News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Badge

Guest Rick Research

That is the "Vit?z" badge created on 10 August 1920 by the Horthy regime.

It bestowed the hereditary title of "Vit?z" (the same as a German "Ritter von") on holders of high bravery decorations such as the Gold Bravery Medal and so on. I believe it was an ADDITIONAL honor for a minority of super heroic deeds and was not automatically given with X.Y.Z awards. I also don't think it was given WITHOUT having received a bravery decoration.

It could be given to all ranks, making even enlisted men "knights."

Members were enrolled on a "Roll of the Brave," presented with land that was tied in hereditary entail to the oldest son-- and the oldest son of the oldest son... was intended to inherit this title. It came with a huge, ornate certificate that served as a patent of nobility.

In 1943 there had been 14,088 members approved, and 6,622 were awaiting processing, according to the late Dr. K-G Klietmann (1966).

THIS badge appears to be painted, so I am not sure if it is a late-WW2 one or a copy. It would not surprise me if these were being faked, given how significant they were. The very few I have sen were VERY well enamelled, but could have been 1920s pieces for WW1 bravery.

Guest Rick Research

I can't, but I hope somebody who knows Hungarian awards will be able to help. :beer:

The couple that I have seen had big metal "popsicle stick" slides like on the back of British cap badges-- I think these were usually slipped through the chest pocket button of a uniform. Of course, that wouldn't work very well on civilian clothes, so maybe there were two styles.

So, did your friend get some land in the bestowal??

:jumping:

As far as I know, no, but I really have no idea how it came about, except that I've been to a formal event where I've seen him, and at least one other person present, wearing the Vitez badge. The other person was European.

Edited by Mike Dwyer

• 10 months later...

Gents,

The Vitezi was reinstitued by an act passed in Hungary in 1993. This act specifically listed previous awards which were no longer to be worn and the reinstitution of some Hungarian awards forbidden by previous regimes. This act also abolished privileges which had previously been attached to the reinstitued awards. Therefore, no land would have been awarded with the Vitezi awarded subsequently. I asume this also applies to the hereditary nature of the award but I am not certain of this.

Regards,

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little slow t getting around to this section. Yes - this is exacty a new issue - they can be bought fairly easily - so the lustre of the title is a bit lost on these. Most of these that I have seen come with a clutch back pin system and pale in comparision to the WW2 ear ones - they were awarded into 1948 BTW. However by (as memor serves right) 1942-3 the priveledge of land had been used up and was no longer available to new recipients (who by that time were getting the award for battlefield merits in WW2) As for the hereditary nature of the award it still is passed on to the oldest son and apparently those who would have been bestowed the title by being the oldest son - yet were denied the title by the 1949-89 period can apply to have the titile awarded.