News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Modest Belgian collection....

I was looking through a ‘Collecting Medals’ book the other day and the author claimed that it was better to buy 1 x £1,000 medal than to buy 50 x £20 medal…

🤷‍♂️ I don’t know which is ‘better’ but I know I do the total opposite 😊

On 21/05/2023 at 10:01, Graf said:

Hi Tony

I also advice to to try to focus on certain Orders and periods and gradually build up your collection

Cheers

So I’m going to struggle focusing because there seem to be so many in that 10-30 price bracket I love… 😊

My first love is Austro Hungarian WW1 era, I’ve got well over 50 KTK and G-d knows how many other common ones, maybe another 100-150. But still I have only a handful worth even £100 or more.

On 04/12/2022 at 06:54, Farkas said:

The displays look great!

Mine get sorted away into boxes 🤷‍♂️

Since my last sort away, I’ve bought 20 medals (pictured).

I’m happy to say 60% are KTK 😊

8C714C5A-506D-4318-A651-4CF66F3BD7CE.thumb.jpeg.3ad4feef1c8dc65b2b6096c9aefb1121.jpeg

Having said all that, listening to the advice from you all, considering what I already have and after having a good look around Hendriks site… i think I’ve found my little niche to focus on for the moment…

‘The Order of Leopold II’

Knight class & the 3 medals

(and of course ww1  🙃)

These are the other 3 of the 6 I bought the other day, I’ll post some proper pictures later (& ask a few questions).

Of course all unloved, have issues and damage… just the way I like them!!

C5F62A20-DEE4-4B17-83EF-C0F5A2A83131.thumb.jpeg.1c53a85ece2591ec9de6ec3f1f247db5.jpeg

cheers

tony 🍻

1 hour ago, Farkas said:

I was looking through a ‘Collecting Medals’ book the other day and the author claimed that it was better to buy 1 x £1,000 medal than to buy 50 x £20 medal…

🤷‍♂️ I don’t know which is ‘better’ but I know I do the total opposite 😊

So I’m going to struggle focusing because there seem to be so many in that 10-30 price bracket I love… 😊

My first love is Austro Hungarian WW1 era, I’ve got well over 50 KTK and G-d knows how many other common ones, maybe another 100-150. But still I have only a handful worth even £100 or more.

Having said all that, listening to the advice from you all, considering what I already have and after having a good look around Hendriks site… i think I’ve found my little niche to focus on for the moment…

‘The Order of Leopold II’

Knight class & the 3 medals

(and of course ww1  🙃)

These are the other 3 of the 6 I bought the other day, I’ll post some proper pictures later (& ask a few questions).

Of course all unloved, have issues and damage… just the way I like them!!

C5F62A20-DEE4-4B17-83EF-C0F5A2A83131.thumb.jpeg.1c53a85ece2591ec9de6ec3f1f247db5.jpeg

cheers

tony 🍻

Hi Toni I am glad you found your place in the collecting

All we started as you did. Personally I  reshaped my collection several times.

That is the life of the collector-. never stops to discover new areas of interest

I hope you are not offended with our advice. It comes from our hearts and experience.

I  like your enthusiasm and dedication Keep it that way

My first love were the Belgium Decorations and awards I still love them, however my main  interests shifted to other areas. I reshaped my Belgium Collection dramatically

As I said never it never stops As we grow as collectors we start thinking not only about the collectors value but also the market value. Sadly one day we have to sell our collection. Only people with very deep pockets can afford to keep and pass to next Generations

Have a nice day

Edited by Graf

1 hour ago, Graf said:

I hope you are not offended with our advice. It comes from our hearts and experience.

I 100% appreciate it really, I know a lot more than I did a few weeks ago and a lot more than I would have without the encouragement from all of you on this this thread.

This was my 2nd ever post on GMIC 👇

57E5A946-1251-471C-8B8A-58C6A38101F8.thumb.jpeg.14b4205b167387e0094c34df711bb290.jpeg

this was my first reply 👇

9C68B00C-3DE5-49D8-A4D7-2DCBC1AAA71B.jpeg.4e3838cc22511e84cbe8dcf5e3e7a80e.jpeg

& I loved it!   (I miss Bayern 🥺)

- I was new to the internet & Instead of my looking at books and still getting it wrong here was knowledge! 

But. Without going on (too much more)…

I stopped posting after a while, I kept fe&&ing up, posting in threads that didn’t appreciate pictures of my ‘run of the mill’ bits & bobs. Things that were to me interesting or relevant in my scale of things just weren’t interesting in the bigger picture and I was often drinking which never helped.

I recently decided to login again, just to answer a couple of questions I saw asked, determined not to talk about my stuff 🤷‍♂️ but since couldn’t help myself 😊
    I’m glad though. It’s good to be back on here, a little older and wiser about how such things work but I need the interaction, it is for me what I want.

tony 🍻🍻

Hi Gents

These are my other 3

5950C35E-F9DA-469B-AB4B-ADBE63C82BAB.thumb.jpeg.abd54d50ce3d9f4362b1a5af7ce51d97.jpeg

First the 2 Leopold II

7D25133E-20BC-4E27-A60F-48F969AA9076.thumb.jpeg.91ded9344daa81915e752e382650b9a1.jpeg

A57DA6BE-CE56-4D03-848E-C5EFBBD47821.thumb.jpeg.37e48396e8cf712c8f87ae06d0e2fcff.jpeg

781A5C83-0B2B-43D6-90C8-80A517FDE59F.thumb.jpeg.c301c3cb628b581cc4b3f654db311bde.jpeg

23ADADA2-1DE9-4007-B81B-DDA83A807472.thumb.jpeg.269ecea3d1feb27798bc274cd62cefba.jpeg

98282D40-F0E2-4307-9098-0E61E5BB96B8.thumb.jpeg.ca293ec2725883fff56965ad06d34d37.jpeg

3C573DEF-2983-4370-A467-122C82C5E016.thumb.jpeg.1ad449d4e56fb4e404c9c9bb601d3192.jpeg

(… continues below)

Order of Leopold, Knights Class.

C9D5CB33-1584-49CD-B7B8-D0AFA3F8A6B8.thumb.jpeg.1dd6fc5d05e7e65087ba924f37ba569b.jpeg

1D2B91C0-14A7-4E38-9B0B-28960BEFAE75.thumb.jpeg.f7f6394ebb39343df25646d180ffa509.jpeg

30FE8C29-954A-4E1B-B190-BB80322D7887.thumb.jpeg.c8f37f5ccf7ee1509cb98bb1e587b356.jpeg

D7B5CB0C-58A9-4120-AF8B-0E455649AE0A.thumb.jpeg.5099d257f3007cbae222563e792a67ba.jpeg

This ribbon is missing the palm leaf and/or has had a rosette attached at some point I guess…

(continues below in 10 min or so 😊)

tony 

Nice ones

You can easily repair The Knight  of the L2

Only the pin is missing.

Have you measured the site of the central medallions

The back medallion looks the same size of the other central Medallion,

Sometimes the sellers get the Orders with detached central medallions and the put them on the one they think they belong

It is not difficult to get replacement medallions They pop -up on eBay regularly ,,or if you like the Order like them leave them like that

On 24/05/2023 at 02:52, Graf said:

Nice ones

You can easily repair The Knight  of the L2

Only the pin is missing.

Have you measured the site of the central medallions

The back medallion looks the same size of the other central Medallion,

Sometimes the sellers get the Orders with detached central medallions and the put them on the one they think they belong

It is not difficult to get replacement medallions They pop -up on eBay regularly ,,or if you like the Order like them leave them like that

Though I rarely do, my intention is often to repair/restore and it was with these 2.  
    I actually thought I’d first put the ribbon and palm from the left one with the crown from the right one and swap the back over too…

However now I’ve got them, looked at Hendriks site and had a look at them in the flesh, several  differences are apparent so habing a rethink.

Here are the three I now have…

(I’ll refer to them as A,B & C)

Focusing on the Crosses first, none are the same!
    D4D46BEA-B270-4634-84D9-3FED588E1CAB.thumb.jpeg.fbdfa0cb3d69b9684f8cfffd74d89b1e.jpeg

The centre of A is different to B&C

- the centre is not as raised.

- different lettering 

C is smaller than A&B

2DA46584-7EE1-4D50-ACD0-05EADA601359.thumb.jpeg.a029191b86114886de9111051d7e5ebc.jpeg

Detailing/outline on C is also much poorer quality

7203F685-4228-4121-8527-D001B70FF861.thumb.jpeg.baace07449ce13e1362a9b6c1c3e4963.jpeg

On 24/05/2023 at 02:52, Graf said:

I’m thinking this may have happened with the ribbons? The cross & crown on A are noticeably shinier - as is the palm on C.

The palm on A is also more in keeping with the (older?) crown on C. 

Am I right in saying that A is the newest of the 3?

All thoughts welcome,

cheers

tony

The difference in these decorations are the result of the many different manufacturers that made them. Each one made their own molds and thus the differences. Over the years molds are worn out and needed to be replaced, so even from the same munufacturer they can show some differences. It also happened that one manufacturer bought the other one and got a hold on their molds so that two different manufacturers can have the same design. (Still following? 😛)

Common manufacturers are/were: Wolfers, P. Degreef, Mauquoy, Fisch, Fonson, Walravens ... and many others. The earlier ones were made by jewelers like J.G. Dutalis, Allard, C.J. Buls, J. Heremans, etc. Some of them are easy to recognize by their design.

If you like these differences the work of Antti Ruokones, who's mentioned a few post back, is a must. He compares many makers and their differences in design. It's probably not 100% accurate (as it's nearly impossible) but it's the best attempt to list the differences and linking them to a manufacturer that I've seen this far.

53 minutes ago, Farkas said:

Am I right in saying that A is the newest of the 3?

Not necessarily, the way they are stored has a big influence on how they aged. If they are always kept in the box, locked in a drawer and never came in contact with the sun, they will look far better than one that is mounted in a frame that hangs on a wall and comes in direct contact with light. Also is the medal worn a lot or not? Is it cleaned in the past or not? ... (Sun)light and rubbing are a medal's worst nightmare.

6 hours ago, VC89 said:

The difference in these decorations are the result of the many different manufacturers that made them. Each one made their own molds and thus the differences. Over the years molds are worn out and needed to be replaced, so even from the same munufacturer they can show some differences. It also happened that one manufacturer bought the other one and got a hold on their molds so that two different manufacturers can have the same design. (Still following? 😛)

Common manufacturers are/were: Wolfers, P. Degreef, Mauquoy, Fisch, Fonson, Walravens ... and many others. The earlier ones were made by jewelers like J.G. Dutalis, Allard, C.J. Buls, J. Heremans, etc. Some of them are easy to recognize by their design.

If you like these differences the work of Antti Ruokones, who's mentioned a few post back, is a must. He compares many makers and their differences in design. It's probably not 100% accurate (as it's nearly impossible) but it's the best attempt to list the differences and linking them to a manufacturer that I've seen this far.

Not necessarily, the way they are stored has a big influence on how they aged. If they are always kept in the box, locked in a drawer and never came in contact with the sun, they will look far better than one that is mounted in a frame that hangs on a wall and comes in direct contact with light. Also is the medal worn a lot or not? Is it cleaned in the past or not? ... (Sun)light and rubbing are a medal's worst nightmare.

Good points

On 27/05/2023 at 23:02, VC89 said:

I think I need me a book!

thanks for the suggestions 👍

& Yes it’s the most rubbed… 😊

On 27/05/2023 at 23:02, VC89 said:

Is it cleaned in the past or not? ... (Sun)light and rubbing are a medal's worst nightmare.

Cheers 🍻 

On 29/05/2023 at 22:00, Farkas said:

I think I need me a book!

thanks for the suggestions 👍

& Yes it’s the most rubbed… 😊

Cheers 🍻 

Hi Tony,

till you get good reference book/s you can rely on the forums That is the reason of them to share knowledge and experience

Once I joined the GMIC I felt part of society Otherwise it is a lonely experience Most of the advanced collectors have had Mentors to give them directions

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents,

i only spotted these fellas just as the auction was ending, got them for £17 + £3 postage.

I didn’t have time to look into them but i hope for £20 it was worth a punt.

5 miniatures with ribbon...

63A59840-3DA6-4DDE-8490-ED9B8224EEED.jpeg.8964ec14ef4fe2ca7baeea25f29ce1b0.jpeg

628C7D4B-B8EF-46F7-A5FD-73E18FA3CB6A.thumb.jpeg.1b3b5174dd5b63c5cfab6f1019cfc547.jpeg

Numbers 3 & 4 caught my eye the most.

I’ll post some pics when i get them but in the meantime... any information or observations are most welcome and appreciated Gents.

cheers

tony 🍻

2 hours ago, Farkas said:

Hi Gents,

i only spotted these fellas just as the auction was ending, got them for £17 + £3 postage.

I didn’t have time to look into them but i hope for £20 it was worth a punt.

5 miniatures with ribbon...

63A59840-3DA6-4DDE-8490-ED9B8224EEED.jpeg.8964ec14ef4fe2ca7baeea25f29ce1b0.jpeg

628C7D4B-B8EF-46F7-A5FD-73E18FA3CB6A.thumb.jpeg.1b3b5174dd5b63c5cfab6f1019cfc547.jpeg

Numbers 3 & 4 caught my eye the most.

I’ll post some pics when i get them but in the meantime... any information or observations are most welcome and appreciated Gents.

cheers

tony 🍻

Very nice mins Tony

Nice group and for a nice price too.

But only the first one is an official decoration from Belgium (Military Decoration 2nd class, given to non-officers for long service in the army). It's the version from the reign of King Albert I and presumably awarded after 1919 till some time after Albert's dead in 1934.

Second one is a non-official belgian medal for the occupation of the Rhine/Belgian Forces in Germany (FBA-BSD), see this topic for more info: 

3rd one is a Polish one (Can't remember which one but the RP on the medallion is typical for Polish medals)

Last 2 looks Belgian non-official medals. I've seen the 4th somewhere but can't remember where.

Overall: not a bad buy for only £20

Kind Regads,

Vincent

7 hours ago, VC89 said:

Nice group and for a nice price too.

But only the first one is an official decoration from Belgium (Military Decoration 2nd class, given to non-officers for long service in the army). It's the version from the reign of King Albert I and presumably awarded after 1919 till some time after Albert's dead in 1934.

Second one is a non-official belgian medal for the occupation of the Rhine/Belgian Forces in Germany (FBA-BSD), see this topic for more info: 

3rd one is a Polish one (Can't remember which one but the RP on the medallion is typical for Polish medals)

Last 2 looks Belgian non-official medals. I've seen the 4th somewhere but can't remember where.

Overall: not a bad buy for only £20

Kind Regads,

Vincent

Thanks for the information Vincent 🍻

&

Yes! 👇

2816268A-DA99-4069-9A85-D36E5B54F2A1.thumb.png.1cc786b6fc69e2cb3221940fb104c641.png

Cheers

tony