrest of the period). I believe these late awards would mostly have later plated frames or be two piece or one piece bronze strikes that are seen. Many jewelers after 1917 could no longer produce items from genuine silver. I do not know if this was due to a shortage of labor to mine it (since all of the young men were off to the war) or whether it was being used to purchase war materials from the neutrals. Many countries dealing with Germany would only accept gold in payment, and since there was only a limited gold reserve, silver may have been used for this as well. With inflation out of control in the 20's, silver would be extremely expensive at this time. Since all KOs I have seen have silver frames, I do not believe they were issued after the war.

Dan Murphy

Guest Darrell

Darrell, is KAG regarded as a rare or scarce maker? I haven't seen as many KAG as KO marked crosses but that is only my experience.

I would say K.O. marked crosses have to be one of the most common EKs manufactured. Definitely more so than K.A.G. However, K.A.G. are not that hard to come by.

Edited by Darrell