News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Grand Maneuvers of the West (1912) Foreign Representatives

paja

Greetings gentlemen,
    I stumbled upon information that one of my ancestors was Serbian representative on the Grand Maneuvers of the West in 1912 (Les grandes manoeuvres de l'Ouest). I managed to find a post card with foreign representatives on delcampe.net which proves that. Unfortunately it's not very large so I'd be very grateful if someone could share with me a better scan or some other image or post card with foreign delegations.
    My ancestor was awarded with the Legion of Honor (officer) in 1912, I presume this occurred during the maneuvers. Later, in 1917, he was awarded with the commander.
    00.thumb.jpg.e2085fd42ca28c64c670a497b6018fdd.jpg

"GRANDES MANŒUVRES DE L'OUEST en 1912 - Missions Militaires Etrangeres"

Edited by paja

List of foreign officers who attended the maneuvers according to their rank:

Denmark: Tuxen, divisional general

BoliviaPastor Baldivieso, colonel
    SwitzerlandSimonius, artillery colonel; Romer, infantry colonel
    Norway:  Bull, infantry colonel
    Japan: Watanabe, artillery colonel, military attache
    EnglandYarde-Buller, general staff colonel, military attache
    NetherlandsPiepers, cavalry colonel
    Austria-Hungary: Vidal, general staff colonel

Peru: Manuel Bonilla lieutenant colonel
    Serbia: Milan Tucaković, general staff lieutenant colonel
    Italy: Zaccone, general staff lieutenant colonel, military attache
    ArgentineAvelino Mendez, infantry lieutenant colonel, military attache
    GreeceCharlambis, artillery lieutenant colonel (Charalambos?)
    ChileJulio Brownell / Broronell (?), lieutenant colonel, military attache 
    USABentley-Mott, artillery lieutenant colonel, military attache
    Austra-Hungary: count Lamezan-Salins, general staff lieutenant colonel, military attache
    Spain: Rodriguez de Rivas, lieutenant colonel
    Belgium: Cumont, cavalry lieutenant colonel

Germanyvon Winterfeldt, general staff major, military attache
    BrasilFleury de Barros, cavalry major, military attache
    Ottoman EmpireDjemil Bey, major, military attache
    Romania: Soutzo, general staff major, military attache 

Switzerland: Baumain, infantry captain (Balmain?)
    SwedenAmundson, engineer captain, military attache
    Bulgaria: Petrov, general staff captain, military attache 
    MexicoFederico Cervantes, engineer captain
    PortugalPereira dos Santos, general staff captain

I apologize if I miswrote some of the surnames, a few of them were miswritten in the original source as well.

Edited by paja

There was also a special British mission attending the  maneuvers which consisted of:
    -Wilson, brigade general
    -MacDonogh, general staff colonel
    -Farquhar, general staff major

Edited by paja

Thank  you for the tip! The photo was taken at the same location and even though some of the faces appear on both postcards, Serbia had different representative in 1913, unfortunately.

These are truly wonderful photos, Paja. Thanks for posting them.

This is a subject of great interest to me and an area I have collected in. However, I have had a look at my postcards of the manoeuvres and I have nothing after 1908, sadly (a gap I need to fill).

As a general point, military attachés of the period deserve more study on this board, I think, as they usually present a dazzling array of different uniforms in such a 'confined space', if you know what I mean.

They also tended to be interesting characters in their own right. None more so than the US attaché, Bentley-Mott, who seems to have had the job (probably at his own expense, I suspect) for most of the Century to date. I may start a separate thread on him, when I have time.

Edited by Trooper_D

7 hours ago, paja said:

Interesting photos found on Gallica.
    01.thumb.jpg.aa352da71b44f8e1da24c9b123aa8cd1.jpg
    02.thumb.jpg.cc1daf6b9b7d7f343b1f6213037753be.jpg
    03.thumb.jpg.9cb6d15d136fd883fda6c7f1ad79ef07.jpg

Paja : from left to right : A Romanian pellise , a Swiss officer , another swiss , a French ,a Bulgarian , a Japanese ,a Chilean , a Italian staff officer , a German ,and the Serbian 

17 hours ago, Trooper_D said:

These are truly wonderful photos, Paja. Thanks for posting them.

This is a subject of great interest to me and an area I have collected in. However, I have had a look at my postcards of the manoeuvres and I have nothing after 1908, sadly (a gap I need to fill).

As a general point, military attachés of the period deserve more study on this board, I think, as they usually present a dazzling array of different uniforms in such a 'confined space', if you know what I mean.

They also tended to be interesting characters in their own right. None more so than the US attaché, Bentley-Mott, who seems to have had the job (probably at his own expense, I suspect) for most of the Century to date. I may start a separate thread on him, when I have time.

My pleasure.

I've been thinking about opening a separate, general, topic about foreign military representatives at French Maneuvers. Going through photos and postcards from various years I noticed some familiar faces. For example Serbian representative in 1904 was colonel Petar Bojović, future vojvoda. Apart from him I recognized Mihailo Živković and Jovan Dragašević, both future generals. 

I presume a lot of representatives from other countries rose up to high ranks, unfortunately I'm not that familiar with foreign officers.

16 hours ago, Bayern said:

Paja : from left to right : A Romanian pellise , a Swiss officer , another swiss , a French ,a Bulgarian , a Japanese ,a Chilean , a Italian staff officer , a German ,and the Serbian 

Thanks for your help. I don't know from which country is the last officer on the right but he can't be from Serbia. 
    In Serbia braided shoulder boards were worn by generals and generals' "šajkača" cap was different. You can see how it looked like in that period on the right (WW1 photo of general Bojović).
    Also compare that officer with the Serbian representative from the first photo it's not the same person. 
    01.JPG.7f3fe920e96646e5ada627129e7e01b5.JPG

Edited by paja