News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unit Marked Artillery Luger

I have a 1917 DWM Artillery luger with Unit Markings at the rear above the lanyard which reads " M.W.A.J.R.186 Nr 17"  translated to  Minenwerfer Abteilung of Infantry Regiment 186, weapon number 17.  I am in search of any information containing this unit and their battle record or engagements in WW1. This post was also under The Great War 1914-1918 and member Bayern has informed me that "The 8th of October 1918 the IR 186 received his own Minenwerfer Company formed with elements detached from MW Kompagnie N56. The Regiment was created in the year 1915. near Roye France"  Any further information or photos of this unit would be appreciated.  Thank You.

IMG_0220 (640x363).jpg

IMG_0225 (640x557).jpg

IMG_0228 (640x429).jpg

IMG_0230 (591x640).jpg

IMG_0231 (640x398).jpg

IMG_0237 (368x640).jpg

IMG_0238 (640x559).jpg

IMG_0240 (2) (444x640).jpg

IMG_0244 (457x640).jpg

Hello Ed!

Bayern was absolutely right. The regiment (a Hessen one), belonged in 1918 to 112.Inf,.Brig. (56.Inf.Div.)

From july until October 19, the division was located near Bailleul (west of Armentières), then it fell beck back east of Roubaix.

Novembr 8, it was near Avelgem (east of Kortrijk)

Edited by The Prussian

Hello and congratulations on owning a wonderful luger.  I'm jealous!  The quotation about the creation of the regiment and the MW unit suggests that you have found the website for IR 186--GenWiki.  Just in case you haven't found it already, look near the botton of that page and you will find a section labeled "Literatur".  There are two sources listed: Die Hessen im Weltkrieg 1914 - 1918, nach Aufzeichnungen u. Berichten v. Mitkämpfern. Hrsg. v. F. W. Deiß; Charlottenburg, zum IR186 von Seite 97 bis 113; and Pfeffer, Georg und Neubronner, Carl: Geschichte des Infanterie-Regiments 186, Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter, G. Stalling, Oldenburg i. O., 1926, mit 282 Seiten, 74 Abbildungen, 4 von 6 Karten, und 20 Skizzen über den Kampf des Regiments an der Westfront ...  The second title will probably provide the most details about the history of you luger after it joined the Regiment and it is available through Bookfinder.com and ZVAB.com for a reasonable price.  Thanks again for sharing.  I'm still jealous!

Edited by dksck