News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Named French group WWI and interwar period

Egorka

Hello! 

Last weekend walked by an antique market and got this group named to "M. Commandant GARDES". The "Prevoyance Sociale" medal is from 1934. Looking forward for research possibilities... and incentive to refresh my French. I don't know if the "Légion d'honneur" is wartime or for interwar period. I tend to think the later.

Are there rolls with information on a "Légion d'honneur" cavaliers? 

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

Edited by Egorka

7 hours ago, Bayern said:

Hello : M Commandant means Medicin Commandant , that is A Army doctor with the rank of a Major .

Thank you very much for this input! It actually makes the search much easier and fits perfectly to the post war medal  issued by Hygiene ministry.

I was understanding "M" stood for "Monsieur". But now I am smarter! Thanks!

Edited by Egorka

Looking through the list , I think, the veteran is GARDES Gaston Raoul Philippe (1889 - 1974) born, lived, and died in Paris (13 arrondissement). Legion of Honour cavalier by the decree 25 Dec 1929. Service record is available. But, it seems, I missed out on his Colonial medal with "Maroc" bar.

Service in WWI: 1914-1919 in  France. Wounded on 8 September 1916 in Somme: "Head fracture right side". Later in Morocco in 1919-1921.

The information matches quite well. One discrepancy is that the had Croix de Guerre with one ??? star. Cann't understand if it is written bronze, silver, or gilt star. But there is a palm on my CDG. Could this be a small pimp up by veteran? Did these things happen in France too? :)

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/public/mistral/leonore_fr?ACTION=RETROUVER&FIELD_1=NOM&VALUE_1=GARDES&NUMBER=6&GRP=0&REQ=((GARDES) %3aNOM )&USRNAME=nobody&USRPWD=4%24%34P&SPEC=9&SYN=1&IMLY=&MAX1=1&MAX2=1&MAX3=100&DOM=All'

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 23.11.54.jpg

Edited by Egorka

Egork.a : There were three types of star , bronze ,silver and gilded silver .the bronze for citations at regimental and brigade level . the silver for divisional level and the gilded silver for Army corps . the bronze palm was for Army citation and the silver palm for 5 citations at Army level . Gardes was citated at the order of the direction of the Medical service of the 10 th Army Corps .in that case corresponded a gilded star but not a palm .